Brake Pad Dust.......

when you feel a vibration through the steering wheel its a done deal, but usually with newer cars once the pads wear down drastically the anti lock brakes will start skipping during stops as pressure isn't applied evenly and the wheels will lock up (usually rears) since they last longer therefore letting the front wheels turn and causing the ABS to engage.

Not really, I still can feels the squeaking when applies the brake with ABS from rear brake pad OR front brake pad. ABS don't really engage when you applied brake very slow, Only engaged ABS on snow, rain, mud, off-road or apply brake so hard from high speed. That's how I feels when brake pedal got pulse which mean it's ABS enable.

OK....I need some help. As most of you know I just purchased a 2014 Nissan Maxima. Today we were out most of the day and I noticed all down the side of my Pearl White new car is break dust. It went past the driver door to the passenger door. It wipes off very easily but I don't want to have to do that.

Hubby thinks I just need to let things settle in and this should stop.

Any ideas?

Brand new car from dealer? If so there is Chinese made brake pads....:eek3: Sorry there is nothing you can prevent brake pads for dust....

ok and your input on solid steel wheels?
Debunked..... no differences.

Full stamped wheels with no openings, can create overheated rotors too. They are found on older vehicles and some newer vehicles. In 2000, a customer complaint squeak noises in the front brakes of her old Mercedes Benz after replaced new pads and rotors. I sanded the pads lightly and faces of the rotors, discard dust shield plates, reinstall the pads, torqued lug nuts, return it to a customer. I've not seen her since. Discard dust shield plates fixed squeak noises...:wave:

Full stamped wheels with no openings, can create overheated rotors too. They are found on older vehicles and some newer vehicles. In 2000, a customer complaint squeak noises in the front brakes of her old Mercedes Benz after replaced new pads and rotors. I sanded the pads lightly and faces of the rotors, discard dust shield plates, reinstall the pads, torqued lug nuts, return it to a customer. I've not seen her since. Discard dust shield plates fixed squeak noises...:wave:

Dust shield don't cause squeeks...come on, be real dude.
That's why they sell anti squeal/squeak gunk for the pads...works every time. No difference with solid steel wheels, solid aluminum wheels or dust covers.... wake up. Blinded and brainwashed by big brother and the nut pullers.

yeah, she was involved in a minor fender bender and was claiming it on the insurance and waiting....waiting....waiting, then grinding and grinding... just because she didn't want to pay for $20 brake pads. I told her I would change them out and she didn't want to listen and submit the bill later...
Turned out the other person didn't have insurance and she only had liability so she ended up kicking herself in the ass for it later as we can see.
ah well, whats a guy to do?

ah stubborn spouses.. dont we love ee:dizzy:m?

Brand new car from dealer? If so there is Chinese made brake pads....:eek3: Sorry there is nothing you can prevent brake pads for dust....

We have five Nissans and none of them had this break dust issue. HOWEVER...my issue seems to be settleing down. I don't drive my car very often.

We have five Nissans and none of them had this break dust issue. HOWEVER...my issue seems to be settleing down. I don't drive my car very often.

Yes, I wonder...I notice Nissan/Infiniti have less brake dust than other vehicles. No worry about your car. Keep it going as you drive...

I drove my car today and zero brake dust......so happy!!!!

Dust shield don't cause squeeks...come on, be real dude.
That's why they sell anti squeal/squeak gunk for the pads...works every time. No difference with solid steel wheels, solid aluminum wheels or dust covers.... wake up. Blinded and brainwashed by big brother and the nut pullers.

The pads are expanding because of the heat, can contact the faces of the rotors without brake applied, create noises. With aftermarket dust shield plates or covers mounted inside the wheel (outboard side), block air flow, allow no cool to the rotors. Most vehicles still have dust plates with scoop (not to dust covers), mounted at the spindles, where the fresh air flow enter the inboard of the rotors/pads to cool down.
I do agree with you that solid/stamped wheel, get no brake dusts, they are ancient vehicles.

Is there any indication of this wear other than sound, which is useless to some of us.

German vehicles have brake wear warning lights or message from the dash. They uses electric wear indicator device that pressed in the brake pads as brake pad sensors. Worth it as useful info.. why don't you buy MBZ or BMW?
One other indicator that we can't hear brake noises is Red Brake waring light that can be relates to low brake fluid, sign of thin brake pads or shoes or thin rotors/oversized brake drums etc. Worth to check them now than sorry.

German vehicles have brake wear warning lights or message from the dash. They uses electric wear indicator device that pressed in the brake pads as brake pad sensors. Worth it as useful info.. why don't you buy MBZ or BMW?
One other indicator that we can't hear brake noises is Red Brake waring light that can be relates to low brake fluid, sign of thin brake pads or shoes or thin rotors/oversized brake drums etc. Worth to check them now than sorry.

Our Infiniti had the electronic wear indicators, the switch is built into the brake pad backing plates... first time I ever seen the switch/indicator thing on the brakes. Learn something new all the time ...lol

The pads are expanding because of the heat, can contact the faces of the rotors without brake applied, create noises. With aftermarket dust shield plates or covers mounted inside the wheel (outboard side), block air flow, allow no cool to the rotors. Most vehicles still have dust plates with scoop (not to dust covers), mounted at the spindles, where the fresh air flow enter the inboard of the rotors/pads to cool down.
I do agree with you that solid/stamped wheel, get no brake dusts, they are ancient vehicles.

The rotors today on most cars are vented, so circumfugal force moves air through them like a fan to help cool them down, but all brake hardware and pads get extremely hot when driving especially disc brakes as they have constant contact with the rotor surface, where the old shoe type drum brakes had springs to pull them back so there was minimum contact with the drum surface until applied. Overall, front brakes do about 90% of the stopping power, that is why front pads needs changed more often than the rears.

Our Infiniti had the electronic wear indicators, the switch is built into the brake pad backing plates... first time I ever seen the switch/indicator thing on the brakes. Learn something new all the time ...lol

Something like that.

The rotors today on most cars are vented, so circumfugal force moves air through them like a fan to help cool them down, but all brake hardware and pads get extremely hot when driving especially disc brakes as they have constant contact with the rotor surface, where the old shoe type drum brakes had springs to pull them back so there was minimum contact with the drum surface until applied. Overall, front brakes do about 90% of the stopping power, that is why front pads needs changed more often than the rears.

If you work on BMW vehicles you have to pay attention to the front/rear brake rotors for curved vents inside the rotors that indicates directional rotation. You can't swap the rotors to the sides. The curved vents help to suck more air flow like you mentioned. I like curved vents over straightened vents.

If you work on BMW vehicles you have to pay attention to the front/rear brake rotors for curved vents inside the rotors that indicates directional rotation. You can't swap the rotors to the sides. The curved vents help to suck more air flow like you mentioned. I like curved vents over straightened vents.

The curve makes the air flow faster as it reaches the outer edges. If curved the wrong way it will scoop air instead of throwing it out as designed. I didn't know that about BMWs but I did know about the curvature in a "fan" as I used to build machinery, if we installed a "fan blade" which was a rotor type design upside down it wouldn't pull the hot air out of the machine it would actually force it back inside and overheat.

126642291249366.jpg

discdirection.jpg

Back