California - education options for UHL?

kazuko19

Reaction score
We currently live in Texas and my son is 4 years old and profoundly deaf in his left ear. His right ear is moderately normal, but he experiences around a 30dB loss when he has one of his very frequent ear infections. He does not have a hearing aid, and will be getting an FM system in about 5 weeks to use at school. He is currently enrolled in a private Pre-K program here. When he was evaluated here for PPCD, they decided it would be best for him to stay where he was because the PPCD program academically was behind his development, but they said when he reached Kindergarten, they would code him in for Auditory Impairment services. Up until he turned 3, he was receiving both Deaf Ed (ASL) and Speech Therapy through Early Childhood Intervention. We use some signs to emphasize what we are speaking, or in noisy environments when he has trouble hearing us, but I would by no means begin to say he truly knows ASL. From what I can tell he relies a lot on lip reading and is very good at it (since I can talk to him across the room without actually speaking and he answers me).

We have just found out that we will be moving to the Bay Area (San Francisco Area) in California within the next year (right before he starts Kindergarten). The educational landscape is totally different and researching it from afar is difficult to say the least. What I am having the most difficulty finding out is what qualifies a student as Deaf or Hard of Hearing in California for the sake of placement in California School for the Deaf? Here in Texas, the public school system for our district is great, and so we were fine with having him mainstreamed because their AI services included pop outs for DHH students, so we felt it was the best of both worlds. Plus, our closest School for the Deaf is in Austin which means he would have to be in a residential program which was not acceptable to us. Now, in CA, the School for the Deaf is accessible. But, while I understand the process of requesting the assessments and then going through the IEP planning, I cannot find anywhere what qualifies a student as DHH in California.

So, I guess buried in that ultra long explanation, does anyone know the qualifications for being classified as DHH in California? Specifically in West Contra Costa Unified School District (I know they have a SELPA, so I guess anywhere in Contra Costa County would help)? Also, has anyone been down this road already that can help?

Thank you in advance for absolutely any guidance you can give.

I am unsure, but I just wanted to say that I am VERY impressed that you're being so proactive with a unilateral loss! Schools for the Deaf are getting a lot more HOH friendly. However, I think overall that virtually ALL hoh kids at Deaf Schools have bilateral losses. One option you could look into is a dhh program. Contact the Deaf School and see if there are any regional dhh programs/magnet schools in your area. That is prolly your best bet. Then he can attend school with teachers of the Deaf, instead of just generic special ed support. I do have to say that it does seem like unilateral hoh kids tend to respond very well to the accomondations that are offered to hoh kids in the mainstream. But definitly look into Deaf stuff and camps and things like that!!!! It can only help your son!

It really is too bad your son doesn't have bilateral loss..He would fit in SO well at the School for the Deaf! Actually, wait a second.....I seem to recall years ago hearing about a hoh kid who had frequent ear infections who attended American School for the Deaf. Maybe if you mentioned that, he could attend. I also wonder if you mentioned that if you wanted him to develop his sign skills,(ie if he turns out to have a progressive loss or that you want him to also function in non soundbooth enviroments. The world is not a soundbooth and hearing aids/technology can only do so much) he could attend the School for the Deaf. The early childhood programs at Schools for the Deaf are AWESOME!!!!! Definitly ask about both going to Deaf School and regional dhh programs/magnet programs. Visit the programs and see what they're like.

I just want to give him all of the tools necessary to succeed. I don't think his hearing ear is classified as a progressive loss, but he does get ear infections sooo often and he loses so much of his hearing during that time.

I know that we are in this little window right now where learning full on ASL would come naturally to him. He loves to sign what he can now, and we supplement most common words with some ASL signs and some SEE signs, especially in noisy environments. I worry about the effect the FM system will have on his one hearing ear since his audiologist is hesitant to put in a hearing aid because he wants to preserve his hearing in that ear as much as possible (which I totally get), but how is that different than an FM system?

Maybe I'm just over thinking it, but I just feel like he might learn better in a School for the Deaf where his UHL is not seen as a disability. I feel like even in preschool, his teachers have treated him differently because of his UHL, like he is a slow learner (which he is not). And while they nod their heads and say they understand about keeping background noise to a minimum, making sure his hearing ear is facing them, and keeping him close to them, they don't seem to actually put it into practice. So, for preschool/pre-k is that really a big deal? No. I have a pretty good handle on those concepts :) so I reinforce the lessons at home. But, that will not always be the case.

I will remember to mention his frequent ear infections and my genuine desire for him to further develop his sign skills and then I will cross my fingers that they would accept him. Then there are all of the other red tape hurdles to get there if they will, but I would hate to go through all of that just to find that they won't take him anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

I can ask my friend who is a teacher at CSDF on what is their policy with children who have UHL.

I'm SO excited that you want him to learn ASL....if he loves the ASL, definitly continue it! And definitly ask about regional dhh programs. I think he'd be a perfect fit for that type of educational placement!!!!! I hear you about the clueless hearing teachers....you're not overthinking it at ALL. Unfortunatly, most mainstream teachers tend not to have a lot of training with how to teach kids with disabilties......Ahhhh don't even get me started on that whole "inclusion" crap. That would be so cool if he could get in.....and remember to mention his frequent ear infections...Even if Deaf School placement doesn't work out, look into regional dhh programs. Those programs rock.....If you're close enough to the Deaf school that going there would be viable, it's possible there may be regional dhh programs in the vinciety that your son could benifit from!

I can ask my friend who is a teacher at CSDF on what is their policy with children who have UHL.

In order to attend one of the California Schools for the Deaf, one of the requirements is that the student use ASL as their primary mode of communication, and that they would not benefit from programs available in their area. There are other eligibility requirements, but given that this student doesn't use ASL as his primary mode of communication he wouldn't meet the eligibility requirements.

In order to attend one of the California Schools for the Deaf, one of the requirements is that the student use ASL as their primary mode of communication, and that they would not benefit from programs available in their area. There are other eligibility requirements, but given that this student doesn't use ASL as his primary mode of communication he wouldn't meet the eligibility requirements.

Are you 100% sure about that?

I would encourage your son to continue what you feel is necessary. I am also classified as UHL and a product of the Californian education system, and your first post strikes me as similar to prior experiences I've had, I was mainstreamed as well after being 'turned down' for a deaf school.

It is my honest opinion that he will do more than adequately mainstream provided that his loss does not become progressive, but there are factors at play and no one can make those choices for you unless you wish for someone's opinion to dictate your son's choice.

The focus the mainstream education takes is to encourage extensive learning to the point that it is like a track for college. I hope you won't be surprised that taking courses like intro/general chemistry, pre/calculus/AB/BC in the sophmore or junior year is a common occurence in much of the decent ranking public schools in the system. Also, school districts have disability services to accommodate students as much as they can.

However, do consider that enrolling in the CSD system - likely certain as it is for Fremont as it is for Riverside: AP courses are limited in numbers due to small placement of students enrolled in them.

You as a parent are faced with a tough choice. If you value education more for your child, any decent middle/upper class mainstream route will offer more than what he'll need to apply for colleges across the nation. The california university system is competitive for this reason alone.

If you believe his social relationships with friends and school is important, it is most certain the deaf school would provide a blossoming relationship so he does not feel left out with the 'social network' aspect.

It's not an easy decision as neither choices are wrong ones to take; it's more subjective along your beliefs as to which is road more important for you to judge for your son. It's too bad he is not old enough to make the decision for himself.

I will wait for my friend's answer..thanks.

I would encourage your son to continue what you feel is necessary. I am also classified as UHL and a product of the Californian education system, and your first post strikes me as similar to prior experiences I've had, I was mainstreamed as well after being 'turned down' for a deaf school.

It is my honest opinion that he will do more than adequately mainstream provided that his loss does not become progressive, but there are factors at play and no one can make those choices for you unless you wish for someone's opinion to dictate your son's choice.

The focus the mainstream education takes is to encourage extensive learning to the point that it is like a track for college. I hope you won't be surprised that taking courses like intro/general chemistry, pre/calculus/AB/BC in the sophmore or junior year is a common occurence in much of the decent ranking public schools in the system. Also, school districts have disability services to accommodate students as much as they can.

However, do consider that enrolling in the CSD system - likely certain as it is for Fremont as it is for Riverside: AP courses are limited in numbers due to small placement of students enrolled in them.

You as a parent are faced with a tough choice. If you value education more for your child, any decent middle/upper class mainstream route will offer more than what he'll need to apply for colleges across the nation. The california university system is competitive for this reason alone.

If you believe his social relationships with friends and school is important, it is most certain the deaf school would provide a blossoming relationship so he does not feel left out with the 'social network' aspect.

It's not an easy decision as neither choices are wrong ones to take; it's more subjective along your beliefs as to which is road more important for you to judge for your son. It's too bad he is not old enough to make the decision for himself.

FYI..many Deaf schools have magnet programs for AP classes. How do you know if CSDF offers that or not? Always best to ask before making assumptions.

I would rather get my information from people who actually work there. What is said on paper is not always true.

Ok Shel. It is a specific education code so I would say it's true.

As a former teacher there...I can say for sure that's untrue.

We currently live in Texas and my son is 4 years old and profoundly deaf in his left ear. His right ear is moderately normal, but he experiences around a 30dB loss when he has one of his very frequent ear infections. He does not have a hearing aid, and will be getting an FM system in about 5 weeks to use at school. He is currently enrolled in a private Pre-K program here. When he was evaluated here for PPCD, they decided it would be best for him to stay where he was because the PPCD program academically was behind his development, but they said when he reached Kindergarten, they would code him in for Auditory Impairment services. Up until he turned 3, he was receiving both Deaf Ed (ASL) and Speech Therapy through Early Childhood Intervention. We use some signs to emphasize what we are speaking, or in noisy environments when he has trouble hearing us, but I would by no means begin to say he truly knows ASL. From what I can tell he relies a lot on lip reading and is very good at it (since I can talk to him across the room without actually speaking and he answers me).

We have just found out that we will be moving to the Bay Area (San Francisco Area) in California within the next year (right before he starts Kindergarten). The educational landscape is totally different and researching it from afar is difficult to say the least. What I am having the most difficulty finding out is what qualifies a student as Deaf or Hard of Hearing in California for the sake of placement in California School for the Deaf? Here in Texas, the public school system for our district is great, and so we were fine with having him mainstreamed because their AI services included pop outs for DHH students, so we felt it was the best of both worlds. Plus, our closest School for the Deaf is in Austin which means he would have to be in a residential program which was not acceptable to us. Now, in CA, the School for the Deaf is accessible. But, while I understand the process of requesting the assessments and then going through the IEP planning, I cannot find anywhere what qualifies a student as DHH in California.

So, I guess buried in that ultra long explanation, does anyone know the qualifications for being classified as DHH in California? Specifically in West Contra Costa Unified School District (I know they have a SELPA, so I guess anywhere in Contra Costa County would help)? Also, has anyone been down this road already that can help?

Thank you in advance for absolutely any guidance you can give.

I completely understand...I have a child who is now in kindergarten with unilateral deafness...even though I've been teaching deaf kids for years I still am struggling to determine the right placement and tools. The best bet would be to contact the school directly and set up a meeting. PM me if you need help.

Back