Breastfeeding in public around the world

I breastfeed my daughter and have breastfed in public from the first day we brought her home from the hospital. I bothers me that breastfeeding is an "outlawed" meathod to nourish your child (although the BEST way that nature intended!) and formula feeding is the norm.

I breastfeed my daughter and have breastfed in public from the first day we brought her home from the hospital. I bothers me that breastfeeding is an "outlawed" meathod to nourish your child (although the BEST way that nature intended!) and formula feeding is the norm.
Well, some mothers use formulas due to the baby not being able to take breastmilk.

It's all about the nipple!

Health | CDC says breast-feeding rates hit new high of 77 percent in US | Seattle Times Newspaper

ATLANTA — The U.S. breast-feeding rate has hit it's highest mark in at least 20 years with more than three-quarters of new moms nursing their infants, according to a government report released Wednesday.

About 77 percent of new mothers breast-feed, at least briefly, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

"It looks like it is an all-time high" based on CDC surveys since the mid-1980s, said Jeff Lancashire, a CDC spokesman.

Experts attributed the rise to education campaigns that emphasize that breast milk is better than formula at protecting babies against disease and childhood obesity. A changing culture that accommodates nursing mothers may also be a factor.

The percentage of black infants who were ever breast-fed rose most dramatically, to 65 percent. Only 36 percent were ever breast-fed in 1993-1994, the new study found.

For whites, the figure rose to 79 percent, from 62 percent. For Mexican-Americans, it increased to 80 percent, from 67 percent.

Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher celebrated the report's findings, noting that black women have historically had lower breast-feeding rates.

"It was very impressive that when it comes to beginning to breast-feed, African-American women have had the greatest progress," said Satcher, who is now an administrator at Atlanta's Morehouse School of Medicine.

The new report is based on a comprehensive federal survey involving in-person interviews as well as physical examinations. The findings are based on information for 434 infants from the years 2005 and 2006.

(more at above link)

How many of us folks were breast fed/gave breastfeeding? It would seem that the American populace is enlightened about breastfeeding. Next stop: circumcision.

I did breastfeed my son in public wth a blanket but I seriously wanted to go without the blanket cuz it was so awkward and everything. I agree with HandsomeSmiley...just whip the breast out and feed the baby without all the hassle of getting the blanket out, adjusting it, and keeping it from falling off. :rifle:

The only way that I could successfully breastfeed was to have my shirt completely off... I never could learn how to do it with my shirt on :(. Obviously that was a problem when it came to breastfeeding in public. So, I usually pumped and had the bottle ready for when we go out, etc. It worked out for us, plus it gave me a little free time.

BBC NEWS | Health | Breastfeeding 'helps to boost IQ'

More evidence is being put forward that breastfed babies eventually become more intelligent than those who are fed with formula milk.

Canada's McGill University found breastfed babies ended up performing better in IQ tests by the age of six.

But the researchers were unsure whether it was related to the breast milk itself or the bond from breastfeeding.

The study of nearly 14,000 children is the latest in a series of reports to have found such a positive link.

However, one problem has been that some of the research has struggled to identify whether the findings were related to the fact that mothers from more affluent backgrounds were more likely to breastfeed and it was factors related to the family circumstances that was really influencing intelligence.

Breastfeeding is a sign of affluence?

Mom kicked out of Florida restaurant for breastfeeding her baby under a blanket

Every few months or so we see one of these stories: "Breastfeeding mom kicked out of restaurant/shopping mall/grocery store/airplane/swimming pool," usually because she refused to cover her child and spare all the shrinking violets stuck in that space with her the lurid site of a human nipple dripping with vile beast milk. "It's unsanitary!" someone usually shouts. "Breastfeeding mother!" screams another, a phrase akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. But this story is a little different:

Simone Bertucci's family was celebrating her son's thirteenth birthday in a Houston's restaurant in Boca Raton, Florida. During the meal, the restaurant's manager interrupted the family's lively conversation, telling Simone she had to leave while she was nursing her baby---5-month-old Marcello, who was dining at her breast underneath a blanket! So apparently, at Houston's restaurants, you can't even breastfeed your kid under a blanket without upsetting the other customers. Perhaps this has something to do with South Florida, where the elderly population has increased the curmudgeon factor seventy fold in the last half century. Unaware that such an order is contrary to Florida laws on public breastfeeding, Bertucci was "shocked and humiliated," and her husband wanted to leave the restaurant, but instead she insisted on finding another place to breastfeed her son, opting for the baking-hot car in the parking lot.

"I want an apology, a public apology," Bertucci says. "If it happened to me, it's going to happen again and again." She contacted an attorney who encouraged her to document the incident in a police report. Glenn Viers, vice president and general counsel of the company that owns Houston's, sent Bertucci an apologetic letter that said, "We mishandled the situation and we very much regret it," Viers said. "I can't un-ring a bell. I've got three kids and my wife breastfed. Stuff happens. We're human, we make mistakes and we strive not to."

Mom kicked out of Florida restaurant for breastfeeding her baby under a blanket - ParentDish

wow :shock: ,

I think it was interesting that someone said earlier that nowadays it is the educated woman who breastfeeds. How society has changed!

When my mom (an R.N., hence, educated) was raising us in the early 60s, it was the educated woman who did NOT breastfeed. It was thought that breastfeeding was for the poor and ignorant, and that bottle feeding was best for the baby.

Thank goodness we know better now!

This is interesting! I read everyone's experience with breastfeeding. I want to try when I have a baby. I want to save my money instead buy powder formula.

My mom never have breastfeeding for me when I was baby. :( Because she has a breast implant. :Oops: Don't ask me why.

My cousin's wife's breastfeeding to her daughter for 2 weeks. She stopped breastfeed because it's not enough iron. I don't want to be same as her. How can I continue with breastfeed? I know I have to eat a good health. I noticed my longest friend is breastfeed to her baby. She lost the weight a lot from breastfeed. I am sure that breastfeed can help mother to lose the weight. Am i right?

Breastfeeding is hard work!!! Painful too! I remember the painful feeling from being full...ugh!

That's true. I can understand how is it tough! It's so funny when I spend time with my longest friend go to Border's Bookstore for lunch time. Her daughter stayed with dad for an hour. She said, "I need to go home because of my breasts is painful! If I don't go home. My breast will be burst and leak" I said, "I understand can you take me home then? I understand it's tough for you to breastfeed your daughter. It's not fun! :(" I wouldn't mind I can breastfeed to my future baby for experience.

Doesn't rubbing them or using lotion help?

Hahahaha! I wish!!! Not when my breasts were full...it hurted inside like they are bruised inside. No lotion is gonna work! LOL!

I think u were thinking of the nipples when they crack and bleed. Now, that's another story.

I thought breastfeeding would be easy as cake..not during the first few months...boy, I wanted to quit so badly but I kept on.

Hahahaha! I wish!!! Not when my breasts were full...it hurted inside like they are bruised inside. No lotion is gonna work! LOL!

I think u were thinking of the nipples when they crack and bleed. Now, that's another story.

I thought breastfeeding would be easy as cake..not during the first few months...boy, I wanted to quit so badly but I kept on.
What about umm... kneading the breasts? I know they're full, but if you knead them... wouldn't they be sorta umm... I dunno the word. Perhaps stretch or make them loose? :dunno:

What about umm... kneading the breasts? I know they're full, but if you knead them... wouldn't they be sorta umm... I dunno the word. Perhaps stretch or make them loose? :dunno:

That's why pumping helps..:giggle:

Breastfeeding is hard work!!! Painful too! I remember the painful feeling from being full...ugh!

Yeah, It is painful when the breast is full with the milk. I remembered when my breast were sore when it was full, the insides of it was just feeling a bit too heavy and I wanted to extract some of the milk to relieve some pain. The breast pumps were somewhat helpful and it did relieve the pain but when it becomes full, ugh - that's another story, lol.

Jolie and Shel, Did you read my last post about my friend? I can understand how it's pain in the ass with heavy breasts. Can I PM you for question?

That's true. I can understand how is it tough! It's so funny when I spend time with my longest friend go to Border's Bookstore for lunch time. Her daughter stayed with dad for an hour. She said, "I need to go home because of my breasts is painful! If I don't go home. My breast will be burst and leak" I said, "I understand can you take me home then? I understand it's tough for you to breastfeed your daughter. It's not fun! :(" I wouldn't mind I can breastfeed to my future baby for experience.

The breast itself won't burst. It's not like a balloon that will burst. From time to time, yes, it will leak. That is why most of the breastfeeding mothers tends to use the nursing pads that is stuffed underneath the bras to absorb the leakage to prevent any further embarrassment. Also, I don't know about other moms out there but for me, when I feel that my breast is aching for pain, it is kind of a sign for me to say it's time to feed the baby. It is like a body-work clock that tells you and you know what to do when it tells you to do something. In the end, both mommies and the babies are happy.

Jolie and Shel, Did you read my last post about my friend? I can understand how it's pain in the ass with heavy breasts. Can I PM you for question?

Just read it and replied - So, yeah, You can PM me for questions.

Yeah! I saw women are using a nursing pad stuffed to prevent of leak on shirt or bra. My friend can't take a tylenol and cold medicine for headache and cold nose. Because of breastfeeding. That what they told me.

The breast itself won't burst. It's not like a balloon that will burst. From time to time, yes, it will leak. That is why most of the breastfeeding mothers tends to use the nursing pads that is stuffed underneath the bras to absorb the leakage to prevent any further embarrassment. Also, I don't know about other moms out there but for me, when I feel that my breast is aching for pain, it is kind of a sign for me to say it's time to feed the baby. It is like a body-work clock that tells you and you know what to do when it tells you to do something. In the end, both mommies and the babies are happy.

Just read it and replied - So, yeah, You can PM me for questions.

Back