Boy Charged As Adult In Animal Attacks?

I definitely think the parent's should be evaluated deeply. Their history, background, home, family, friends, etc. A child doesn't wake up one day and think "I'm going to go hurt some animals. That sounds fun!" There is clearly something wrong with the child. While I do I agree that he is very much in the wrong and should not just get a slap on the wrist for something like this (and I have a strong feeling it could lead to a serial killer status if not taken seriously). I also believe it had to of came from somewhere. Are the parents really watching their kid? hurting him? or perhaps letting him watch movies that makes it seem "ok" to watch?

Actually, a child can wake up one day, and feel compelled to hurt something or someone. That is the nature of a psychotic disorder or a mood disorder with psychotic features. The onset of these disorders is often very subtle until one day, the child actually suffers a psychotic break. Then in retropsect, one can see minor things that perhaps pointed in that direction.

If this child has an early onset psychotic disorder, which happens in many of these cases, he will probably spend more time in mental hospitals for his entire life than he ever spends outside one. This is a very tragic situation, and one has to feel for the misery this child will suffer his entire life.

mm I have to say this is sad when I think about this. I've heard of such cases and often remorse is quite painful for the person who committed these acts.

mm I have to say this is sad when I think about this. I've heard of such cases and often remorse is quite painful for the person who committed these acts.

I had a young man that killed a cat in the middle of a psychotic break. His father brought him in for crisis intervention. The child was horrified at what he had done. He was begging me to put him in the hospital before he hurt one of his brothers or sisters. It just broke my heart.

I had a young man that killed a cat in the middle of a psychotic break. His father brought him in for crisis intervention. The child was horrified at what he had done. He was begging me to put him in the hospital before he hurt one of his brothers or sisters. It just broke my heart.

I can imagine. I remember hearing about one mother who did horrific acts to her baby son in middle of a severe pychotic break. I felt bad for her. I'm not telling the horrific details here.

Does soemthing in the op's post suggest to you that this child is suffering a bad break from reality?

Does soemthing in the op's post suggest to you that this child is suffering a bad break from reality?

Nothing specific. I am making an educated guess based on what I know precipitates behaviors of this sort.

Like the others said, definitely a serial killer in the making. Very frightening behavior.

I definitely think the parent's should be evaluated deeply. Their history, background, home, family, friends, etc. A child doesn't wake up one day and think "I'm going to go hurt some animals. That sounds fun!" There is clearly something wrong with the child. While I do I agree that he is very much in the wrong and should not just get a slap on the wrist for something like this (and I have a strong feeling it could lead to a serial killer status if not taken seriously). I also believe it had to of came from somewhere. Are the parents really watching their kid? hurting him? or perhaps letting him watch movies that makes it seem "ok" to watch?
Who knows...it seems that he wasn't really raised properly, or lacking medical treatment.

Who knows...it seems that he wasn't really raised properly, or lacking medical treatment.

Sometimes, it has nothing to do with the parents. One of my brothers had problems with violence and the law growing up. My dad and step-mom were always there for him and everything. He started this destructive behavior when he was 18 months old and then all the way up to now, so many problems with his behavior.

It may have something to do with an undiagnosed mental disorder, whereas in hindsight, the warning signs seem pretty clear.

I'm with Jillio, this kid needs to be in a mental ward where he can be evaluated and possibly rehabilitated, although assuming this would take years.

Back