buying a back up adapter in case D-link adapter goes bad?

Your very close and your right.
Its current that kills not voltage.

You can handle 999,999,999 volts and be fine, but if total of .08 amperes (Current) or more going though your body and heart/brain, its frying time.

No and go take electric class.

High AMP is very danger than high voltage.

Safety rules, always provide minimum current to device, for example you got a heater of 15 amperes, you would want to provide 20 amperes as safety buffer. Otherwise it will heat up.

As for power adapter, its always best to get same or more current to prevent overheating

Which is exactly why you don't want to play games with the amp ratings. Stick with what is specified by the device and nothing different.

Safety rules, always provide minimum current to device, for example you got a heater of 15 amperes, you would want to provide 20 amperes as safety buffer. Otherwise it will heat up.

As for power adapter, its always best to get same or more current to prevent overheating
You don't provide Amps. Amps are consumed. If the device "consumes" more amps than the adapter is rated for, it will overheat and cause a fire.

You got it the other way. What I mean provide by using enough equipment to support the amperage requirement
You don't provide Amps. Amps are consumed. If the device "consumes" more amps than the adapter is rated for, it will overheat and cause a fire.

Not true. The polarity is different and if you cross it you can cause damage and potentially a fire. If you change the amp rating in the wrong direction you can also cause damage or fire. I am not here to argue with you about facts that I know. I am not saying you don't have experience but I am saying that you are playing around with something that can cause damage fire and personal injury or death (in the event of electric shock or fire) and to me, that is something you dont' want to mess around with. Especially when it is easy to get the right power adapter for the device in question. There should be no guess work here.

Like I said
DMM is my best friend. I always double check before I plugged.

DMM is check to make sure they are correct. No, there is no guess work for me.

BTW DMM is Digital Multimeter if you dont know.

Back