Buying a House... Before or After Marriage?

Yes I second that...

Mine is different because I married to a German. I lived in England and was too busy to think about hunt the job than consider to buy the house before we married and move to live here in Germany in 1985. Hunt the job is mainly important than worry about house etc. We found one bedroom apartment with cheap rent which is very easy for us to save up to buy a land to build the house.

I got job after 3 month unemployment since moved to live in Germany. We enjoy ourselves first and travel a lot... until we have enough money to buy a land. We found a land, we really want to live and bought it. We were busy and excited to design the house what we wish... It took us one year to find out what kind of house, we wish... then built in 1988-89. We are still living at the same house...

I may notice that different countries; like yourself have a lot of different choices on whether to rent, buy or go on a holiday trip before things plans out. I hope your house is standing there well and well looked after. :)

Wow. It looks that men and women are not interested to get married for many reasons because they want to protect their own house. The lawyers are not honest anymore.

I agree, vampy, that is the good option but would you just hate to blow all your dead money on renting?
I wouldn't exactly be blowing all of my money on an apartment since I can find one at a reasonable price. I rather blow my money on a cheap apartment until I'm sure I'm ready for a house with my wife. :)

I wouldn't exactly be blowing all of my money on an apartment since I can find one at a reasonable price. I rather blow my money on a cheap apartment until I'm sure I'm ready for a house with my wife. :)

A lot of opinions for everyone. Like yours, which is your opinion, correct?

Well, perhaps it'd be easier if a soon to be married couple invest in a house so they have a house to call home after getting hitched. It'd make things somewhat easier as they'd have to talk, beforehand, about what kind of house, how big, how much and whether they want a family etcetcera....

Also it gives you some idea of whether if they're ready to commit to buying a house and commit to marriage as well.

And enter into the mix proffered by Ms Delectable, a buyers' market!

Well, perhaps it'd be easier if a soon to be married couple invest in a house so they have a house to call home after getting hitched. It'd make things somewhat easier as they'd have to talk, beforehand, about what kind of house, how big, how much and whether they want a family etcetcera....

Also it gives you some idea of whether if they're ready to commit to buying a house and commit to marriage as well.

but if you have to divorce you have to cut the house half

So? Many women are in the workforce, and thereby, bring in money to help with the house payments and other things. If you're in a community property state like California is, it is only fair whether both partners are working or not unless one party can prove a significant dollar amount he/she brought into the marriage, then the judge will work it out.

Depend...

If you and your spouse´s name together on the house then is 50/50.

If your house is only your own name with your spouse´s name, she or he can demand % profit of your worth house because she or he take care of your house. Depend on difference % on how long she or he live in your house.

My hubby & I own the house and land together - 50/50.

It depends on individual. I see nothing wrong why people can't buy a house or condo or land or whatever you name it until they get married. They can do whatever they want to as long as they can afford it.

I plan to buy a condo around next year and will keep it for years as real estate investment. If I find someone special and I might end up buying a second home that would be 50/50 with my future husband. I will still keep my condo by having someone to rent it to pay off my mortgage(s).

Rent an apartment or house is huge waste of money. Why? Once you rent it and you get nothing in return. If you buy a condo or home and pay the mortgage, HOA(only for condos) and annual tax or property tax... Once you sell it, you get the money back plus extra from property value increases. That is why I plan to buy a condo to save myself some money and make some profits from it.

:lol: Why don't you do it ? Maybe, THAT will make you feel better. :)

Fortunately I've never had a diabolical ex-wife that conspires to ruin my life. Although I do bring up a point of the whole pre-nup stuff. A lot of chicks, even guys will feel offended if you vouch to keep assets sepereate. It sort of shows a lack of a bond of trust, don't you think? But in this day and age it seems like the safe thing to do regardless of how much you think you love your suppose or whomever.

Fortunately I've never had a diabolical ex-wife that conspires to ruin my life. Although I do bring up a point of the whole pre-nup stuff. A lot of chicks, even guys will feel offended if you vouch to keep assets sepereate. It sort of shows a lack of a bond of trust, don't you think? But in this day and age it seems like the safe thing to do regardless of how much you think you love your suppose or whomever.

True. I personally will not be offended if my future husband (if I will ever have one) already own some places before we meet. I expect no one would get offended if I already own a condo or few homes too. If he does... I will know that he is more into me for the values I own not into me. It is pretty obvious.

:rofl: Good point, WebExplorer!! I shall just stick in Australia, if it happens to be no home for me! Australia is the back up ;) :nana:

EDIT -- W.E - Guess it would be no room for you either if you are in Australia :lol:

Well, in that case everyone is welcome to move to Canada.

Lots of space up here, even if one freezes their hinny off.

Well, in that case everyone is welcome to move to Canada.

Lots of space up here, even if one freezes their hinny off.

I could put up a lot of my food in a free "refrigerator-house" in Canada. ;)
Then, I wouldn't have to worry about my electricity bills. Silly me.

Are there any big windpowers in your country? I saw a windpower in a small city. I was surprised to see it so close, and it is so huge. It produces electricity up to 500 homes.

When it comes to getting a house, both need to agree on it. I can't just buy a house and then expect my wife to automatically accept the house I'm living in. Sure, we could date each other and she could eventually learn to accept... but that's another step that she has to go through. I would rather it be something that we both can work together and agree on. That would happen after marriage. :)

I think I will buy a house before marriage if I can affor it. It will make me feel safe

Buying houses can be a business arrangement for those who are not married and married. It just comes down to having good agreements and contracts to protect yourselves.

It's also possible to buy a house all on your own, too.

I'd rather rent a studio and paint, after having been a homeowner.

Back