Boy Billed for Missing Birthday Party

My roommate's daughter wants a midnight bowling birthday party this year so I warned my roommate that she would need to save money as it could be a few hundreds of dollars. She asked if she is required to pay for each child and I said " Yes because you are inviting them to a party so you have to pay." She wanted the kids' parents to pay for their child. She hasn't thrown a birthday party for her kids in years. I told her that my husband and I were the ones who paid for everything for our son's birthday parties. Was I wrong to tell her that she is supposed to pay for everything?

No, you were not wrong. If you invite people to a party, you are expected to pay the full cost of the party. Pretty much just like a wedding.

My roommate's daughter wants a midnight bowling birthday party this year so I warned my roommate that she would need to save money as it could be a few hundreds of dollars. She asked if she is required to pay for each child and I said " Yes because you are inviting them to a party so you have to pay." She wanted the kids' parents to pay for their child. She hasn't thrown a birthday party for her kids in years. I told her that my husband and I were the ones who paid for everything for our son's birthday parties. Was I wrong to tell her that she is supposed to pay for everything?

I had a bowling party for my child and I paid for everything , I invited the kids to my child b-day party so is was my responsibly to pay for them . I don't think you were wrong.
I think it's a drag the boys are not friends anymore b/c of the parents acting like kids.

Last edited:
I had a bowling party for my child and I paid for everything , I invited the kids to a my child b-day party so is was my responsibly to pay for them . I don't think you were wrong.
I think it's a drag the boys are not friends anymore b/c of the parents acting like kids.

I don't think you would have the same problem with bowling that they had with the ski slope. All the bowling I have ever known of was charged based on actual lines bowled rather than an expected number before the event.

No , you did the right thing.

My question is that if the birthday party is a snow tubing party and the cost is based on each child, why didn't the place refund the birthday boy's family when Alex didn't show up?

My question is that if the birthday party is a snow tubing party and the cost is based on each child, why didn't the place refund the birthday boy's family when Alex didn't show up?

The original article refers to it as a "no show fee".

No it was a friendly reminder. I wonder where did she gets the idea for making other parents for kid at her kids birthday party?? That's not my style.

That is a good question , maybe the place didn't realize one kid did not show up or they don't give back refund? What if a kid got sick and could not make it I wonder if the parents that gave the party would want that kid to pay them back too?

No it was a friendly reminder. I wonder where did she gets the idea for making other parents for kid at her kids birthday party?? That's not my style.

I brought it up. She forgot what it was lke to give parties. She couldn't remember if she had to pay for it or ask for contributions.

That's crazy. I wouldn't make a contract with a company that charges "no show fee". Rip-off! It should be illegal.

Same with a dentist's appt, no show but it still charges a client for not showing up. Sickening!

That's crazy. I wouldn't make a contract with a company that charges "no show fee". Rip-off! It should be illegal.

Same with a dentist's appt, no show but it still charges a client for not showing up. Sickening!

Only if you don't cancel the appointment within 24 hours.

you have kids party think twice where have it,i.. if you invited then ownous on those giving party

I think it's more like Julie sent a bill to her in anger and thought she'd teach them a lesson :roll:

Only if you don't cancel the appointment within 24 hours.
I assume that you meant, "only if you don't cancel the appointment at least 24 hrs in advance". Anyway, if I have an appt today in
the afternoon and I get a flu this morning so I can't go, I refuse to pay a "no show fee". Who the hell do they think they are? All they want is money, money, money.

How is a 'no show at the dentist' the same as what happened with the birthday party?

With the dentist I can see why they would charge a fee. Your appointment takes the dentist's time, took a spot that could have been for somebody else. So when you no show, you are taking money out of their business (thus causing them to lose money). They need to recoup it somehow.

I thought the invoice was silly. I don't know how the original invites were delivered but you'd think the party giver would have the info/address/phone numbers of the party goers in case anything comes up. She could have mailed it to them rather than sticking it in the kid's backpack. If the PLACE where they had the party wanted the money then THEY can contact Alex's parents but as it stands the birthday boy's parents were the ones who scheduled the time at the snow tubing place therefore they're responsible for all fees etc.

I shake my head sometimes at how big some birthday parties have gotten and the lengths some parents go to HAVE parties. Monkey Joe's is about all I could deal with lol (my nephew has had parties there- I think niece did too...). I was never so lucky to have a party like that... never had one.

Back