Burger King to introduce bacon sundae

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Would you buy a bacon sundae? Burger King is betting you will.

The fast-food chain famous for the Whopper will introduce the limited-time dessert on Thursday as part of its new summer menu. The 510-calorie sundae—vanilla soft serve topped with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon—has 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

Earlier this year, Burger King rolled out an expanded menu with healthier fare—fruit smoothies, wraps and salads—with an advertising campaign featuring soccer star David Beckham. The bacon sundae, available through Sept. 3, would seem to be a strategic move in the polar opposite direction—and something akin to Jack in the Box's 1,081-calorie bacon milkshake, which debuted in February.

It also seems to be an attempt to answer Taco Bell's wildly popular Doritos Locos Taco, which became "the most successful product launch in the chain's history" after 100 million were sold in the 10 weeks following its launch in March.

Taco Bell, for its part, is going "upscale." The "Cantina Bell" menu, debuting in July, will have "fresh ingredients such as black beans, 'fire-roasted' corn salsa, cilantro rice, pico de gallo and citrus- and herb-marinated chicken that many consumers have come to associate with Chipotle," according to Advertising Age.

Burger King's summer menu also includes a Memphis pulled-pork BBQ sandwich, Carolina BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, Texas BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries and frozen lemonade.

The bacon sundae, it's worth noting, is downright healthy compared to the Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger—a 1,500-calorie behemoth that replaces the buns with doughnuts.

That burger, popularized by Paula Deen, originated at a Massachusetts state fair.

Burger King to introduce bacon sundae | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

I already had a bacon sundae when Denny's had a bacon theme last winter. It wasn't very good.

But I see BK will also be having sweet potato fries and I really like those.

Me too. I try to make them at home sometimes, I'm surprised I haven't cut my hands off as sweet potatoes must be the third hardest vegetable to cut after turnips and parsnips.

Wirelessly posted

Dont get me wrong. I love bacon, I love fudge sundae. I just don't like them together.

I love Bacon, but have not had any in years....but in a sundae?....I would ask for a "sample" before I would buy the whole sundae....dunno if BK would do that or not, tho'.

I love Bacon, but have not had any in years....but in a sundae?....I would ask for a "sample" before I would buy the whole sundae....dunno if BK would do that or not, tho'.

I doubt that BK will offer sample.

You just need free sundae coupon.

I already had a bacon sundae when Denny's had a bacon theme last winter. It wasn't very good.

I did tried one at Denny's. I like it! Unfortunately, they stop serve it. Wah..

This is nuts. It's like the beef jerky chocolate bars, Tortilla + lime chocolate bars, or the Ramen noodle bars. How about New Orleans Chili chocolate bars?

And guess what folks? Remember I said we would be seeing $5 chocolates in an inflation-related thread? Sometimes I shock myself...

How about $6!!!!!!

Wild Ophelia Exotic Chocolate Bar - 2 oz. at REI.com

For two ounces!! What goes around, comes around, and you haven't seen anything yet.

The problem is, these businesses are trying to trick people into spending their money, hoping they start a wild craze and help them pay off their houses and buy themselves faster or new cars. I'm talking executives and marketing people, of course, not the flippers.

Anyway, onward with the gradual degradation of humans over time.

This sound really horrible! I think BK is trying to kill people with the crap they put on the market.

I think it sounds awesome! I'd probably want to split it with someone though.

I think I would want a taste, but not the whole thing. Very little about ice cream excites me since it's an affair to even eat it for me.. lactose intolerance means either avoiding dairy or having to take pills, 2 with the first bite of dairy and 1 every 30 minutes eating it (I eat slow! :]).

There's just something good about combining sweet and salty, so I'd definitely taste it. Avoid bacon jelly beans like the plague though.. just a friendly warning.

Robin maybe this is a "BK pet sundae", Sable likes Beggin Strips and ice cream maybe she would like this.

I would definitely try it. A few years ago I was at VooDoo Doughnut in Portland Oregon and saw they had a Maple Bacon Doughnut. I was thinking immediately that looks gross! Anyway, my Uncle and I got two to try and WOW, it was amazing. We tried one with the bacon cold the way it came and the other one we heated up the bacon and put it back on the doughnut. Both were extremely good, so Burger King just might be on to something here combining bacon and sweets. :)

Back