Can People Who Were Born Deaf Appreciate Music?

I turn up bass very loud, very high bass. I like quick tempo. I like how can feel bass my chest bone. Sometimes I hold iPhone earphone tight my hands, feel beat my hands.

The problem is, that hearing people put too much reliance on music. Personally, I listen to it and I love it(it would pain me if I couldn't), but I don't plan dates around it. And, this causes a dilemma because it is so much a part of a hearing person's life hearing people fear losing the ability to hear it. So, they don't always feel a, "connection" (or should I say immediately feel a connection)with people who cannot hear, understandably.

Sound

Sure. I am not really a big music lover. I did learn to play the bass in childhood.

And I actually do enjoy the vibrations of tympani. Live. The vibrations are very powerful, and even if I didn't have my feet on the floor, I can feel them on my skin.

I can also feel vibration of my dog barking as it bounces off a glass window.

Plus my daughter is a musician in the symphony. If a concert is bass related, she will get me in and seated in the front row. The big wave of sound is quite fun.

Great answer. I was wondering how I could feel noise when I can't hear a thing. I do feel my dogs bark. If I put my hand on the sink I know the garbage disposal is on. If I lean against the bathroom sink when getting ready I feel the garage door opening. Thanks for such good information. Do you feel large semi trucks on the freeway? I do and it actually hurts my ears!!! Just curious. :angel:

Great answer. I was wondering how I could feel noise when I can't hear a thing. I do feel my dogs bark. If I put my hand on the sink I know the garbage disposal is on. If I lean against the bathroom sink when getting ready I feel the garage door opening. Thanks for such good information. Do you feel large semi trucks on the freeway? I do and it actually hurts my ears!!! Just curious. :angel:

Yes I can feel trucks, and also cars on the street when I am walking.

Hearing with vibrations

I can't hear the cars yet. But four wheel drive and large tires on the street really hurt for some reason. Wow, learned something new once again. I really do miss the music and hope in time I will learn to enjoy it once again.:angel:

I turn up bass very loud, very high bass. I like quick tempo. I like how can feel bass my chest bone. Sometimes I hold iPhone earphone tight my hands, feel beat my hands.

Exactly. You "listen" kinesthetically.

Sigh. Howag...did you know that there is more than a few Deaf musicians out there? Alice In Chain's drummer Shane Dale, DJ Sean Forbes, the world's only Deaf band, Beethoven's Nightmare, and etc.

I am born Deaf and I am owner of at least 400 music CDs mostly Gothic metal, darkwave EBM, and Industrial. And I don't need to explain my appreciation to the tastes of my music.

Have you ever tried to feel the musíc instead of listening. Try it and concentrate on what you are able to feel.
So the answer to your question is obviously yes, but you knew that before already.

Beethoven is a pretty bad example. I think he was able to remember the sound and therefore played it all in his head. But that really had nothing to do with feeling vibrations.

Oh, ever put your hand on your throat while speaking? Try it for some time, you will be able to notice there a many different vibrations. If you get to know those differences you will be able to connect each different feeling to a different sound. Same with music.

I have a conductive loss due to no ear canals. I hear through bone conduction....meanign I actually FEEL sounds and FEEL music.

Sigh. Howag...did you know that there is more than a few Deaf musicians out there? Alice In Chain's drummer Shane Dale, DJ Sean Forbes, the world's only Deaf band, Beethoven's Nightmare, and etc.

I have seen clips of Beethoven's Nightmare. They are pretty amazing.

I love listening to music and I always have radio on when I drive to places. I can insta recognize Beethoven when I hear that. That's because my little sister used to practice on the piano by playing Beethoven. I listen to a wide variety of music but my favorite generes are Goth and Punk..

How very informative! Thank you!

The problem is, that hearing people put too much reliance on music. Personally, I listen to it and I love it(it would pain me if I couldn't), but I don't plan dates around it. And, this causes a dilemma because it is so much a part of a hearing person's life hearing people fear losing the ability to hear it.

It's not like that. It is simply being able to appreciate the music due to
the ability to hear it in full capability.

A deaf or HoH person no matter how much they appreciate the music -
they miss certain range of frequencies necessary to hear every and each sound.
So, unless you are Evelyn Glennie or someone like her,
I doubt you can hear music as well as the average hearing person can - let alone a music lover.
And since you can't, you don't find it as important as the hearing people do.

It is the same as the hearing people finding sign language, TTY, CC
and other assistive devices great, but they don't find it as important as we the hearing impaired do.

Fuzzy

Lol may I recommend Traktor by Wretch 32, I have the instrumental and with the bass turned up I can imagine you would enjoy it :)

Exactly. You "listen" kinesthetically.

I've often wondered if a PET scan of my brain would show that the sound was being processed not as "sound" but more vibro-tactily.....the music makes me want to dance!

the music makes me want to dance!

:)

That reminds me of one of the episodes of Third Rock of the Sun where
Harry subscribed to the CD club,
and once they put the CD into the player they started to dance involuntarily and panicked :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

remember that ?
It's on the rerun now - I love the show!

Fuzzy

Huh. It is funny but most hearing friends ask "what about music? Won't you miss it when you go deaf? Its so sad they can't hear music, they don't know what they are missing!"
I am now curious why that is always what hearing people are most concerned about. I think seeing signed cheers and poetry and feeling the surging rythyms is more then enough...I hear music and yet I don't think I have any thing to fear...its all awesome!

Huh. It is funny but most hearing friends ask "what about music? Won't you miss it when you go deaf? Its so sad they can't hear music, they don't know what they are missing!"
I am now curious why that is always what hearing people are most concerned about. I think seeing signed cheers and poetry and feeling the surging rythyms is more then enough...I hear music and yet I don't think I have any thing to fear...its all awesome!

I guess it's because they think you won't be able to enjoy the music as the artist intended, the way that they enjoy it.

I saw that movie when a screening of it came to local Deaf festival couple of years ago - I really liked that film and discussions at the Festival about it.

Back