Boy do I feel stupid

I once left the keys in the ignition and left the car running for 4 hours. I was at work, a good 45 minutes away from home, and no way to get the spares, so had to have a locksmith come out. :( I've never done that again since!

It happened to me, too. :lol:
Some bystanders offered to stick stuff into the exhaust to kill the engine, but of course I firmly nixed the idea, since it can mess up the valves in the engine. :roll:

It happened to me, too. :lol:
Some bystanders offered to stick stuff into the exhaust to kill the engine, but of course I firmly nixed the idea, since it can mess up the valves in the engine. :roll:

And, that was back in the days when you could leave the keys in the ignition/running and still lock the doors. My cars nowadays (Honda Civic) do NOT let you do that. It won't lock the doors if the engine is still running and in Park. So nice safety feature there.

And, that was back in the days when you could leave the keys in the ignition/running and still lock the doors. My cars nowadays (Honda Civic) do NOT let you do that. It won't lock the doors if the engine is still running and in Park. So nice safety feature there.

Yeah, and you can configure a Ford Focus to do that as well.

I left my bathroom sink running overnight once. Oops? I'm just glad I myself don't have to pay the water bill... haha. Once my kitchen sink almost overflowed.. I was filling the sink up so i could wash some dishes, had to go answer the door, and completely forgot about the running water! I got back to the sink just in time to turn it off before water started flowing down to the floor.

Accidents happen.

That's for sure.

Here's my own favorite "stupid trick:" Last March I was planning on driving down to our beach house, a five hour drive away, to tend to the early spring clean-up in the garden and that sort of thing.

Hit the road and there was really, really bad traffic. So after more than an hour on the road, I was still only about 45 miles away from home. When all of a sudden, I thought..."which keys do I have?" Pulled off at the next rest stop, and guess what - I had our home keys, plus my car keys obviously, but had forgotten to grab the keys to the beach house!

Sigh - turned around and went back home, to try again the next day. WITH all the relevant keys, thankyouverymuch.

I was just glad I discovered it when I was still within easy turn-around distance. Would have been REALLY upset if I'd driven the whole 5 hours' worth only to discover I couldn't get into the house!

:shock:

THAT would have sucked!!! I probably would've just broken into my own house at that point! :lol:

I would have been really, really, annoyed, for sure. Probably would have checked into a motel and had hubby FedEx the keys overnight, but it would have been an expensive lesson, for sure!

I used to have the habit of locking myself out of my vehicle during high school. Finally, I just made it a habit to lock the door with the key itself instead of hitting the lock button. This way I KNOW the keys are in my hand when the doors are locked. In the vehicle I have now - I have this wonderful thing called a key fob!! I physically attach my keys to my body BEFORE I exit the vehicle (I have a carabiner that I clip to my belt loop). I shut the door and double check I have my keys, then and only then will I hit the 'lock' button on my key fob. In my dad's truck, if the keys are inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

The last time I locked myself out of the vehicle during high school was when my dad made me walk home to get the spare keys then walk back. He said maybe the long walk will give me enough time to think about finding better ways of locking my vehicle. I sure remembered it because I had blisters on my feet by the time I got done.

I also had this habit of losing my driver's license too during high school. Finally, I just put a hole in the corner of it, then put it on my key ring. That way I knew if I was going anywhere that I would always have it with me. Of course when it expired and I had to renew the lady at the DMV wasn't too thrilled with it.

After that, I just finally started using a wallet that would fit in my back pocket. I couldn't carry a purse because mom would get mad if I left it sitting in the kitchen for more than 5 minutes and throw all the contents out into the back yard. I wound up losing my learner's permit for driving this way. She threw everything out and the wind blew my permit away. I had to start all over on my driving test since I had no way to show physical proof of a learner's permit at the DMV. I think mom partially did this on purpose to 1.) make me feel stupid and 2.) not let me continue on with my driving because I was somehow stupid.

Yeah, there goes stupid me again...

I used to have the habit of locking myself out of my vehicle during high school. Finally, I just made it a habit to lock the door with the key itself instead of hitting the lock button. This way I KNOW the keys are in my hand when the doors are locked. In the vehicle I have now - I have this wonderful thing called a key fob!! I physically attach my keys to my body BEFORE I exit the vehicle (I have a carabiner that I clip to my belt loop). I shut the door and double check I have my keys, then and only then will I hit the 'lock' button on my key fob. In my dad's truck, if the keys are inside the vehicle, the doors won't lock.

The last time I locked myself out of the vehicle during high school was when my dad made me walk home to get the spare keys then walk back. He said maybe the long walk will give me enough time to think about finding better ways of locking my vehicle. I sure remembered it because I had blisters on my feet by the time I got done.

I also had this habit of losing my driver's license too during high school. Finally, I just put a hole in the corner of it, then put it on my key ring. That way I knew if I was going anywhere that I would always have it with me. Of course when it expired and I had to renew the lady at the DMV wasn't too thrilled with it.

After that, I just finally started using a wallet that would fit in my back pocket. I couldn't carry a purse because mom would get mad if I left it sitting in the kitchen for more than 5 minutes and throw all the contents out into the back yard. I wound up losing my learner's permit for driving this way. She threw everything out and the wind blew my permit away. I had to start all over on my driving test since I had no way to show physical proof of a learner's permit at the DMV. I think mom partially did this on purpose to 1.) make me feel stupid and 2.) not let me continue on with my driving because I was somehow stupid.

*SMH* at your parents.

I've had hearing friends in High School with parents like yours. Oh, they get under my skin! Grrr!

Just goes to show, even if you were hearing your parents would be the same. :(

All parents are unreasonable thugs. Just ask my teen.

But Dixie's parents really took that "unreasonable thug" thing a step or three too far. Throwing the contents of her purse out on the lawn? Is Mom nuts???

I'm sorry you had such a tough time with your parents growing up, Dixie. It sounds like they haven't mellowed much over the years, either. Can't wait 'til you get into your own apartment and start living your own life!

The real damage was making Dixie feel stupid. Emotional abuse is very damaging.

I'm all for logical consequences, but the walking home would depend on how far it was and what the weather conditions were.

My teen is a really good kid. We're just having "adjustment issues."

Back