Bulletproof backpack sales soar after Conn. school shooting

I'm not surprised that NRA favor gun manufacturers over gun owners so they will against on ANY TYPE of laws that put restriction on guns, even ban on people with mentally ill or require a background check, however in Arizona, it is easy for people with mentally ill to buy guns without perform a background check.

I don't blame on people who are NRA members, especially Jiro and Reba because they are unaware about transparency of NRA interest. I support second amendment but NRA made too far to move.
Like I said before, they have no respect or they don't care so you are right about NRA favoring the manufacturers for $$$$$$$.

...I don't blame on people who are NRA members, especially Jiro and Reba because they are unaware about transparency of NRA interest. I support second amendment but NRA made too far to move.
I'm not a member of NRA; TCS is.

I'm not surprised that NRA favor gun manufacturers over gun owners so they will against on ANY TYPE of laws that put restriction on guns, even ban on people with mentally ill or require a background check, however in Arizona, it is easy for people with mentally ill to buy guns without perform a background check.

I don't blame on people who are NRA members, especially Jiro and Reba because they are unaware about transparency of NRA interest. I support second amendment but NRA made too far to move.

state law is of no concern to me since all gun sellers are required to follow federal laws otherwise they would be subjected to investigation and/or arrest by ATF. All gun sellers have FFL (Federal Firearm License) so if they're knowingly selling guns to those with criminal or mental history or not performing background checks before selling... they will be prosecuted. a very long time in jail.

that's why there are few-days waiting periods.

Like I said before, they have no respect or they don't care so you are right about NRA favoring the manufacturers for $$$$$$$.

Yup, the gun manufacturers care about MONEY and maximize the profit so they don't care about any massacre occurs or shooting, so NRA is powerful political lobbying and they will against on ALL laws that make harm on gun, even it is very tiny, or not.

The corporations are integrated with our political system and they spend all money that where they care about interest, even fast food won't care about obesity problem, so they want money.

state law is of no concern to me since all gun sellers are required to follow federal laws otherwise they would be subjected to investigation and/or arrest by ATF. All gun sellers have FFL (Federal Firearm License) so if they're knowingly selling guns to those with criminal or mental history or not performing background checks before selling... they will be prosecuted. a very long time in jail.

that's why there are few-days waiting periods.

Oh I see, that's very interesting about federal background.

If people with mentally ill are admit to hospital on voluntary basis so it won't come on background because of HIPAA, however the court order and involuntary will null the HIPAA and appear on background.

What about medical history requirement, prior to buy guns? It could turn the people with mental illness away if they got diagnosed on voluntary basis.

Oh I see, that's very interesting about federal background.

If people with mentally ill are admit to hospital on voluntary basis so it won't come on background because of HIPAA, however the court order and involuntary will null the HIPAA and appear on background.

What about medical history requirement, prior to buy guns? It could turn the people with mental illness away if they got diagnosed on voluntary basis.

not federal background. the federal law requires them to perform a background check. the federal government does not keep a firearm-related info on citizens. that would be illegal but the law requires gun sellers to keep the records and make it readily available for law enforcement agency if needed (via subpoena of course).

about mental issue and law, it's very tricky and difficult. you can learn more about what laws we have now regarding those with mental problem - Possession of a Firearm by the Mentally Ill

not federal background. the federal law requires them to perform a background check. the federal government does not keep a firearm-related info on citizens. that would be illegal but the law requires gun sellers to keep the records and make it readily available for law enforcement agency if needed (via subpoena of course).

about mental issue and law, it's very tricky and difficult. you can learn more about what laws we have now regarding those with mental problem - Possession of a Firearm by the Mentally Ill

I found an interesting article.
FBI Gun Background Check Database Missing Millions Of Records On Mentally Ill

Honestly - the "solution" to this type of violence isn't bulletproof windows, door, backpacks, arming teachers, putting police in schools.

The "solution" is having highly accessible, free and compassionate, individual based mental health services available to ANYONE and ANYTIME (regardless of money, race, religion, if they're even a citizen of the country or not).

If people make mental health a priority, then by that single step you prevent almost all of these situations.

It's expensive, but it saves lives and creates a much stronger, healthier country as a whole ... and that should be "worth it" to anyone living there

Yea, that will help a lot. I am sure there will ALWAYS be some degranged person who will do harm to people regardless of how strong a community is and how accessible the mental health services. However, by doing this, we will have a stronger and healthier country. It cant hurt to try.

really? parents pooling in money together to hire a police officer? let's see.... salary + benefits + pension... a police officer in my old town where I went to high school... the average salary is around $100,000 - $120,000 a year.

so parents pooling in together to hire one... wonder how much they can come up with... $2,000? lol!

NO I bet people that have money would be willing to pay more $2,000 to protect their kids! The bus monitor that was called fast got over $700,000
because people 'felt sorry' for her. These are people kids they will be able to raise more than $700,000 to hire cops to keep their kids alive. I am guessing you have no kids.

NO I bet people that have money would be willing to pay more $2,000 to protect their kids! The bus monitor that was called fast got over $700,000 because people 'felt sorry' for her. These are people kids they will be able to raise more than $700,000 to hire cops to keep their kids alive. I am guessing you have no kids.

no I don't have kids and I wouldn't bankrupt myself or participate in some ridiculous idea like this. If I were that afraid... a very simple and cheapest idea - take my kids away from school and homeschool them myself.

beside - why in GOD'S NAME would some parents pay to protect other parents' kids when they can just take their own kids to private school or somewhere safer?

good luck finding people to donate money to hire cops. that's what? over 5,000 schools. good luck! I certainly won't be donating a single cent to it.

no I don't have kids and I wouldn't bankrupt myself or participate in some ridiculous idea like this. If I were that afraid... a very simple and cheapest idea - take my kids away from school and homeschool them myself.

beside - why in GOD'S NAME would some parents pay to protect other parents' kids when they can just take their own kids to private school or somewhere safer?

good luck finding people to donate money to hire cops. that's what? over 5,000 schools. good luck! I certainly won't be donating a single cent to it.
NRA recommends gun taxes to cover armed guards at every school.

KKK is racial organization, not gun organization.

She is member of gun organization that is more radical (extreme) than NRA, such as GOA (Gun Owners of America).

It is just like HRC is more radical than GLAD.

Not funny. No. I don't belong to any racist groups.

Oh, I know what are you means.

The weird thing is, in the olden days when I attended school we had no computer technology, so all our learning was from books, yet we didn't need backpacks. Now, with "paperless" technology, the kids carry more books than ever.

For grammar school, I carried a book bag and that thing was pretty heavy. In middle school through high school, everyone had lockers. Today, I do notice that children do still carry books. We are not at the full paperless/bookless school stage just yet.

The "solution" is having highly accessible, free and compassionate, individual based mental health services available to ANYONE and ANYTIME (regardless of money, race, religion, if they're even a citizen of the country or not).

If people make mental health a priority, then by that single step you prevent almost all of these situations.

It's expensive, but it saves lives and creates a much stronger, healthier country as a whole ... and that should be "worth it" to anyone living there.

I would love for this to be the solution, but the reality is some parents are not going to send their kids to it even if they have the money. And, you can't force an adult to go through it at all(free or not).

I'd also point out that it is like pulling teeth in this country to get universal healthcare never mind getting people to pay for one special group.
To have this system you would have to include healthcare in taxes as is done in the UK, a virtual impossibility with the politics of this country.

For grammar school, I carried a book bag and that thing was pretty heavy. In middle school through high school, everyone had lockers. Today, I do notice that children do still carry books. We are not at the full paperless/bookless school stage just yet.
That's right since not everyone have a computer (internet access) due to parents' budget. During HS, my daughter's ex-boyfriend didn't have internet access at his parents' home.

Back