California - education options for UHL?

And we corrected the misinformation implied that what is in writing on the internet is also the way it occurs in actual practice. So what is the issue? You added your 2 cents worth, and we elaborated on what you Googled by giving real life experience as examples.

Oh, Jillio.

I have the document, from CSD in my physical possession. I provided a link on the internet so that the OP and others can view their eligibility requirements.
The requirements are pretty clear.

Just can't admit when you are wrong.:roll: Another thread destroyed because it has become all about CSign knowing more than anyone else and having learned it with only a few years experience in parenting an HOH, mainstreamed child accommodated with SEE.:roll:

Like I said, the size of your ego is astounding. And you just keep right on reinforcing that opinion.:roll:

I'm done in this thread, and I suggest that others follow that lead. We have been successful in insuring that the OP gets correct information and that misconceptions are corrected for the benefit of the OP and her child. Job well done.

The only thing that can occur from here on out is providing attention where it is best not provided.

Just can't admit when you are wrong.:roll: Another thread destroyed because it has become all about CSign knowing more than anyone else and having learned it with only a few years experience in parenting an HOH, mainstreamed child accommodated with SEE.:roll:

Like I said, the size of your ego is astounding. And you just keep right on reinforcing that opinion.:roll:

I'm done in this thread, and I suggest that others follow that lead. We have been successful in insuring that the OP gets correct information and that misconceptions are corrected for the benefit of the OP and her child. Job well done.

The only thing that can occur from here on out is providing attention where it is best not provided.
That's the important part.

CSDR was willing to accept my child w uhl in a heartbeat. CSD wasn't clear...so that's why I suggested the OP to meet with them. I'm currently trying to gather research to show why uhl may benefit in deaf schools...I really wish we could pour resources together for that. My kid is doing ok so far in public schools because its an awesome school...but what if we move and that school doesn't work? Or if we find that her needs change? I want to be well informed w data and research...it's a process. Parents w uhl kids have challenges of proving that uhl impacts educational progress and language development as well...
A lot of times, kids with unilateral hearing loss may have syndromes that affect their abilty to aquire spoken language. Heck, with the hearing kids with my syndrome,(even the normal IQ ones) kids may have severe spoken language issues.

Get this, I know even though they're a school for the deaf, they also have accepted people who are 100% hearing and do not know sign language.

They fit in very well.

That is correct. Kids who have communication issues, such as due to CP, apraxia or tracheostomies can use ASL as a primary language. There is even a Deaf School that offers a sizable formal program for those kids: Children's Center for Communication (CCC) Programs

yeah, it does. I have similar prognosis as she originally posted about her son, being severely profound in one and 20-30db (normal) in the other while growing up unilateral in elementary. It wasn't for me until 10+ years later things started to progress downhill in terms of being able to hear, and I needed accomodations more, and I had trouble in certain courses like CP/AP chemistry - we had a combined program, so it was completely audial based teaching.

I was around finishing HS when the severity kicked in, so fortunately I didn't catch the bus for language/developmental delays. But my circumstances were situational and different in everyone's case, being hard to predict. A deaf school will always offer the best social reinforcement possible in the event something happens, like a 'backup' in the event the 'horrible' happens.

It's always tough since social and education is always a top in any parent's concern for their kids, sometimes you just can't have everything.

True,but naisho what about the option of attending a regional dhh program? Do you think that should be an option for unilateral dhh kids?

I haven't said anything to the contrary- but I appreciate all the effort you guys are putting into painting this picture of me. Even though your (general your) picture is completely distorted.

That is not what I was doing. I am just sick and tired of people spreading inaccurate information about Deaf schools. Enough is enough. Nothing about you personally.

Exactly. And since so many of those children do not have the Deaf School as their parental preferred and initial placement, they generally come in the later elementary grades from a mainstream and/or oral only placement where they have never had the opportunity to learn ASL.
Exactly!!!!!! There are still a lot of kids who transfer in and use ASL as a second language.

They may have used speech expressively, but I can guarantee you that person used ASL receptively.

They wouldn't place a student in the CSD if they didn't use/benefit from ASL.

I have never heard of ASL not being fully accessible to deaf/hoh children or even hearing children.

They have deaf kids who use picture systems to communicate due to special needs. Even this so called criteria isn't true. This kind of misinformation can deter parents from seeking services at the deaf school.

and that is why I told CSign straight up not to make any statements about deaf schools without making sure that they are true or not. It can falsly lead to new parents not seeking out Deaf schools as an option. It is an old trend (misconceptions about Deaf schools) that needs to be stopped.

Yea, let's hope the OP can ignore all these false statemetns about the Deaf schools and contact them.

Ok, I better stop while I am ahead. good luck to the OP and of course, if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Exactly. in the deaf school i went to we average 2 students a semester that knew nothing and blossomed to "asl whizzes" within a month or two.
Oh, so that's where the oral kids who are struggling in the mainstream end up. And that's 2 students a SEMESTER......tells you something about the mainstream. I do think that if more deaf schools were explict that they accept oral kids who want to learn ASL (and if they had a program where the kids could learn ASL) and if they advertisted "having trouble socially and emotionally in high school in the mainstream ? Come to deaf school.", that deaf schools would be BOOMING. I really think there are a LOT of parents out there who know about the deaf schools/programs but think that they're just for kids who already use ASL or they believe the crap that the oral experts push about the deaf schools.
Oh, and the fact that there are oral kids transferring to ASLusing schools is telling. Do they tend to transfer in the elementary years? I know shel and bajagirl have said they see a lot of oral kids at their schools too.....so that answers the question of why Clarke School is dying, and why CID and St. Josephs shut their dorm programs. (and are now basicly a day program sort of thing for kids who are struggling in the St. Louis area....and you know that says something, since the St. Louis Deaf ed programs are pretty good...if three schools still offer programs up to grade 8/age 12 whatever, in a system where the system is supposed to be pretty good) The oral kids who are struggling are now attending Deaf School...which is AWESOME!

and that is why I told CSign straight up not to make any statements about deaf schools without making sure that they are true or not. It can falsly lead to new parents not seeking out Deaf schools as an option. It is an old trend (misconceptions about Deaf schools) that needs to be stopped.

Yes exactly! Heck, if my parents had simply KNOWN that the local Deaf program was an option even thou I speak well, so I could have learned ASL I wouldn't be so messed up!

Wow. Things have gotten a little crazy in here.

Thank you to those that have provided information and encouragement. It is my plan to contact the school, and I have read everything they have available on their website, so I was looking for some insight from those that might know more from real world experience so I would know how to best approach the school.

To clarify some points - as far as I could tell from reading their website, it seems that it is not uncommon for students, especially entering K or 1st to not be fluent in ASL. While my son is not fluent by any means, he is willing to learn. If he wasn't, or if I thought he or we would have trouble learning ASL, then I would not consider sending him to an ASL school since they say all instruction is done in ASL with speech breakouts. I did read about the "probation period" and I did not know what that entailed. Thank you to the poster that clarified that. It does not seem quite so scary when put that way (making sure they are able to learn ASL).

What makes this the hardest is trying to figure this all out from another state. What I do know is that the public schools in the area we are moving to are awful (West Contra Costa Unified School District). So, we are pretty much looking at CSD or private school, which adds a whole other layer since private schools are not required to accomodate my son in any way shape or form.

As for AP classes, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now I'm worried about Kindergarten. :) But, I hope that my son will qualify for AP, and if that is the case then I will make it happen. I'm not as worried about the higher grades where he can help make these decisions for himself. Right now, I have to make these decisions for him, and I would hate for him to get up to the high school level and falter and then ask why I didn't send him to CSD and have to tell him I never tried.

I don't know if I'm going to put this right. The world is set up to welcome him as an oral communicator with open arms. There is no struggle there. In order to give him the best foundation to be as confident and independent as possible, I think it is my job to help him discover the less obvious options that might help him navigate this world.

Best case scenario? He goes to CSD, learns ASL, is able to gain acceptance into an awesome community, has no further deterioration and is now bilingual and can comfortably live in both worlds.

Worst case scenario? He goes to CSD, learns ASL, is able to gain acceptance into an awesome community, and either his hearing does deteriorate, or he becomes self conscious about his voice quality issues and chooses to communicate using only ASL.

Personally, I can live with either scenario, and I want him to be prepared for both. Because the true worst case scenario is that the latter happens and he is not prepared.

Stepping away from the rant now. :)

Anyhow, thank you to all of you that have posted. I will update you when I know more.

I called today and spoke with the admissions office and they said that their guidelines are not really black and white. She said they look at many different factors. So, I am faxing over his audiogram for them to look at and we will go from there.

Thank you so much again for your advice.

I wrote a much longer response but it appears to have been snagged for review. Hopefully it will appear. :)

Many of you have mentioned regional DHH programs. Do you know any names in the Bay Area? I'm not coming up with anything doing straight internet searches.

I called today and spoke with the admissions office and they said that their guidelines are not really black and white. She said they look at many different factors. So, I am faxing over his audiogram for them to look at and we will go from there.

Thank you so much again for your advice.

Good luck. Let is know how it goes.
Glad you had the patience to wade through all the nonsense and get to the useful information.

I wrote a much longer response but it appears to have been snagged for review. Hopefully it will appear. :)

Many of you have mentioned regional DHH programs. Do you know any names in the Bay Area? I'm not coming up with anything doing straight internet searches.

Contact your local school district and ask them where the self contained program for that district is located.

Contact your local school district and ask them where the self contained program for that district is located.

Or you could also ask the Deaf School too. Very often they can point you to where the good deaf programs are located.

Or you could also ask the Deaf School too. Very often they can point you to where the good deaf programs are located.

You would be better off asking the school district where the self contained programs are located, and then making a visit and sitting in on classes at those program. The self contained programs and the deaf schools are actually in competition for enrollment.

Back