Can I be fired for safety or work reasons?

Cheri said:
If that happens take your case to Judge Judy, I am sure she would have so much paient with someone like you not! :thumb:
She will bitch-slap ravensteve1961 to hell! ;)

ravensteve1961 said:
Thats what they told me. When i get the implant and i can hear again then they will rehire me. I have several witnesses to back this up. If they back out their word and wont rehire me theres gonna be hell in court.

Since you don't say how long ago this was, I look forward to hearing about your future lawsuit.

I been thinking about all the job. I hope they are company, and manager will understand the ADA Law. I hope they would be in a good job.

ravensteve1961 said:
Thats what they told me. When i get the implant and i can hear again then they will rehire me. I have several witnesses to back this up. If they back out their word and wont rehire me theres gonna be hell in court.

why would the agency force Deaf people to get their cochlear implants. That is full of bull shit.

Would you sit next to Scott Patterson at the court? I may see you on T.V.

Dennis said:
Since you don't say how long ago this was, I look forward to hearing about your future lawsuit.
Ok how long was this,,, I lost my hearing in october 3 months ago i told my boss in late november and they terminate me in early december. So i think my operation will begin in march. ITS DOCTORS who are holding this up. They think doing tests is making sure the surgery is safe. And the CI will take anywhere from 6 months to a year of training. Then once i can hear and communicate again ill walk up to my boss and say can i have my job back? and if he gives me an application and interviews me and say im not quilfied he can go to this guy.
wapner.jpg

Im sure he`ll love to hear his excuses.

And just how old are you? And this all just happened last month?

Just how bad do you want this job? If you really want it back, go talk to the manager NOW. Get them to put in writing that by this date and time, they'll put you back to work again.

I doubt they'll just give you your job back. Chances are, they're rid of you and now they're hired someone to replace you. You need to talk to them NOW and have them guarantee you your job back in writing, not LATER.

If you wait, you probably will have to go through the hiring process again just like everyone else. They could still just say that they're not hiring right now because they've already replaced you and / or you left and they don't hire back people who left.

If you try to bring them to court after you "fix your medical problem." You'd have to prove that the policy exists, and I doubt there is any such policy. Go get your job back NOW.

Last edited:
I cant do my job while im deaf. That job requires you have a walkie talkie. And ansering customers questions. Plus you must hear if the movie is loud or soft. You must report sound or picture problems to the projectionist. Reba used to work in the movie theater ask her how importaint it is to work in the theater. Like i said i have witnesses who said they have me hired back when my medical condition improves i also have backing reports from doctors how i went deaf that i can prove to the court. Plus i have backing from ADA on this one.

ravensteve1961 said:
I cant do my job while im deaf.

Yes, you can. There are reasonable solutions to the job duties you stated for deaf people.

It sounds like you had a manager-level job. I imagine your responsibilities were far bigger than what you just listed.

That job requires you have a walkie talkie.

Why does it require a walkie talkie? Because everyone needs to get in touch with you at any time? There are easy solutions like pagers or having someone who can hear operate the walkie talkie. I have worked with deaf mall security guards, they always work in pairs with someone who can hear the talkie. That worked out great.

And ansering customers questions.

That's a problem that everyone faces and not every person can clearly understand everyone. I imagine that the theater area can get noisy all the time. It would be your job to find out how to best get the customer to get you to understand the question, which could be to write down the question or be at a location where you can hear them better.

Plus you must hear if the movie is loud or soft.

*shrug* Can't help you there. I don't think that "solving your medical problem" will completely fix this. Ditto for "answering customer questions".

You must report sound or picture problems to the projectionist.

Easy enough to do from a picture soundpoint. No, not as easy as picking up a walkie talkie and reporting it, but then again, theater technology has been around for longer than walkie talkies have been widely available. Perhaps it's time to review policies that have been around "forever" and simply adjust them so you can continue to do your job, hearing or deaf.

My job requires me to use the telephone daily. Sometimes I cannot use my implant to rely only on hearing -- a terrible customer accent, my batteries are depleted, or I don't feel well with it on -- I can function perfectly without hearing. I have set up my job to allow me to function with or without hearing, INTERCHANGABLY. You can do it too.

ravensteve1961 said:
Dennis talk to reba,,,You have no knowleadge of the theater business.
Have you ever heard of taking a different position? There are thousands of jobs out there for people like you. Might I recommend working for the trash collector?

I was manager at Blockbuster for almost five years. Part of the job requires me to use the phone. I can deal with most phone calls, but if there was a phone call I couldn't understand... then I have a co-worker take the call and interpret for me. It has never been a problem for me.

Well when i get my hearing back from a CI and if they give me any bullshit a runaround the courts will handle this.

ravensteve, in the old times, everyone said that deafies cannot become doctors yet nowaday, there are good handful of deaf doctors in America. They proved them wrong. Also here's quote for you from I. King Jordan: "Deaf people can do anything but hear."

You just want to look for 'fault' to blame because of your job termination. you are 43 years old... good grief.

Like what Vampy said, you can try trash collector position?

VamPyroX said:
Might I recommend working for the trash collector?

trash collecting would be good for Raven so he can smell his own stink from his constant whining and complaining and other BS :lol:

ravensteve1961 said:
Ok how long was this,,, I lost my hearing in october 3 months ago i told my boss in late november and they terminate me in early december. So i think my operation will begin in march. ITS DOCTORS who are holding this up. They think doing tests is making sure the surgery is safe. And the CI will take anywhere from 6 months to a year of training. Then once i can hear and communicate again ill walk up to my boss and say can i have my job back? and if he gives me an application and interviews me and say im not quilfied he can go to this guy.
wapner.jpg

Im sure he`ll love to hear his excuses.

You forgot to tell your boss to permission to your surgery for your ear. You have to ask your boss can permission. But, the rule is must ask boss, I think it will be okay for recovery to your home 6 weeks by 90 days permission for sugery. You have talk to doctor how long will be recovery to get better. Then talk to your boss and know what suppose to do for work. You may have to use just easier lift not heavy weight.

That why I am responable and know what I do and tell my boss when I set an appointment to get doctor for exam.

Cheri said:
If that happens take your case to Judge Judy, I am sure she would have so much paient with someone like you not! :thumb:

That is also not how she is irl. She is "done up" that way for television viewers. That also is NOT a true representation of a real-life judge. In fact, no judge in their right mind would dare be that way towards a litigant or defendant.

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:
Dennis talk to reba,,,You have no knowleadge of the theater business.

*smirk*

You don't know that. Don't blow me off and not bother educating me to YOUR viewpoint because you wrongly assume something. The theater business isn't any more special than working at Six Flags. There are reasonable accomodations for deaf people who are just as qualified as hearing people. It's UP TO YOU TO CHAMPION for your job!

Don't feed me this BS that you can't work there because there is a policy that you can't have a medical problem and work at the theater. You're not telling us the whole story. Now that some more facts have come out, it sounds like you voluntarily left to get the implant. Maybe it really means you are taking a leave of absence and still do have a job but you're on unpaid disability leave, but you never said that. You said YOU WERE TERMINATED!

Good luck getting your job back.

Well theres a differant kind of termination. I was told they cannot fire you if you go deaf. They cant hold you if youre not gonna work or cant work. I was told they will rehire me when the situation improves.And you know how the goverment is?? Courts are very serous with employers fired them because of a medical reason. Even Courts are serous if the hear your been fired because of youre race,Jessie jackson proved that. Courts are even more serous if you been fired because of sexaul harrassmernt. The ACLU proved that. So if they do give me the runaround the ADA will make sure i get my job back.

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:

If they're gonna require implants, make sure they pay for them up-front!

Originally Posted by Fly Free
trash collecting would be good for Raven so he can smell his own stink from his constant whining and complaining and other BS

I don't apperciate being defamed in a topic that I am not even taking part in. Please kindly shove it.

Back