Boy do I feel stupid

I locked the keys in the car once when I was teenager. My mom, bless her everlovin' heart, walked better than a mile down to the beach to rescue me!

'course I also got grounded for two weeks for doing it, but still, pretty nice of her to come down. Especially since she had told me the one place I was NOT to go to - in her car! - was down to the beach, since it was early spring and deserted and she didn't want me alone down there...

Hence the grounding. Fair enough.

The real damage was making Dixie feel stupid. Emotional abuse is very damaging.

I'm all for logical consequences, but the walking home would depend on how far it was and what the weather conditions were.

My teen is a really good kid. We're just having "adjustment issues."

I was probably 4 and a half miles from the house, so altogether it was 9 miles of walking. It was during summer late in the afternoon. I remember getting home sometime after dark that night. My feet hurt so bad from walking I didn't go anywhere else but home that night. I remember being very hot and having a huge headache when I got home. I'm thinking I was probably dehydrated from all that walking in the heat.

That's not reasonable at all. Giving up a privilege for a few days would have been appropriate. Walking alone in the dark is a security and safety hazard, too. That sucks.

You arent the only one. I have left water running all day while I was out doing errands only to come home to a very very flooded apt. It was a good thing that we lived on the ground floor. I cant imagine the drama if we had people living under us.

My deaf friend has left the 2nd floor bathroom sink water running all night while she was sleeping. She went downstairs to find a big hole in the ceiling from being so wet and water all over her kitchen floor.

That's a great start to her day! :P :lol: But seriously, I would hate that to happen to me.

I used to have the habit of locking myself out of my vehicle during high school. Finally, I just made it a habit to lock the door with the key itself instead of hitting the lock button. This way I KNOW the keys are in my hand when the doors are locked. In the vehicle I have now - I have this wonderful thing called a key fob!! I physically attach my keys to my body BEFORE I exit the vehicle (I have a carabiner that I clip to my belt loop). I shut the door and double check I have my keys, then and only then will I hit the 'lock' button on my key fob. In my dad's truck, if the keys are inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

The last time I locked myself out of the vehicle during high school was when my dad made me walk home to get the spare keys then walk back. He said maybe the long walk will give me enough time to think about finding better ways of locking my vehicle. I sure remembered it because I had blisters on my feet by the time I got done.

I also had this habit of losing my driver's license too during high school. Finally, I just put a hole in the corner of it, then put it on my key ring. That way I knew if I was going anywhere that I would always have it with me. Of course when it expired and I had to renew the lady at the DMV wasn't too thrilled with it.

After that, I just finally started using a wallet that would fit in my back pocket. I couldn't carry a purse because mom would get mad if I left it sitting in the kitchen for more than 5 minutes and throw all the contents out into the back yard. I wound up losing my learner's permit for driving this way. She threw everything out and the wind blew my permit away. I had to start all over on my driving test since I had no way to show physical proof of a learner's permit at the DMV. I think mom partially did this on purpose to 1.) make me feel stupid and 2.) not let me continue on with my driving because I was somehow stupid.

Yeah, there goes stupid me again...

I can't believe your parents. *SHM*

I used to have the habit of locking myself out of my vehicle during high school. Finally, I just made it a habit to lock the door with the key itself instead of hitting the lock button. This way I KNOW the keys are in my hand when the doors are locked. In the vehicle I have now - I have this wonderful thing called a key fob!! I physically attach my keys to my body BEFORE I exit the vehicle (I have a carabiner that I clip to my belt loop). I shut the door and double check I have my keys, then and only then will I hit the 'lock' button on my key fob. In my dad's truck, if the keys are inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

The last time I locked myself out of the vehicle during high school was when my dad made me walk home to get the spare keys then walk back. He said maybe the long walk will give me enough time to think about finding better ways of locking my vehicle. I sure remembered it because I had blisters on my feet by the time I got done.

I also had this habit of losing my driver's license too during high school. Finally, I just put a hole in the corner of it, then put it on my key ring. That way I knew if I was going anywhere that I would always have it with me. Of course when it expired and I had to renew the lady at the DMV wasn't too thrilled with it.

After that, I just finally started using a wallet that would fit in my back pocket. I couldn't carry a purse because mom would get mad if I left it sitting in the kitchen for more than 5 minutes and throw all the contents out into the back yard. I wound up losing my learner's permit for driving this way. She threw everything out and the wind blew my permit away. I had to start all over on my driving test since I had no way to show physical proof of a learner's permit at the DMV. I think mom partially did this on purpose to 1.) make me feel stupid and 2.) not let me continue on with my driving because I was somehow stupid.

Yeah, there goes stupid me again...

Your parents sound like real jerks! My dad was an abused drunk ! I came home late and dad was drunk and he got an ax was going to smash the engine in my car ! He was so drunk he tried open the hood by pulling on the vent for the car and almost ripped it out! Dad gave up when he could not get the hood open! I know what it like having abused parents, I am sorry to hear you have go through that!

Well for me growing up, this was normal. I just didn't realize until I was around 17 or 18 that I was getting treated differently than my brother.

I'm almost afraid to say that my father is/was an alcoholic, but he does spend night after night in his home office drinking beer. When he drinks, he gets mean and just really is unpleasant to be around.

But I admit that I've battled my alocholism. I finally had to hit rock bottom and come to the end of myself before I made the decision to just stop. I think i'm the one that's done enough to be the failure. I just don't want to call my dad an alcoholic too, it just doesn't seem right even though he does it.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? I hope so.

I do understand. Every body has to be held accountable for their own decisions they've made and you are trying to do just that.

It's happened that I wake up before my bed shaker goes off. If I forget to stop the alarm clock, it will go off and I won't notice or hear it. So it just keeps shaking for 30 minutes or an hour before I notice the smell of overheated machinery. Then I shut it off.

I don't know what would happen if it kept shaking all day long... set the mattress on fire?

:lol:

I have done exactly what you did. Very recently, I forgot to turn my alarm clock off and the bed was only shakin' for about 10 minutes before I entered my room. Whew. I dont want my bed to smell funny at night. :laugh2:

Well for me growing up, this was normal. I just didn't realize until I was around 17 or 18 that I was getting treated differently than my brother.

I'm almost afraid to say that my father is/was an alcoholic, but he does spend night after night in his home office drinking beer. When he drinks, he gets mean and just really is unpleasant to be around.

But I admit that I've battled my alocholism. I finally had to hit rock bottom and come to the end of myself before I made the decision to just stop. I think i'm the one that's done enough to be the failure. I just don't want to call my dad an alcoholic too, it just doesn't seem right even though he does it.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? I hope so.

I understand you very well! I never pick up drinking as I knew I would end up an alcoholic just like my dad! I am a lot like dad and had to work very hard to break the abusive patten that been passed down from my dad's dad and his dad etc! I was able to finally beak the abusive patten .
One alcoholic can mess up a lot of people life's and I was not going to let my dad drinking mess up my daughter's life! It feel good knowing that I broke a abusive patten that been passed down from one generation to the
next! I am sorry for going way off the topic .

Last edited:
I left the sink on in the bathroom today-

I got up, went to the bathroom, washed my hands, and made some coffee. Around that time, I got a text from my downstairs neighbor saying she thought I left something on. apparently I had forgotten to turn the sink off after washing my hands. Our bathroom sink doesn't drain very fast, so the water ran over the edge and all over the floor. I hadn't put my HAs in yet, so there was no way I could have heard it. not that I would have with them, but you never know. By the time I got the text, there was two inches of water in my bathroom- hot water, and the hallway carpet was wet around the door. Water had leaked down into her bathroom below me. I felt so dumb, and cried the whole time maintenance was asking me questions. And they were giving me looks like, "Oh poor stupid deaf girl left the sink on." Apparently, they had also been knocking on my door for a few minutes instead of simply ringing the doorbell which has a sign by it, so I didn't hear them at the door. They finally rang the bell and I was mopping up the water in the bathroom. I feel so awful. :(

You have no reason to feel that way. It was a simple mistake, no need to cry. It's happened to me before, and just because you could not hear them at the door; well that is THEIR fault. They should have been more observant, and paid more attention to the sign next to the door bell. Maybe just to be on the safe side, you should also get a sign put directly on the door? So it's the first thing they see. I am sorry that has happened to you though. :/

You have no reason to feel that way. It was a simple mistake, no need to cry. It's happened to me before, and just because you could not hear them at the door; well that is THEIR fault. They should have been more observant, and paid more attention to the sign next to the door bell. Maybe just to be on the safe side, you should also get a sign put directly on the door? So it's the first thing they see. I am sorry that has happened to you though. :/

Thanks, it's over now, but I still feel kind of bad about it. The doorbell and sign are actually on the door as they're wireless and I did want people to see it. There's also a little picture of an ear with a line through it that's bright blue. Lol. I guess they just weren't paying attention.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It's ok to feel bad about it. It's not ok to brood about it too long. Learn from your mistake and move on.

Here's a stupid thing I did today. I forgot that I have only two sauce pans and since I planned to cook rice for dinner in the little pot and the big pot for braising my chicken leg, and I decided to thaw out my cream of aspargus before realizing that I'd need to have both warm rice and soup so now I'll cook crocus quickly and use that instead.

Here's a stupid thing I did today. I forgot that I have only two sauce pans and since I planned to cook rice for dinner in the little pot and the big pot for braising my chicken leg, and I decided to thaw out my cream of aspargus before realizing that I'd need to have both warm rice and soup so now I'll cook crocus quickly and use that instead.

ha ha ha. Perhaps, we get losing our mind slowly. Probably definitely not the Alzheimer's. Rarely, I put my cereal box in the refrigerator by my mistake. I could keep it fresh in the refrigerator if I want to. However, I bet that my cereal has some chemical preservation in them which is not necessary for me to put it in the refrigerator. I am trying to change it to ogranic cereal from a health food store - sometimes too pricey if it is not on a sale.

ha ha ha. Perhaps, we get losing our mind slowly. Probably definitely not the Alzheimer's. Rarely, I put my cereal box in the refrigerator by my mistake. I could keep it fresh in the refrigerator if I want to. However, I bet that my cereal has some chemical preservation in them which is not necessary for me to put it in the refrigerator. I am trying to change it to ogranic cereal from a health food store - sometimes too pricey if it is not on a sale.

Sounds like a case of ADD! lol

I didn't realized that I didn't read the first page.

Oh boy! I would feel awful guilty. We just have to go on our life and do our best try not to let another mistake. It is not your purpose for this happen. I think that we all do happen on something in one day, but you are not alone. Just let it go and enjoy yourself. Perhaps laugh yourself by telling your new friends about it someday.

It should be couscous! I'm not eating flowers. :P

I once left the keys in the ignition and left the car running for 4 hours. I was at work, a good 45 minutes away from home, and no way to get the spares, so had to have a locksmith come out. :( I've never done that again since!

lol that reminds me. One time I was riding with a friend of mine - he got a text from our friend saying he locked his keys in a running van of his and since he was not mechanically inclined he asked us to come and try to see what we could do.

Coincidence that he and the van was only a block away next to a laundromat. We got a hanger and opened the van, walked into the cafe, and handed him the keys - exactly 5 minutes from him texting us.

Yep, happens to everyone.

Back