can hoh people get ssdi??

msbrooks

Reaction score
I was wodering because i am just hard of hearing and not completely deaf i applied for it before ssi and i got denied because they said i can work and i made good grades in school but they donot know all the bs i been through to get to where i am. I dont even got a degree.

SSD (Social Security Disability) is for anyone who has worked at least ten years (full time) altogether and is UNABLE to work (usually ordered by doctor). I know someone who is hearing and had heart attack then is UNABLE to work (tempory) and collects SSD. Another person I know is hearing and had a massive stroke then now is UNABLE to work and collects SSD.

Rather you're deaf or hard of hearing, it doesn't mean you CAN'T work. If your doctor said you CAN'T work then you might able to receive SSI (Supplemental Security Income) or SSD.

If you want more information .. you can look up on website Social Security Online

I was wodering because i am just hard of hearing and not completely deaf i applied for it before ssi and i got denied because they said i can work and i made good grades in school but they donot know all the bs i been through to get to where i am. I dont even got a degree.

They nowadays automatically deny the claim and its in your court that you have to put up a tooth and nail fight to get it. You may need to use attorneys and the procces takes a long time like 10 years.

Richard

msbrooks ... What is the reason you CAN'T work? Do you have a doctor note saying you CAN"T work? If you do then you can attach it when apply for SSI or SSD (if you've worked more then ten years full time altogether).

They do not give SSD to any hard of hearing. U have to be 100 percent deaf. Yeah I understand where ur are at now, my husband is dealing wtih same issue. He has bad back and walk alike old man yet they said he can lift 50 lbs. What a joke.

They do not give SSD to any hard of hearing. U have to be 100 percent deaf. Yeah I understand where ur are at now, my husband is dealing wtih same issue. He has bad back and walk alike old man yet they said he can lift 50 lbs. What a joke.

Wrong.... stoned deaf still are denied... it has to be ordered by dr for health s reason... and the one must work more than 10 yrs first.....I was on SSDI for my health.. not my deafness...

Wrong.... stoned deaf still are denied... it has to be ordered by dr for health s reason... and the one must work more than 10 yrs first.....I was on SSDI for my health.. not my deafness...

Maybe I am wrong and you re right.. But I was though that must work more than 6 years then can apply it? ummm :):):)

msbrooks ... What is the reason you CAN'T work? Do you have a doctor note saying you CAN"T work? If you do then you can attach it when apply for SSI or SSD (if you've worked more then ten years full time altogether).

Well he was denied by SSI.... one of my friend who graduated from the deaf school... and attended to the community college... he was denied because he was hard of hearing... he was denied so many times.. i guess he passed the hearing tests... now he is working at deaf school in Maryland...

I guess you passed the hearing test thats why you were denied by SSI

Not for me, I got SSA because I am stoned deaf. And many friends of mine too, if they got laid off or move away, they got SSDI no problem, they are deaf too. It does not have to be health reason for them to collect SSI, SSA or SSDI. SSDI yeah, u have to work for more than 10 years. With SSI or SSA u don't have to work more than 10 years.

I guess you passed the hearing test thats why you were denied by SSI

Yup then he's supposed not to tell SSI about his hearing loss but too late.

Need find other way to do that.

I failed the 2 hearing test in last year, one was requested by SSI and one was fo hearing aids if I can get benefit for that but none of them are benefit, very smaller chance.

Not for me, I got SSA because I am stoned deaf. And many friends of mine too, if they got laid off or move away, they got SSDI no problem, they are deaf too. It does not have to be health reason for them to collect SSI, SSA or SSDI. SSDI yeah, u have to work for more than 10 years. With SSI or SSA u don't have to work more than 10 years.

He asked about SSDI.... Not SSA.... deafness has nothing to do with SSDI....

Yup then he's supposed not to tell SSI about his hearing loss but too late.

Need find other way to do that.

I failed the 2 hearing test in last year, one was requested by SSI and one was fo hearing aids if I can get benefit for that but none of them are benefit, very smaller chance.

Does not matter if he did not tell that he has hearing loss... SSI is still doing the hearing tests to see if that person is qualified for SSI...

They nowadays automatically deny the claim and its in your court that you have to put up a tooth and nail fight to get it. You may need to use attorneys and the procces takes a long time like 10 years.

Richard

took me 3 yrs.

He asked about SSDI.... Not SSA.... deafness has nothing to do with SSDI....
At social security office they will do paper work on SSI, SSA and SSDI to see if they are qualify for any of them. If he ask for SSDI, then he must have some SS money with his name which was take out by his pay check for 10 years. So if he has no money to pay SS tax while he was at work then he can't earn SSDI. Then they will give him SSA instead of only if he is meet their criteria.

Now u telling me deaf people don't get SSDI? I am at loss what u mean by this? Know almost every deaf person who stay home and collect SSDI. There is nothing wrong with their health except they are deaf. So please explain to me more clear by what u mean?

I know a deaf friend who got laid off and he got SSDI because he is deaf and I guess he worked for more than 10 years. So it doesn't always means health reason.

You re correct. I recieved SSA when I was in college but they cut me off right away when I reported that I have a job. One of my good friend who is hoh , he cldn't get any ss benefits because they told him that since he can hear a little and speak good, he shldn't have plm finding a job. He s little pissed off but he just shrug off as he have no plm finding a job anyway.

You re correct. I recieved SSA when I was in college but they cut me off right away when I reported that I have a job. One of my good friend who is hoh , he cldn't get any ss benefits because they told him that since he can hear a little and speak good, he shldn't have plm finding a job. He s little pissed off but he just shrug off as he have no plm finding a job anyway.

Really, they cut u off right after u told them u have a job? I let them know I had a part time job and they let me keep SSA for many years till two years ago when I got a new part time job which pay more. So 9 month work trial was done from past and let me keep two month of SSA pay checks right after I informed them about a new job. I still have medicare part a for next 8 years and pay part b myself.

Yeah tell me about this about ur friend, they denied my husband three time. They believe he can lift 50 lbs and can do work. ( his dr limited him to 10 lbs) And they told him, he is not over 50 yet so which it is making harder for anyone younger than 50 to collect SSDI. I will let u know next month at court hearing to see if they denied him or approve with new evidence of how serious his back problem. My friend who is deaf and not so bad back alike my husband, she got SSDI no problem. I do not see her walk with cane or fall down all the time alike my husband did.. I do believe they gave her SSDI because she is deaf, not her back problem. ( she can talk on the phone with HA and talk very well, I am sure she failed hearing test).

^^^ Yes they did say I could keep the benefit if I earn less than 400 from my job. But I m working full time which I earn over 400 a month. It s fine with me as I dont really need benefits. I wld rather to give these money away to people who really need it more than I do.

As for your hubby and friend, yea sometime government has werid requirements.

^^^ Yes they did say I could keep the benefit if I earn less than 400 from my job. But I m working full time which I earn over 400 a month. It s fine with me as I dont really need benefits. I wld rather to give these money away to people who really need it more than I do.

As for your hubby and friend, yea sometime government has werid requirements.

They do not give u 9 month work trail? I don't get it. Oh well, me too I am free without SSA and pay my SS tax just alike everyone else. It felt so good. :)

Back