Breastfeeding in public around the world

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Breastfeeding in public around the world
Breastfeeding in public around the world in different countries: Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, India, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, Canada, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Venezuela

Breastfeeding in public in North America

Different states in North America
Women's stories on breastfeeding in public in North America: Canada, USA, Puerto Rico, Bahamas

Breastfeeding in public in European countries
Breastfeeding in public in different European countries: England, Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Germany, Scandinavia, Sweden

Public breastfeeding is common here in Germany.

Very interesting to read their comments over their experience in different countries in the world.

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone doing breast feeding in public in ages. It seems that lot of folks in the US are censored. The babies need millions of vitamins to develop and grow healthy. No one can match the formula of the human's milk or any animal's milk for the babies to drink.

I breastfed my daughter (over 30 years ago), no drama.

Personally, during breastfeeding time I preferred a quiet, private room because it was such a peaceful bonding time. I liked having the pillows for support and putting my feet up while sitting in a comfy chair. I can't imagine enjoying close time between us in a busy noisy mall with lots of people around while sitting on a hard bench. Breast feeding is more than just pumping nutrients into a small body.

I feel the same way about bottle feeding, BTW. Just sticking a bottle in a baby's mouth while the mom keeps shopping or doing whatever is not "motherly" either, in my opinion. The worst is seeing moms prop up bottles in the stroller or crib for the babies and not even hold them while feeding them.

I did prefer to do it in private because it was a speical time with just me and my kids, however, I had no problem doing it in public and didn't give a crap what other people thougth. If my children needed to eat, they ate. If you don't like it, don't look!!!!

I breastfeed my son when he was baby. I refuse do that in public or my family's house or friend's house. I would ask them if I can use their one room that I have private. I don't want anyone see my breast.

Breastfeeds are very important to babies because of very healthy.

I breastfed my son till he was about 14 months old. He is healthy like a horse! He rarely get sick! I go to somewhere that is private (some malls have a room for mother and baby to breastfeed/change diaper etc). One of our mall have that, and I used it a lot!

Some mother cannot breastfeed due to health problem or medication can affect the milk, etc, I understand that.

Our mall has rooms that are just nursering rooms they have pictures of babies on the walls and a recliner where you can relax and just bond i think they also have a changing table in them too but yeah it's a room just for nursing but i've seen people doing it right in the middle of the mall i would never want to do it in public that's me and my babies business not the rest of the worlds

Some mother cannot breastfeed due to health problem or medication can affect the milk, etc, I understand that.

While this can happen I've found that some mothers don't try hard enough to breast feed. My little neice Mia is not being breat fed because my sister in law had teeth problems. When I had a bad tooth I simply had it removed which is a much quicker option. She could have done that easily and gone back to breastfeeding but she wants to save her bad tooth. She seems to care more about having perfect teeth then feeding her baby properly in my view.

I'm for breast feeding all the way. At that time, I was a young mother, I felt uncomfortable with breastfeeding and opted for the formula (bottle feeding) with my firstborn son. It showed how little I only knew of how to make sure the formula had to be at the correct degree, washing the nipples and bottles, and to make sure you're measuring the formula with the water. You're always carrying all those bottles w/ the formulas in the diaper bag. Sometime there's not enough room in the diaper bag that you'd end up carrying 2 bags (one for the bottles/formulas and the other one for diapers, wipes, so and on). Formulas can be expensive now these days. It had it's own advantage because at times, something would come up and I'm not able to be there to feed my son. That's when formula helps. It gives the chance for the father of the baby to bond as well.

But -- When I had my 2nd son, I realized that breast-feeding would be much easier and free. It gave me the chance to bond with my son. I kept breastfeeding him until he turned 1 year old. There was no hassle of washing the bottles and carrying all those stuffs in the diaper bag. Whenever I am breastfeeding him in a public surrounding, I usually bring a small (baby) sized blanket to put over my shoulder. I've got some several weird looks from people who would be walking by me but I have not ever had any problem getting kicked out from places. It felt weird at first when I fed my son in the public surrounding but after a while, I just got used to it and pretty much minded my own business when other people were giving me weird looks.

I do realize that there are other parts of the world are usually "lax" towards mothers breastfeeding their babies in the public surrounding. It isn't the case here in America. Men views breasts as a sexual organ and it is pretty much a "taboo" to show your breasts in public. However, Breastfeeding in public places are slowly starting to get out in the open. More and more people are getting educated about it.

So, with that - I've had the experience of both, breastfeeding and bottle feeding. If I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for breast feeding.

Thank you for share your interesting posts here with me. I respect your POV.

Public Breastfeeding including work place is common here in Germany... Everyone here in Germany don't care about public breastfeeding. It's natural to them since the breasts are everywhere in newspapers, TV, magazine, etc.

I public breastfed my son while I visit my workplace, resturant, park, etc... I do it straight way instead of wait until I am home or at friend's house or whatever because my baby is hungry.

Accord North America's link... What do you think of this?

In some areas in the south (i.e. South Carolina) one can be arrested for indecent exposure and also Child Protective Services will take a child away from the mother who breastfeeds beyond the age of 1 year, presumably for "sexual abuse" reasons.

... What do you think of this?
It's an out of date inaccurate quotation.

A269, R289, H4347)

AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 20-7-97 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A WOMAN MAY BREASTFEED HER CHILD IN ANY LOCATION WHERE THE MOTHER AND CHILD ARE AUTHORIZED TO BE AND TO PROVIDE THAT SUCH BREASTFEEDING IS NOT INDECENT EXPOSURE; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-15-130, RELATING TO THE OFFENSE OF INDECENT EXPOSURE, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THIS OFFENSE DOES NOT APPLY TO A WOMAN WHO BREASTFEEDS HER CHILD IN A PLACE WHERE SHE AND THE CHILD ARE AUTHORIZED TO BE.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

Breastfeeding permitted

SECTION 1. Subarticle 1, Article 3, Chapter 7 of Title 20 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 20-7-97. (A) A woman may breastfeed her child in any location where the mother and her child are authorized to be.

(B) Breastfeeding a child in a location where the mother is authorized to be is not considered indecent exposure."

Breastfeeding in public is not indecent exposure

SECTION 2. Section 16-15-130 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"Section 16-15-130. (A)(1) It is unlawful for a person to wilfully, maliciously, and indecently expose his person in a public place, on property of others, or to the view of any person on a street or highway.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a woman who breastfeeds her own child in a public place, on property of others, to the view of any person on a street or highway, or any other place where a woman and her child are authorized to be.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of subsection (A)(1) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

Time effective

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 27th day of April, 2006.

Approved the 2nd day of May, 2006.

2005-2006 Bill 4347: Breastfeeding - www.scstatehouse.net - LPITS

It's an out of date inaccurate quotation.

It didn´t say anything in your post about age limit and the link, I provided is not old. :dunno:

I am going to paste the full what Christina said. She post what she know from her experience.

USA
State: Georgia
Breastfeeding, public or otherwise, in the USA varies greatly from region to region and person to person, since it is such an extrememly diverse place. Rarely is breastfeeding seen in public in the south, and I usually preferred to nurse my daughter in the parking lot in the car or in a nursing room set up for that purpose. I had trouble with stares and criticism in a restaurant or appointment waiting room. The southern US is more "religious" than other parts of US. The breast is extremely sexualized in the US and there does seem to be an obsession with flesh in advertisement, leading to feelings of shame and unhealthy prioritization of sex over family and the feeding of babies. In some areas in the south (i.e. South Carolina) one can be arrested for indecent exposure and also Child Protective Services will take a child away from the mother who breastfeeds beyond the age of 1 year, presumably for "sexual abuse" reasons. (Newberry County) Breastfeeding rates are higher among the educated, since they have more information about its benefits and also social support. Some states are passing laws protecting public nursing. I'm not surprised to hear about the women in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina being distressed not to have formula. The poor and uneducated were the majority who were left behind when the hurricane hit and this population views breastfeeding with more sexual bias and more formula is used by poor welfare mothers, because it is completely subsidized for them by the government and they also have to go back to work sooner after giving birth, so it is more in the poorer culture to not breastfeed. (it is not accepted to take time off work here to pump milk or tend to children, who are rarely, if ever, allowed to come to work with mother and mother can be fired for answering calls to tend to children too frequently) I spoke with some of the poor mothers in the health care waiting rooms when I was nursing and they swore they would never do THAT - something like it was gross or something. Also the government/indigent hospital (MCG) here in Augusta, Georgia does not give very much support to new mothers in learning breastfeeding, according to my friend who gave birth there and works there. In contrast, I immediately after giving birth received wonderful instruction from a lactation consultant at Mission St. Joseph hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, who provides some but less indigent care than MCG. Where one lives in the US and how much money one makes or education one has is everything to do with it here.

Christina

I compared Christina´s comment with other link...
Breast obsession

Lack of breastfeeding leads to breast obsession

I'm for breast feeding all the way. At that time, I was a young mother, I felt uncomfortable with breastfeeding and opted for the formula (bottle feeding) with my firstborn son. It showed how little I only knew of how to make sure the formula had to be at the correct degree, washing the nipples and bottles, and to make sure you're measuring the formula with the water. You're always carrying all those bottles w/ the formulas in the diaper bag. Sometime there's not enough room in the diaper bag that you'd end up carrying 2 bags (one for the bottles/formulas and the other one for diapers, wipes, so and on). Formulas can be expensive now these days. It had it's own advantage because at times, something would come up and I'm not able to be there to feed my son. That's when formula helps. It gives the chance for the father of the baby to bond as well.

But -- When I had my 2nd son, I realized that breast-feeding would be much easier and free. It gave me the chance to bond with my son. I kept breastfeeding him until he turned 1 year old. There was no hassle of washing the bottles and carrying all those stuffs in the diaper bag.

Interesting... and agree with you totally...

Check this thread, I created at few years ago.
http://www.alldeaf.com/parenting/9314-formula-bottle-via-breast-milk.html

Whenever I am breastfeeding him in a public surrounding, I usually bring a small (baby) sized blanket to put over my shoulder. I've got some several weird looks from people who would be walking by me but I have not ever had any problem getting kicked out from places. It felt weird at first when I fed my son in the public surrounding but after a while, I just got used to it and pretty much minded my own business when other people were giving me weird looks.

It´s really sad that the people didn´t know that it´s nature when they think is "dirty thoughts" when mothers public breastfeed their babies.

I do realize that there are other parts of the world are usually "lax" towards mothers breastfeeding their babies in the public surrounding. It isn't the case here in America. Men views breasts as a sexual organ and it is pretty much a "taboo" to show your breasts in public. However, Breastfeeding in public places are slowly starting to get out in the open. More and more people are getting educated about it.

So, with that - I've had the experience of both, breastfeeding and bottle feeding. If I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for breast feeding.

I am glad to know that more people around get education about breastfeeding.

Accord my American co-workers: They feel comfortable and do public breastfeed and rather to go German clinic instead of US clinic here in Germany. They told me the negative about breastfeeding in America which is really sad. The people gave them dirty look etc. Now you said that more people get education... I am sure that they will learn to understand that it´s nature and it´s mother´s milk...

It didn´t say anything in your post about age limit and the link, I provided is not old. :dunno:

I am going to paste the full what Christina said. She post what she know from her experience.

I compared Christina´s comment with other link...
Breast obsession

Lack of breastfeeding leads to breast obsession
OK. Christina's quote about South Carolina is wrong. As you can see from my post and link of the legislation regarding breastfeeding, it is NOT illegal to breastfeed in public in South Carolina.

If you want to post accusations about state laws please check your facts first.

OK. Christina's quote about South Carolina is wrong. As you can see from my post and link of the legislation regarding breastfeeding, it is NOT illegal to breastfeed in public in South Carolina.

I respect you if you think Christina´s comment is wrong. I also respect Christina when she know from her experience, too. I am not saying that you and Christina are wrong but your and her view are just different.

Sure, we know that it´s legal to have public breastfeeding in America but Christina stated that breastbreeding for age 1 year old consider to be "sex abuse".

If you want to post accusations about state laws please check your facts first.

I do not accuse anything but question you about the age limit since Christina mentioned "age of 1 year".

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone doing breast feeding in public in ages. It seems that lot of folks in the US are censored. The babies need millions of vitamins to develop and grow healthy. No one can match the formula of the human's milk or any animal's milk for the babies to drink.

Last week, my husband happened saw this lady breastfeed her baby right front of him at Target. He was kind of surprise to see this one, ur right it had been awhile since mother breastfeed in public.

I respect you if you think Christina´s comment is wrong. I also respect Christina when she know from her experience, too. I am not saying that you and Christina are wrong but your and her view are just different.
It's not my "view" that breastfeeding in public in SC is legal--it's the LAW. The quote that you posted about South Carolina law was WRONG. That's not my opinion--it's fact.

Sure, we know that it´s legal to have public breastfeeding in America
That's not what you posted the first time. :mad:

You posted: "In some areas in the south (i.e. South Carolina) one can be arrested for indecent exposure "

but Christina stated that breastbreeding for age 1 year old consider to be "sex abuse".
We already know that Christina was wrong about the SC law but you still trust what she says about this, too?

I do not accuse anything but question you about the age limit since Christina mentioned "age of 1 year".
I've searched and searched, and I can't find any cases in South Carolina where, "Child Protective Services will take a child away from the mother who breastfeeds beyond the age of 1 year, presumably for 'sexual abuse' reasons."
I checked the local news sources, the SC LaLeche League ( LLLofSC ), SC Breastfeeding Action Committee ( SCBAC.ORG - South Carolina Breastfeeding Action Committee ), and the web search engines.

BTW, in South Carolina "Child Protective Services" is called DSS (Department of Social Services), so I suspect this Christina doesn't know what she's talking about. Oh, and I checked the SC DSS site also.

It's possible someone might try to accuse a mom of sex abuse through nursing during a messy divorce or some other dispute just to make trouble. But I can't find any reports of it happening in SC. If you have such a report, I would like to know about it so I can find out what happened.

Last week, my husband happened saw this lady breastfeed her baby right front of him at Target. He was kind of surprise to see this one, ur right it had been awhile since mother breastfeed in public.
Maybe one reason we don't see more moms breastfeeding is because fewer moms are nursing their babies. That's sad. :(

Back