Boy do I feel stupid

I do feel better now. And my down stairs neighbor was soooooo good about it. I hope they don't make me move back to the dorms, I like my apartment and my apartment mate. I dunno, I texted my mom after I did it and she got really pissy with me. She said, "You've been deaf all your life, you think you'd learn things by now." Uhg, but I guess like you all said anyone could do it, it's just that when I do it people- and I- assume it's because I can't hear, like being hearing would fix every little mistake I've ever made. Lol.

Not nice of Mum to say that! :hug:

For me, I don't forget, just don't hear water run.

I have sympathy for the ones who have done it - but I have to admit, I don't get how you can just walk out of the bathroom or the kitchen and leave the water running. Usually aren't you running the water for a specific task (wash your face, brush your teeth, rinse something out in the sink, etc.), and then when you're done with the task, you're done with the water, right?

I admit to doing my share of stupid things, of course. Just that leaving the water running has never (so far - knock on wood!) been one of them.

I have sympathy for the ones who have done it - but I have to admit, I don't get how you can just walk out of the bathroom or the kitchen and leave the water running. Usually aren't you running the water for a specific task (wash your face, brush your teeth, rinse something out in the sink, etc.), and then when you're done with the task, you're done with the water, right?

I admit to doing my share of stupid things, of course. Just that leaving the water running has never (so far - knock on wood!) been one of them.

I've left water running in the kitchen sink, and in the bathtub....anybody can be engrossed with what they are doing, then the door bell can ring or the VP...even someone coming to the back door, etc. ....I had hot water running in the kitchen sink to soak a pan...looked out the window and saw my son fall off his skateboard, so I ran outside to see if he was alright. By the time I got back in the house, the kitchen floor was flooded....so it does happen.

So far I've not done this, but I've had my share of stupid moments.

Like - last week I got halfway to Russellville before I realized I didn't have my wallet which had my DL and my money in it. I had to turn around and go all the way back home to get it. By then, I had to buy more gas before I left town to make it to Russellville. Stupid me.

Another time I was at work. I thought I could just make one trip by putting the 30 egg cull flats on the same cart as the 54 egg flats. Well I was putting them on there then they got hung sideways. About the time I was going to reposition my hands to readjust them, they fell through. I lost two flats of culls and 3/4 of a 54-egg flat of hatchable eggs. Stupid me.

Also one more time I was pumping gas, went in to the station to buy a coke and a candy bar before I left. I managed to leave without paying for my gas. I didn't realize it until the store manager approached me in the bank two days later and told me about it. Stupid me.

It didn't flood, but I was very sleepy one time and wanted to take a shower before taking a nap. I turned on the shower and went to the living room while the shower warmed up, found a bill, sat down to look at it, and next thing I knew I woke up a couple hours later. The shower had been running the whole time and the place was very, very humid. lol I didn't hear it.

I think the lesson here is... make sure your sink/basin/tub drains faster than it fills! I occasionally have to clean out the tub drain or hair will clog it to the point it will stop draining. not a good situation (and cleaning is yucky too).

When I moved back to Massachusetts with my daughter after living in California for 9 years I forgot how cold it got in the winter and I was renting an apartment and turned off the heat to save my oil while I when to my mother for Thanksgiving. When I got back to my apartment I found out the water pipes had busted and the toilet bowl almost cracked as the water froze in it! My plant froze to death too! The tenant next door heard water running in my apartment and called the landlord! I was very lucky as the landlord thought it was funny that I forgot how cold it got here! He did not make me pay for any damages!

When I moved back to Massachusetts with my daughter after living in California for 9 years I forgot how cold it got in the winter and I was renting an apartment and turned off the heat to save my oil while I when to my mother for Thanksgiving. When I got back to my apartment I found out the water pipes had busted and the toilet bowl almost cracked as the water froze in it! My plant froze to death too! The tenant next door heard water running in my apartment and called the landlord! I was very lucky as the landlord thought it was funny that I forgot how cold it got here! He did not make me pay for any damages!

Wow, you were lucky!

I've left the water on accidently. I can't hear it and I got distracted by something. I was lucky because I have a huge sink that drains quickly.

You arent the only one. I have left water running all day while I was out doing errands only to come home to a very very flooded apt. It was a good thing that we lived on the ground floor. I cant imagine the drama if we had people living under us.

My deaf friend has left the 2nd floor bathroom sink water running all night while she was sleeping. She went downstairs to find a big hole in the ceiling from being so wet and water all over her kitchen floor.

You didn't do anything wrong, it can and does happen to anyone (hearing, hoh, or deaf) and the maintanence guy was stupid for not paying attention to the sign you posted next to the doorbell (curious, what does it say exactly?).

:giggle: I think this thread should be renamed to "stupid thing you've done/heard about" the way this thread is going. :giggle: I've done some stupid things. I've done the "locked myself out of my car" thing a few times. I am always dropping keys, credit cards, driver's license, money, pens/pencils, receipts, etc and sometimes I am lucky to find them again if I remember/realize what happened within a short time.

One time I left my car's headlights on, I didn't even realize it until the next morning when the car wouldn't start (luckily a weekend and I didn't have to be at work). While waiting for AAA, my neighbor saw me and came over to tell me that she had recognized my car, saw that the lights were on, and tried knocking on my door for almost 20 minutes the previous night. I had never heard any knocking even with my hearing aids (what some hearing people think is a cure :roll:). I realized that day how much I relied on my family (especially my twin sister) for those vital clues. Not long after I adopted my rescue dog and signed her up for hearing service dog training, not just mobility training (she was a perfect candidate). BTW, she is also trained to pick up the dropped keys, credit cards, driver's license, money, pens/pencils, receipts, etc when she hears them drop since I don't. I taught her that myself (I had to be more klutzy than I already am :giggle:).

Okay now for a funny story: I used to love making cookies for work and after washing the metal cookie sheet and tongs (metal tongs with a plastic handle), I'd slip them in the oven for storage (I know stupid idea). One time I decided to make another batch of cookies and I preheated the oven without checking. By the time I realized the cookie sheet was still in the oven (it was fine), the plastic tongs were melted. :giggle: Luckily they had been a free gift from a purchase.

Any other stories?

It's happened that I wake up before my bed shaker goes off. If I forget to stop the alarm clock, it will go off and I won't notice or hear it. So it just keeps shaking for 30 minutes or an hour before I notice the smell of overheated machinery. Then I shut it off.

I don't know what would happen if it kept shaking all day long... set the mattress on fire?

You didn't do anything wrong, it can and does happen to anyone (hearing, hoh, or deaf) and the maintanence guy was stupid for not paying attention to the sign you posted next to the doorbell (curious, what does it say exactly?).
Any other stories?

The sign says, "Resident is deaf, you must use the doorbell to activate the visual alert system. Do not knock." It's more like plaque, the university put it on the door for me the week I moved in.

I once left the keys in the ignition and left the car running for 4 hours. I was at work, a good 45 minutes away from home, and no way to get the spares, so had to have a locksmith come out. :( I've never done that again since!

The sign says, "Resident is deaf, you must use the doorbell to activate the visual alert system. Do not knock." It's more like plaque, the university put it on the door for me the week I moved in.

The maintenance guys probably couldn't even read!...Even if they could, they probably were so ignorant they didn't "understand" it....I've had my share of really stupid maintenance guys (not all of them tho')....

Back