Can I be fired for safety or work reasons?

ravensteve1961 said:
Well theres a differant kind of termination. I was told they cannot fire you if you go deaf. They cant hold you if youre not gonna work or cant work. I was told they will rehire me when the situation improves.And you know how the goverment is?? Courts are very serous with employers fired them because of a medical reason. Even Courts are serous if the hear your been fired because of youre race,Jessie jackson proved that. Courts are even more serous if you been fired because of sexaul harrassmernt. The ACLU proved that. So if they do give me the runaround the ADA will make sure i get my job back.
Hmm... they either fired you cuz you were deaf or cuz you couldn't do the job. If you can't do the job, then ask for something else. Don't just sit there complaining about not having a job when you can make better use of your time to get something else. :roll:

Raven said:
I don't apperciate being defamed in a topic that I am not even taking part in. Please kindly shove it.
This is nothing about you. She was referring to ravensteve1961. Sorry for the confusion. Members usually shorten the name when talking about them. For instance, people refer to me as "Vamp" instead of "VamPyroX". If you want, we could change your name for you to something different if that would make you feel better.

Members, from now on... start using "ravensteve" instead of "raven". We don't want to hurt our wonderful member's feelings. :)

Raven said:
I don't apperciate being defamed in a topic that I am not even taking part in. Please kindly shove it.

i apologize and Vampy was correct when he posted saying i was referring to Ravensteve1961

Vampy -- thank u for the clarification :D i will now use the entire SN to have the difference clearly stated :D

Oceanbreeze said:
That is also not how she is irl. She is "done up" that way for television viewers. That also is NOT a true representation of a real-life judge. In fact, no judge in their right mind would dare be that way towards a litigant or defendant.

I never said she was that way in real life, I watched her shows and she is really tough on people who don't proof themselves in court, or make excuses to get out of the money they owe, etc. I always laugh at the way she talks because, She is very smart judge and knows when someone is lying or being plain dumb. :lol:

VamPyroX said:
This is nothing about you. She was referring to ravensteve1961. Sorry for the confusion. Members usually shorten the name when talking about them. For instance, people refer to me as "Vamp" instead of "VamPyroX". If you want, we could change your name for you to something different if that would make you feel better.

Members, from now on... start using "ravensteve" instead of "raven". We don't want to hurt our wonderful member's feelings. :)

Vamp:
LOL about the confusion/misunderstanding here ! ....
Wonder if the new Raven want to keep or change
his screename ?

VamPyroX said:
Hmm... they either fired you cuz you were deaf or cuz you couldn't do the job. If you can't do the job, then ask for something else. Don't just sit there complaining about not having a job when you can make better use of your time to get something else. :roll:

I'm starting to see that the word "termination" here might have been a poor choice by ravensteve. Every time he talks, the story changes just a little bit more, maybe it's a bit clearer now. They didn't fire him, he just chose not to work while he was dealing with his new problem. Some companies call that "disability leave". Sometimes it is actually the employee quitting the job while they sort it out, in hopes that the company values them enough to give them their job back later. The problem is if you don't get an actual agreement that you're still employed, you're not guaranteed your job back. Hey, you can come back in 1 year and say, well, the implant surgery wasn't that great, it isn't perfect, can I come back now, still kinda deaf?

I work with a salaried employee who got her cochlear implant surgery last year -- the surgery got SCREWED UP. She couldn't work for 6 months, she couldn't walk, she couldn't sit up without getting dizzy. She got approved for short term disability leave. My boss assigned several people to take up the slack while she was out, unpaid, BUT STILL RECEIVING her medical benefits. She still had a job -- she still did some work, on occasion, as her health permitted, but by large and far she was not 100% for 6 months. My employer was okay with that.

Ravensteve, if that's the case with your employer, great. If you ARE NOT OFFICIALLY EMPLOYED any longer by your theater, all bets are off. You QUIT and you may have a hard time proving otherwise. FIND OUT which one is it.

-

Unfortunate thing about this is the assumption that 6 months of rehab with the cochlear implant (CI) will allow ravensteve to hear again.

i was born hearing, lost my hearing through menengitis. I got the cochlear implant at the age of 6 (first child in teh state of nevada) I am now 20 years old and I can talk to people like my mom on the phone since im familiar with her voice, but anybody else, i cant clearly understand.

I have the Nucleus 22 and im assuming ravensteve will get the 24, so it might help somewhat more than mine, however the 24 isnt a vast improvement over the 22.

I hate to say this ravensteve and hurt much hope of hearing again, but its not going to be the same. Ever. However with extensive rehab and therapy, you should be able to hear fine again. (extensive = 5-10 years, i have 8 years of rehab/therapy in my belt)

I disagree vamp. Scintist need to move a little more quickly on stem cell project and hair re-growing generation.They need more boost on both stem cell project and hair re-growing generation.And then we all might be able to get our hearing back.

-

^^ That would be nice, however once you get a CI, the ear that has the CI can never get the stem cell reserach stuff and hear again.

however you can use the stem cell research on your opposite ear just fine.

im expecting it to be ready to be implemented in deaf people around year 2025-2030

We're still a good 15-20 years away before anybody receives the stem cell research.

Cjanik said:
im expecting it to be ready to be implemented in deaf people around year 2025-2030

We're still a good 15-20 years away before anybody receives the stem cell research.
Ill be too god damned old by then or maybe dead.

ravensteve1961 said:
I disagree vamp. Scintist need to move a little more quickly on stem cell project and hair re-growing generation.They need more boost on both stem cell project and hair re-growing generation.And then we all might be able to get our hearing back.
Oh wait... I just realized. The Republicans are against stem cell research. I guess you're gonna have to become a democrat so that we can get stem cell research so that you can become hearing again so that you can become a republican again. :Owned:

VamPyroX said:
No, not a lawyer... work it out first. Don't go crying "lawsuit" without trying other things first. :thumb:

The ADA was signed over 14 yrs ago. Business communities had 14 yrs to make them selves accessible to the deaf. The deaf communities have been patient with business communities for 14 yrs.

Its time to stop playing the patience game and start using the courts to fix problems. A good ADA lawyer with lots of experience with deaf communities would be Dr. Richard Rosen ( rosenlaw@att.net ) and he'll bite them hard for you!

Richard

Cjanik said:
^^ That would be nice, however once you get a CI, the ear that has the CI can never get the stem cell reserach stuff and hear again.

however you can use the stem cell research on your opposite ear just fine.

:eek: if I had to wait for that long and I'd be in 50's when its ready to be implemented in deaf people. Wish they can speed it up while I'm still young. :whistle:

Back