California 4-year-old dies in washing machine

Apparently it is this kind of washing machine--

WHIRLPOOL WFW9400SW - Front Loading Washer - White

Interesting enough--I have the same kind only mine is higher up.

It looks like the controls on that one are in the usual place. My washer hits me about chest level, and the controls would be right at that height. I'd say probably 3 1/2 feet off the ground.

It's a tragic death and unfortuantely I'm sure someone will be suing the manufacturer for creating this particular design.

It's a tragic death and unfortuantely I'm sure someone will be suing the manufacturer for creating this particular design.

Yep. And every washer purchased hereafter will carry some sort of warning label.

But, if someone altered it as an accommodation, the manufacturer wouldn't be responsible.

The only thing I could think is if someone had limited use of their arms and needed to turn it on with their foot. Or perhaps someone that used a wheelchair could reach it better. I just don't know.
That's what I was thinking. It might have been a power on/off switch like on a power strip attached to the washer. It sure doesn't seem like a standard design.

That's what I was thinking. It might have been a power on/off switch like on a power strip attached to the washer. It sure doesn't seem like a standard design.

I thought I was pretty well informed about various accommodations for various disabilities, but this one has me shaking my head.

What company would have the switch or button a few inches from the floor!! Geez! How horrible.
Some companies do it for a reason... easier use. So, don't blame the company... blame the mother or whoever bought it.

It's like those pill bottles. They have child-proof caps. But some companies sell pill bottles with easy-open caps for old people or people who are too weak to open the child-proof caps.

Back to the machine... having that button that low was probably intended for those who were handicapped. :dunno:

Strange... I also wonder about the button... but then again, I can't open my washing machine until it's finished... *shrug*

Poor girl... :(

:dunno: JamieLynn

That made me puzzled about this little girl. She should have screamed (for a help), kicked the washer's door (where everyone can hear her screaming) and it should have popped opening.
That reminds me of my cat. Well, I will make a long story short. One day, my cat jumped into the dryer which I didn't see but I turned on the dryer because my clothes were a little damped. When the dryer was on, my cat said meowing real loud... My mother heard it and said to me "Sosie, your cat is in the dryer!" OMG, I ran, I opened the dryer's door and I took my cat out immediately. She seemed confused but she was OK. *whew* Poor cat!
I am so sad to hear about this little girl's loss. :(

That made me puzzled about this little girl. She should have screamed (for a help), kicked the washer's door (where everyone can hear her screaming) and it should have popped opening.

I also wondered about that too but then again, It is possible that the little girl went into fear of shock which made her not to do this? :dunno:

Or it is possible that the washer's door was sealed tight and latched which was making the girl not being able to open the door from the inside? :dunno:

Indeed, It is sad for the girl to die like this way. As we all know, kids likes to find some hiding spot and they probably were innocently thinking it is ok to do this.

oh that awful to see it i thought why not to do something lock for kids keep away something like that... more safe for kids never thought climb up to washing machine.... sad..

Don't the front loaders have a handles with a locking mechanism. Such as turning the handle down?

Don't the front loaders have a handles with a locking mechanism. Such as turning the handle down?

Some of them do. I've seen some front loaders that have a latch which automatically hinges on when the door is shut and sealed tightly. Some of them don't have a handle that turns down. It varies by what manufacturer designs it for.

I remember something like this was on an episode of CSI - 4 x 4 . The teenage boy killed his friend because he made him go in the laundry machine. Different motives though.

And now, it's reality, except with an even younger victim.

I have to say though, most of the laundry places are unmonitored and self-serve. Not many people go there in the first place from what I observe - except people who:
1) can't afford a washing machine due to poor nature,
2) don't have a need for one, (IE, students, travelers)
2a) currently need one but does not have one,
3) resides in a slum area (refers to 1.)

Thus in response, most of these laundromats typically have junkier/older washing machines. After all, who in the world is crazy enough to buy the newest line of Whirlpools + GE's and put 50 of them into your laundromat?

You're just losing money in that sense, when you want more bang-per-the-buck and you go with a cheaper, perhaps older, junkier machine.

Regardless, such machines have flaws in the first place -- their layout and design, which much of us are lamenting about. I'd put my shoes in a laundro-lord's (pun) and think -- if my customers are always going to be spending two quarters for a whirl, I'd want one that has a lot of power, but probably less options so there's little to worry about if they need to get fixed. Safety would be the last thing on my mind..

Are we blaming the "laundromat lord" for practicing and following the business ethics of capitalism?

Just pushing more thinking for us in this topic here.

I remember something like this was on an episode of CSI - 4 x 4 . The teenage boy killed his friend because he made him go in the laundry machine. Different motives though.

And now, it's reality, except with an even younger victim.

I have to say though, most of the laundry places are unmonitored and self-serve. Not many people go there in the first place from what I observe - except people who:
1) can't afford a washing machine due to poor nature,
2) don't have a need for one, (IE, students, travelers)
2a) currently need one but does not have one,
3) resides in a slum area (refers to 1.)

Thus in response, most of these laundromats typically have junkier/older washing machines. After all, who in the world is crazy enough to buy the newest line of Whirlpools + GE's and put 50 of them into your laundromat?

You're just losing money in that sense, when you want more bang-per-the-buck and you go with a cheaper, perhaps older, junkier machine.

Regardless, such machines have flaws in the first place -- their layout and design, which much of us are lamenting about. I'd put my shoes in a laundro-lord's (pun) and think -- if my customers are always going to be spending two quarters for a whirl, I'd want one that has a lot of power, but probably less options so there's little to worry about if they need to get fixed. Safety would be the last thing on my mind..

Are we blaming the "laundromat lord" for practicing and following the business ethics of capitalism?

Just pushing more thinking for us in this topic here.

I thought it was in the home?

Well, the news said apartment so I assumed that there's a laundry room in the apartment complex, similar to laundromats -- same case, just less machines.
Even then, I would mildly assume people who live in apartments often do not have access to a home laundry machine, they'd have to go elsewhere to get their stuff done.

But I could be completely wrong if it's in their home.

I feel bad for the family. It is very unfortunate. Though, a horrible accident, it is so easy to blame the mother. Let me tell you from experience... I have an autistic son. When he was almost three he was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. He got into amonia and mixed it with hand cleaner. This all happened in less than a 3 minute period. I went to the bathroom. He opened the "CHILD lock" I had on the kitchen cabinet. Thats how fast it happened. He could open any and every type of lock. We had to eventually go to a magnetic lock and place the "key" way up high.
He was so good at problem solving, we had 6 different locks on the front door. So I can see how this tragedy could occur.

Strange... I also wonder about the button... but then again, I can't open my washing machine until it's finished... *shrug*

Poor girl... :(

:dunno: JamieLynn

Yes I am wondering the same because my wash machine won't let me open the door when I press the button... I have to wait until it finished...

Sad, it's awful...:(

I also wondered about that too but then again, It is possible that the little girl went into fear of shock which made her not to do this? :dunno:

Or it is possible that the washer's door was sealed tight and latched which was making the girl not being able to open the door from the inside? :dunno:

Indeed, It is sad for the girl to die like this way. As we all know, kids likes to find some hiding spot and they probably were innocently thinking it is ok to do this.

Possibility... but the question is : where are their parents? or a babysitter? like other aders said above. They are supposed to check on their small children once a while, to make sure they are OK.

Yes I am wondering the same because my wash machine won't let me open the door when I press the button... I have to wait until it finished...

Sad, it's awful...:(

I can open mine. Well, I guess every washer machines are different.

Back