Can People Who Were Born Deaf Appreciate Music?

The Beethoven's Nightmare guys are better guitar players than I am and I CAN hear my instrument. Lol, really makes me think...:hmm:

I'm genuinely curious and I've been doing some searching online and a pretty common answer is "they can feel the vibrations" but is that all? Can deaf people determine changes in pitch or tone and appreciate the music in a completely different sense? I know some people might point out Beethoven as an example but I'm mainly referring to people who were born deaf and without the use of a hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Much appreciated!

I write music AND I was born Deaf. I use both viberations and HAs. I have very, very little hearing left if any at all. It isn't easy. I may wear HAs but I'm still Deaf by audiological standards. My audio wants me to get a blasted C.I.

Half Human | Half Machine | Marietta, GA | Other / Ambient / Industrial | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

I'm genuinely curious and I've been doing some searching online and a pretty common answer is "they can feel the vibrations" but is that all? Can deaf people determine changes in pitch or tone and appreciate the music in a completely different sense? I know some people might point out Beethoven as an example but I'm mainly referring to people who were born deaf and without the use of a hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Much appreciated!

I'm a musician, I play percussion, I mainly play the marimba in the Centerville Jazz Band/ Centerville 'World' Drumline, I'm deaf with CIs. But I sometimes had to play music without my CIs when it's raining outside. I mainly use my eyes to follow in my fellow section members in the marching band to where we are including the vibrations. I'm always placed in front of the drumset because the drumset is my vibration and my tempo. When i look in its hard for me to tell the tempo sometimes. But honestly? it takes a lot of hard practice and a lot of memorization to play the music. I have to work twice as hard than others in my group. And I try. Music is what keeps me going.

My pit technican posted my section's a video on youtube. We're playing a song called: Boombox by lonely island. Its about a minute long. You can see me with my very white bright cochlear implant in the video, Just look to the right in on the video i'm in the front of the video to the right next to a guy that's close to the camera. You'll see me trying to look in and keeping in pulse with the music by bouncing up and down. That's how i mainly follow the music.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-IoBqhpTlA]Centerville Front Ensemble - Boombox - YouTube[/ame]

I'm a musician, I play percussion, I mainly play the marimba in the Centerville Jazz Band/ Centerville 'World' Drumline, I'm deaf with CIs. But I sometimes had to play music without my CIs when it's raining outside. I mainly use my eyes to follow in my fellow section members in the marching band to where we are including the vibrations. I'm always placed in front of the drumset because the drumset is my vibration and my tempo. When i look in its hard for me to tell the tempo sometimes. But honestly? it takes a lot of hard practice and a lot of memorization to play the music. I have to work twice as hard than others in my group. And I try. Music is what keeps me going.

My pit technican posted my section's a video on youtube. We're playing a song called: Boombox by lonely island. Its about a minute long. You can see me with my very white bright cochlear implant in the video, Just look to the right in on the video i'm in the front of the video to the right next to a guy that's close to the camera. You'll see me trying to look in and keeping in pulse with the music by bouncing up and down. That's how i mainly follow the music.

Centerville Front Ensemble - Boombox - YouTube

That brings back memories of me in my high school days playing in the symphony and marching bands playing the drums and Xylophone. I'm pianist as well. I went with my marching band to a bunch of marching band competitions in the southeast (Georgia, South Carolina and Florida). It was a neat time.

Good video!

coolgirlspyer90, nice video and I loved the music :). Kudoes to you for all your hard work and for following your passion!

That reminds me of my days in middle school when I played the drums. I too would look at others to keep up with the tempo. Had a blast! I loved your video!

interest thread. i am deaf FULL both ear but i can feeling vibrate and beat. i do love dance music ;) i not hear music, but i enjoy read all lyric. this my favorite song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtLdRHvdMIA]Alice Cooper - Poison lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Oklahoma the people are Deaf and Hard Hearing love Shore Jersey big deal fan MTV HYPE tran fake skin an orange this year epic.

:laugh2::jaw::laugh2: :crazy::bowdown::crazy:

wtf? we talk about music not jersey shore. this not relate topic thread.

I guess it's because they think you won't be able to enjoy the music as the artist intended, the way that they enjoy it.

Hmmm....could be? You know sometimes art including music can be even more interesting seen in a way not thought of by the artist. Anyway any person enjoys the world around him is something lovely and should not be discounted.
Yeah I am sure peeps do assume one must hear every word and sound to truely appreciate music...only because they enjoy so much their own experience and want that joy for all. Well, I would like them not to ask all the time it doesn't feel good.

howag, try put cotton balls or ear tubes in ur ears...See what it's like...Also, when I have my hearing aid on, I enjoy music...esp. drums sounds...I watch videos in youtube in lyrics or there are some with American Sign Language...Go check them out...

howag, try put cotton balls or ear tubes in ur ears...See what it's like...Also, when I have my hearing aid on, I enjoy music...esp. drums sounds...I watch videos in youtube in lyrics or there are some with American Sign Language...Go check them out...

Ah thanks for the tip!

Lol I tried humming at different pitches and tones to see what it felt like with my hand on my throat.My earphones were in and my Dad walked in and asked what the hell I was listening to.

I guess I just thought that if it was solely vibrations that they felt then would deaf people be pretty limited to bassy music?

As a singer, this caught my eye. Try this: allow your mouth to drop open. Say "ah". Maintain the "ah" as you move your head all the way back and all the way down. Observe where you feel various parts of your body resonate. With your head back, you should feel it in your chest. With your head down, you should feel it in your teeth and sinuses. This is why (hearing) people instictively put their heads down when they're trying to convey something in a lower voice, as the sinuses will resonate better that way, and it's the sinuses that provide vocal resonance at higher frequencies.

Now as for being on-topic: oh, yeah. In the 90's, I taught a course in electronic music at Gallaudet. My students loved it. They were fascinated by music. The music program offered many different instrumental studies and it was very popular.

Unfortunately, it was axed. I have no idea if anything similar was ever reestablished, but I would certainly and gladly serve as adjunct faculty if it were.

Regarding limited to "bassy" music, that's not necessarily a requirement, not on a technical level. All sound is vibration, and the human body is sensitive to sound in more ways than through the ears - we're just not normally trained to respond to it. Two famous examples come to mind: Evelyn Glennie and Frankie Wilde. Dame Glennie became deaf as a child and ended up graduating at the top of her class in music in London. Frankie Wilde lost his hearing from excessive headphone use at high gain but continued to create amazing mixes after going deaf and before disappearing. Both learned to feel sound at all kinds of frequencies, not just low. I would like to learn how to do this. I just have to set aside time for it, which is hard when there's a lot going on already. ;-)

Back