California Bill AB 2027

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I don't take questions from a questionable person who have no interest to respectfully discuss on such personal issues with members of ADers. We can see that's being done already in here. I respect F_J and GrendelQ's decisions on how they want to bring up their deaf children. I certainly don't try and challenge them with negative implications.

Well then, thanks for taking the time. I will just have to chalk that up as no idea about how you became successful.

You are missing the point. Has that building raised the reading levels of the students. Has that building contributed to an overall change in philosophy and a more realistic approach to deaf education from a deaf learning perspective? I didn't say it was nothing. Buildings are necessary. What I asked was how it had contributed to the betterment of deaf education for deaf students.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear the things you have changed, your activism. What things have you done to raise reading levels for deaf children worldwide?

"Think globally, act locally." That is exactly what I am doing.

How has it improved the deaf education for the deaf student locally, then? How many changes in methodology that would better address the learning needs of the deaf student have you been responsible for? You won't even take the time to access the research that would help you understand the learning needs of the deaf student. Loving mothers do bake sales, make cheerleading costumes, campaign for funding for a building. All well and good. But certainly not the stuff that impacts the face of deaf education. That was the point I made that you challenged. Thank you for supporting it with your answers.

I'm sure everyone would love to hear the things you have changed, your activism. What things have you done to raise reading levels for deaf children worldwide?

Just got back from Capital Hill 3 days ago. Am the member of a team that has completely revamped the way needs are accomodated in our local school system. Speak or email on a daily basis with legislators, educators, and adminsitrators. Actively work one on one with students to insure that their needs are met appropriately. Campaign for legislative changes that would benefit all of education.

Well then, thanks for taking the time. I will just have to chalk that up as no idea about how you became successful.

You're not being clear with that comment on the "how" part. I owe my successes largely because of my hearing aid and my auditory-oral upbringing that helped lay the groundwork.

How has it improved the deaf education for the deaf student locally, then? How many changes in methodology that would better address the learning needs of the deaf student have you been responsible for? You won't even take the time to access the research that would help you understand the learning needs of the deaf student. Loving mothers do bake sales, make cheerleading costumes, campaign for funding for a building. All well and good. But certainly not the stuff that impacts the face of deaf education. That was the point I made that you challenged. Thank you for supporting it with your answers.

I have opened the door to ASL in an oral program. We have the first child who attends an oral school and has both spoken language and ASL goals. I have also helped change the face of spoken language in the bi-bi school including a change of professionals who work at the school. I have helped through serving on the commitee on oracy at the bi-bi school.

I have opened the door to ASL in an oral program. We have the first child who attends an oral school and has both spoken language and ASL goals. I have also helped change the face of spoken language in the bi-bi school including a change of professionals who work at the school. I have helped through serving on the commitee on oracy at the bi-bi school.

Good for you. But when you add ASL to an Oral program, it ceases to be an oral program, does it not?

And aren't all of the things you listed specific only to what you have done in regard to your daughter's educational situation? Again, what a loving mother does. But simply being a loving mother is not all it takes to improve the nature of education for deaf students. In fact, it is not even listed in the criteria.

You're not being clear with that comment on the "how" part. I owe my successes largely because of my hearing aid and my auditory-oral upbringing that helped lay the groundwork.

That's why I have been asking you.. for the nth time how did you manage college life if you want to show your version of success (which college is probably the most contributing factor to the average young adult growing into the employment and worldly opportunities) as I thought Gallaudet did a major part of it. After all you had mentioned going to the school previously.
I didn't see any reason why it would not want to be shared especially given the fact that you feel you are successful, but I respect people's own opinions and leave them be if that's that.

The language of instruction in the classroom remains spoken English.

So, what we have is a TC environment. Done any research on the linguistic confusion created in a TC environment?

So, what we have is a TC environment. Done any research on the linguistic confusion created in a TC environment?

No. It is an oral classroom with ASL pullout, tutoring, and services. ASL and spoken language are seperate.

The question is whether or not a deaf person can grow up to be successful without ASL, not whether or not ASL is useful. I grew up without German, and I did fine, but if I learn German as an adult it doesn't mean I was incomplete without it.

But you have full access to spoken language because you are hearing...deaf people dont.

This comparasion doesnt work.

That question would be a perfect anology with this question.."Can deaf people be happy without learning Auslan?"

That's why I have been asking you.. for the nth time how did you manage college life if you want to show your version of success (which college is probably the most contributing factor to the average young adult growing into the employment and worldly opportunities) as I thought Gallaudet did a major part of it. After all you had mentioned going to the school previously.
I didn't see any reason why it would not want to be shared especially given the fact that you feel you are successful, but I respect people's own opinions and leave them be if that's that.

Nth time? It's a first here for me from you. Again, my hearing aid, my ability to hear well, and my auditory-oral upbringing helped lay the groundwork for future successes already addressed the "how" part. I sat in like every other hearing students in class. Gallaudet had little to do with it since I also took classes at George Washington University at the same time. I received my M.S. degree at Univ. of Idaho where I presented my oral thesis defense and passed. I sit there and I listen in on the professor's talking. What more is there to it do you want to know? No big mystery here.

No. It is an oral classroom with ASL pullout, tutoring, and services. ASL and spoken language are seperate.

Ahh...so basically what you are describing is a replecation of the same mainstream type placement that has been used for years, with no demonstrated advantages. How is that a change for the betterment of deaf education?

Ahh...so basically what you are describing is a replecation of the same mainstream type placement that has been used for years, with no demonstrated advantages. How is that a change for the betterment of deaf education?

It is not mainstream because she has access to deaf peers and teachers of the deaf all day in her class. Now other kids have the opportunity to have spoken language as their language of instruction but also have ASL in their education for clarification and support.

Nth time? It's a first here for me from you. Again, my hearing aid, my ability to hear well, and my auditory-oral upbringing helped lay the groundwork for future successes already addressed the "how" part. I sat in like every other hearing students in class. Gallaudet had little to do with it since I also took classes at George Washington University at the same time. I received my M.S. degree at Univ. of Idaho where I presented my oral thesis defense and passed. I sit there and I listen in on the professor's talking. What more is there to it do you want to know? No big mystery here.

Ah I see now. Thanks for clarifying. Yes I had asked you 3 or 4 times (the same question) but could not get you to respond, so I grew weary of asking and thought you did not want to discuss it.

But I can now understand that your version of success only applies for those who can still hear though, it wouldn't be able to work as well for those who can't, right?

Ah I see now. Thanks for clarifying. Yes I had asked you 3 or 4 times (the same question) but could not get you to respond, so I grew weary of asking and thought you did not want to discuss it.

But I can now understand that your version of success only applies for those who can still hear though, it wouldn't be able to work as well for those who can't, right?

And, we are right back to the necessity of an operational definition in order for the question to be answered appropriately. Don't you love circles?:giggle:

It is not mainstream because she has access to deaf peers and teachers of the deaf all day in her class. Now other kids have the opportunity to have spoken language as their language of instruction but also have ASL in their education for clarification and support.

You have managed to replicate the same environment with some minor social changes that allow you to mistakenly convince yourself that this is a new and unique placement. Fact is, language of instruction is English. ASL is a side bar. Nothing new here. You won't see any improvement in the results of such a placement. It has already been investigated longitudinally. The results are quite clear.

You have managed to replicate the same environment with some minor social changes that allow you to mistakenly convince yourself that this is a new and unique placement. Fact is, language of instruction is English. ASL is a side bar. Nothing new here. You won't see any improvement in the results of such a placement. It has already been investigated longitudinally. The results are quite clear.

I thought that people always said that they wished they had had access to ASL and deaf peers while they were in school? That mainstreamed kids had social problems because they were the only deaf child in the school. I am preventing just those problems.

It's for those who prefer and can use what beneficial hearing they have to their advantage. Success is relative and subjective in what one can do, not about what one cannot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back