Boy do I feel stupid

How about investing a faucet that closes itself just like in some restrooms of department stores???

Those are pretty neat, those "touchless" faucets. If you don't want to buy a whole new faucet, you can get a touchless adapter for about $35 and put it on your existing faucet. Might be well worth it!

Those are pretty neat, those "touchless" faucets. If you don't want to buy a whole new faucet, you can get a touchless adapter for about $35 and put it on your existing faucet. Might be well worth it!

I didn't know about the adapter. Thanks for the info.

I left the sink on in the bathroom today-

I got up, went to the bathroom, washed my hands, and made some coffee. Around that time, I got a text from my downstairs neighbor saying she thought I left something on. apparently I had forgotten to turn the sink off after washing my hands. Our bathroom sink doesn't drain very fast, so the water ran over the edge and all over the floor. I hadn't put my HAs in yet, so there was no way I could have heard it. not that I would have with them, but you never know. By the time I got the text, there was two inches of water in my bathroom- hot water, and the hallway carpet was wet around the door. Water had leaked down into her bathroom below me. I felt so dumb, and cried the whole time maintenance was asking me questions. And they were giving me looks like, "Oh poor stupid deaf girl left the sink on." Apparently, they had also been knocking on my door for a few minutes instead of simply ringing the doorbell which has a sign by it, so I didn't hear them at the door. They finally rang the bell and I was mopping up the water in the bathroom. I feel so awful. :(

i leave the water on all the time- must be a deaf thing :giggle:

i leave the water on all the time- must be a deaf thing :giggle:

I've left the kitchen tap running twice - this was when my father was very sick and I was really distracted and pre-occupied.

It stopped after my downstairs neighbours banged on their ceiling (my bedroom floor). My sink doesn't drain very well so the water ran over and leaked into their kitchen downstairs. Felt so bad about that that for about a month afterwards, I kept waking up in the middle of the night to double check that the tap was off.

Ha, ha, you're not alone. :P I've done that more times than I care to remember. :P

Same here! I have to check my bathroom before I go out to make sure I turned the water off! I can't hear the water running unless the water it hitting a dish or pan in the kitchen sink ! Do you want hear something real dumb! I had a client when I health aide that had to move because she was living with her 'hearing' daughter that blew her house up!! The daughter has fleas in her house and used about 10 or more flea bombs and left her house. When she came home a a few hours later her whole house was DONE! Will at least she had no more fleas! The daughter did not read the instruction on the flea bomb that said to 'turn off all gas appliances' ! How that what I call being real stupid!! As soon as I heard what happen , I knew the 'hearing' daughter left the gas heater on! Hearing people do stupid things all the time!! Don't let it get to you , I bet those people did some stupid things in their life. You did nothing stupid.

Don't feel bad. Do you know how many times I haven't been paying attention and put the milk in the pantry, the eggs in the cabinets, my keys and cell phone in the fridge. No lie. I've done it thousands of times. I've also put the gallon of milk on the stove and melted it. Being hearing or deaf doesn't make you any more susceptible to making mistakes. I do it all the time.

I had put my yogurt in the freezer by mistake and ice cream in the fridge ! I once drop my HA in water by mistake and to my surprise it still worked!!
I had fish and was treated some water for them, the water was in a gallon water bottle and I left it on the counter. I got thirsty and poured myself some water and after drinking the water I realize it was the fish water!! The tap water actually taste better after being treated!

Here's a partial list of all the stupid things I've done:

Last week I melted my blender by mistake when I put it on one of the burners on my stove. I had just taken out my frozen soup and put it inside my pot.

Then I turned on my knob. The problem was that I turned on the wrong knob. Five minutes later, my blender was a mass of melted plastic and my soup remained frozen. :P

My new blender goes into the cabinet when I'm done with it instead of the counter. There's limited space on my counter. :P

I broke the blender before that one by not taking out all the bones and my base cracked as a result.

Once I lost my atm card 13x in one year. I nearly lost it when my banker asked me how i manged to lose so many cards.

I've locked myself out of the car 5x this year and left the engine running twice even as I locked myself out of the car.

I've left the lights on my car at least 3x this year.

Once I was making chicken stock and then got so engrossed with with a website on the net that I forgot all about my stock till about 4 hours later. :shock: Now I make it a rule not to play WoW or go to sites when I am making soup or stock.

Same here! I have to check my bathroom before I go out to make sure I turned the water off! I can't hear the water running unless the water it hitting a dish or pan in the kitchen sink ! Do you want hear something real dumb! I had a client when I health aide that had to move because she was living with her 'hearing' daughter that blew her house up!! The daughter has fleas in her house and used about 10 or more flea bombs and left her house. When she came home a a few hours later her whole house was DONE! Will at least she had no more fleas! The daughter did not read the instruction on the flea bomb that said to 'turn off all gas appliances' ! How that what I call being real stupid!! As soon as I heard what happen , I knew the 'hearing' daughter left the gas heater on! Hearing people do stupid things all the time!! Don't let it get to you , I bet those people did some stupid things in their life. You did nothing stupid.

Well that's dumber than anything I ever did! :giggle:

I'd like to get one of those.

The beauty of being human is that we all make mistakes. My sister once left the toaster oven on and went to work. By the time I got home, the house was hotter than hell (it was spring), smoke was filling up the kitchen, the smoke alarm was on and I thought everything would explode from the heat. Her response was, "Oh well." My response was to throw out the toaster oven.

I'd like to get one of those.

The beauty of being human is that we all make mistakes. My sister once left the toaster oven on and went to work. By the time I got home, the house was hotter than hell (it was spring), smoke was filling up the kitchen, the smoke alarm was on and I thought everything would explode from the heat. Her response was, "Oh well." My response was to throw out the toaster oven.

That's all she said? I'd be saying a hell lot more than that!

Uhg, I just felt downright sick to my stomach seeing all that water everywhere, and now my residence manager wants to 'have a word with me about my living accommodations.' I'm worried they're going to boot me back into the dorms where it's 'safer' for me.

They CAN'T do that. PERIOD! No room for discussion.

How about investing a faucet that closes itself just like in some restrooms of department stores???

O would love one of those, just the building is very old, plus we're not allowed to make changes on our own. I guess I could talk to the maintenance man and see if he could install it if I bought it. But as the apartment is owned by my college's residential service, it is basically a dorm and I doubt they'll let me.

They CAN'T do that. PERIOD! No room for discussion.

I hope not, they were pushing me very hard to move into a different residence hall at the beginning of the year because they did not want to modify my fire alarm. They said they already had a room set up for 'hearing impaired' people in another hall, but I like mine darn it and it was just a fire alarm, so I pushed it. But now they seem to have a good reason.....

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Mom was unnecessarily harsh. We all make mistakes. It will all work out.

Mom may have been worrying the college would try to come after her to pay for it.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

And mom is worried about her child's safety no doubt. Moms always worry about their kids.

Mom may have been worrying the college would try to come after her to pay for it.

I think she was, plus she get so irritated when I'm all scatter-brained and do dumb things. I don't really blame her for it. What's weird is once the maintenance man showed up, I had already cleaned up the water by then, he just looked at it and said "You got it all cleaned up?" I nodded at him and he just left! He didn't even look to see if I had damaged anything... I was really surprised.

Plasicdinosar, it's nothing have to do with deaf thing. Hearing people get this everywhere. My father happen to left the kitchen sink running water on when he got distracted with my Alzheimer mom and he had to check with her... 15 minutes later, the water overflow, it when from 2nd floor down directly to guest apt where my uncle live in, all over his computer, monitor, desk, his paper work, and more. Then later, some how my alzheimer mom got up in the middle of the night, she went to the laundry room on 3rd floor, she must have messing around with utility sink and the faucet head was swing out of the sink and she turn it on. it ran all night, the water got all over the laundry room, seeped through the kitchen and then to the guest apt. All 3 floors... it's a hellish mess. It's very common that hearing people get this... not just only deaf people.....

Back