Can I sue gym?

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
Can I sue gym, if they not mention things about my contract before signing up?

No. It is your responsibility to read the contract. Never sign anything without reading it first.

I did read it and contract didn't say anything about what would happen, if account would be on hold. Now they say my medical reason why I stopped going was not enough to cancel account. I found out they were taking money out from my account that was not authorized.

I did read it and contract didn't say anything about what would happen, if account would be on hold. Now they say my medical reason why I stopped going was not enough to cancel account. I found out they were taking money out from my account that was not authorized.
If you didn't authorize it, how did they access it? Was your identity stolen?

I don't know how they accessed it. That's what I'm trying to figure out with the bank right now too.

Presumably you authorized a monthly bank transfer to pay your account. Or did you send a cheque every month?

Wouldn't this show up on your bank statement?

How do you pay? By automatic payments (which give them an authorization to withdraw money from your bank account before or on due date)?

Medical issues are no excuse to stop going. As matter of fact, if someone has medical issues, it would often be mentioned that they should go more often.

If you didn't authorize it, how did they access it? Was your identity stolen?

I think you have your monthly fees automatically withdrawn from your account so they would have account # for your credit card . I was going to try to sign up at a gym but I refused to give them my account #.

Okay, was just wondering. They normally send me an e-mail if any activity is going on with my bank account, but I didn't get any.

Okay, was just wondering. They normally send me an e-mail if any activity is going on with my bank account, but I didn't get any.
Sign in your bank account online and turn an alert on so they will send you an email whenever a withdrawal is made.

They have different alerts that you can enable or disable. One for direct deposits, one for withdrawals, etc.

BTW, you can try to ask your fitness center if you can change payment methods so that way you can change auto payments to paper bills.

Every gym may have their own way of billing people . I am not sure how you signed up or what kind of agreement was made to pay each month ,or if was one time payment. I don't think you even sue a gym if you get hurt . I believe you waive your rights when sign on the dotted line.

I think you have your monthly fees automatically withdrawn from your account so they would have account # for your credit card . I was going to try to sign up at a gym but I refused to give them my account #.
Yes, but that would be an authorized withdrawal. The OP complained that the withdrawals were not authorized. That means they were done without the member's permission.

If the member voluntarily supplied the information during registration those withdrawals would be authorized. If the account information was stolen, that's another matter. It depends on whether or not the member originally granted access.

That's why I asked.

Yes, but that would be an authorized withdrawal. The OP complained that the withdrawals were not authorized. That means they were done without the member's permission.

If the member voluntarily supplied the information during registration those withdrawals would be authorized. If the account information was stolen, that's another matter. It depends on whether or not the member originally granted access.

That's why I asked.

I know that would be an 'authorized withdrawal' someone asked how could the gym get money out of the OP account . So I said if the person gave their credit card account # to the gym money can be taken out that way and could be authorize or unauthorized . We do not know the gym policy , they may be allowed to take money out if a person break their agreement with the gym. You really have asked a lot questions before signing any agreement that involve you paying $$$ for a service . I did when I was thinking of going to a gym and I did not like their policy so I did not go. I asked questions before signing anything.

It will all depend on what the contract says on payment methods and if ti says its ok to cancel the contract due to medical conditions, or what medical conditions are acceptable to cancel it.

Read your contract and receipt again. You had to provide a source for payment, thus authorizing withdrawals whether you're sick, lazy, dead, etc unless a clause is included to cancel it. As it stands, you're still obligated to pay your membership dues.

Read your contract and receipt again. You had to provide a source for payment, thus authorizing withdrawals whether you're sick, lazy, dead, etc unless a clause is included to cancel it. As it stands, you're still obligated to pay your membership dues.

Yeah , that is why you have to carefully read the contract and ask questions if you do not understand it . I was at a DR. office and was asked sign an agreement and I read it first. There was one clause that said 'anyone' could see our medical record, meaning any Joe Blow could walk in and just ask to see anyone medical record and read it. The woman behind the desk did not believe me until she read it herself . The DR. office had to print new agreements because they had no idea that clause was in it. People jut signing and having no idea they just allowed their next door neighbor to see their medical records. There was support to a second clause that you signs if you DID NOT want Joe Blow to see your medical record but there was none there.

Back