Boy Billed for Missing Birthday Party

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/yea...chool-friend/story-25884528-detail/story.html

A FIVE-year-old boy has been handed an invoice – for missing his friend’s birthday party.

And now his parents claim they have been threatened with the possibility of court action if they don’t stump up the cash.

Advertisement

Derek Nash and his partner, who live in Torpoint, discovered the ‘no show fee’ invoice for £15.95 in their son’s school bag last week.

Mr Nash, a delivery driver, said he “thought it was a joke”.

Related content

Bracelets handed out to primary school children recalled amid safety fears

Booster the dog lived with a belly full of toys - which were only revealed after Quality Street mishap

Big cats, zombies, clowns and potholes - 10 years of Freedom of Information in Plymouth

Drunk in the morning man tells himself to shut up

Plymouth primary school starts teaching pupils Mr Tumble-style sign language

Plymouth ski centre criticises mum for billing boy who missed birthday party

Alex's parents fear they may be dragged into a court battle - all because their son chose a day out with his grandparents over a pal's birthday party

Just before the Christmas holidays, Alex, their son, was invited to a classmate’s Birthday party at the Ski Slope and Snowboard Centre.

Alex, who goes to Torpoint Nursery and Infant School, told his parents he wanted to go and so Mr Nash and his partner confirmed he would be at the celebration.

Mr Nash said: “She saw me and asked if Alex was coming to the party. At this time I agreed and said that Alex was looking forward to it.”

But Mr Nash later realised he had arranged for Alex and his sister Lily to out for a day trip with their grandparents.

“By this time we did not have a contact number, email or an address to let [the boy’s mother] know,” explained Mr Nash.

“So on the day of the party we asked Alex what he wanted to do; he chose to be with his grandparents.”

On January 6 Alex went back to school as the new term got under way.

Mr Nash continued: “My partner looked out for [the friend’s mother] to apologise for Alex not showing up to the party, but didn’t see her.

“But on January 15 she looked in Alex’s school bag and found a brown envelope. It was an invoice for £15.95 for a child’s party no show fee.

The bill Alex brought home. He was not charged VAT on his birthday party no-show...

“I asked Alex’s class teacher if [the child’s mother] had given anything to her. She said, ‘Yes, a brown envelope’.

“I then visited Alex’s school headteacher, who couldn’t apologise enough that one of the teachers had passed this on.

“She said she would remind all staff that this was a breach of protocol.”

“I left the school and went to see [the birthday boy’s mother] as her address was on the invoice.

“When she answered the door I told her I had found the invoice in my son’s school bag and that I wasn’t happy about it.

“I told her I would not be paying her the money.

“I told her she should have spoken to me first and not put the invoice in my son’s school bag.”

He added: “I would have sympathised with her about the cost of Alex not showing up, but I just can’t believe the way she has gone around it.”

The couple claim that the mother of Alex’s friend has threatened the couple with taking the case to the small claims court.

And five-year-old Alex has told his parents that his classmate will no longer play with him after he didn’t show up to the party.

Poor Alex says his friend will no longer play with him at school since the row broke out

Mr Nash said: “I drive all around the South West for my job and I have talked to quite a few people about this.

“They’re all quite incredulous that this has happened.

“I thought it was a joke to begin with. I am lost for words.”

Mr Nash’s partner has been in contact with the mum via Facebook hoping to resolve the situation.

The mother of Alex’s friend was unavailable for comment when contacted by The Herald.

Full Facebook conversation between Alex's mum Tanya and the birthday boy's mum Julie.

Tanya Walsh

Hi Julie. This is Alex's mum. I don't know what has happened between you and my partner, Derek. I was very shocked to see the invoice in Alex's school bag. I did not realise that you had to pay for each child, as you never mentioned anything about money when we spoke. The only reason Alex did not attend the party was because his nan and grandad were going away for christmas and the only day the kids could go see them was on the same day as the party. I did not know this. On the day Alex decided that he wanted to spend time with his nan and grandad. I apologise for not letting you know, but I did not have a phone number or an e-mail for you to let you know the situation(I also didn't know your first name, or I would have looked you up). If I had known that I would have to pay if Alex did not go, then I would have paid you the money, no problem. I do not like fighting with people, and would prefer to settle this amicably.

Julie Lawrence

Hi Tanya, I didn't mention the money when we spoke because it was a child's party, it doesn't matter if you have to pay per person or for a group if people agree to going, I confirmed that with all parents on the Thursday before the party that they were going as I had to pay that day, and Derek told me Alex was looking forward to it and would see us there, to me that is confirmation. My phone number was on the invitation that was sent out to Alex. I don't like fighting with people either, and was not best impressed when Derek turned up on my doorstep, and said you won't get any money out of me, rather rudely, I do admit it rattled me. This is not the first time Alex has not turned up to a party that he has been invited to, either. the amicable way round this I believe would be to pay me the money and let a lesson be learnt, I hope this is agreeable ? Julie

Tanya Walsh

Hi Julie, who's party is Alex supposed to have gone to? I did speak to another mum about a party but she never got back to me with details, other than that I don't recall any other confirmed invites. The only reason Derek was angry was because of the fact that the envelope was put into Alex's school bag, when it has nothing to do with the school. He spoke to the headteacher about and she said that it's against school policy to do that kind of thing. Birthday invites are fine, but not personal items. Like I said before, no money was mentioned when we spoke, and I feel it would be inappropriate to pay you the money, when I don't know what it's actually paying for. Alex was very excited to go to the party. I didn't know until the day about his nan and grandad, and he decided he would rather spend the day with them. Like I said before I didn't have your number to let you know. And exactly what lesson would I be learning. I am not a child, so please do not speak to me like I am one. So, to answer your question, unfortunately no. This is not agreeable.

Julie Lawrence

You are paying for 1 x child's party at the ski slope including snow tubing and tobogganing and lunch, to with you said Alex was attending on the Thursday

Tanya Walsh

Just so you know, small claims court cost #60 just to start a claim. Also I'm not paying for something we didn't use.

Julie Lawrence

It doesn't cost that much

Tanya Walsh

It does. Also I don't think the school are very happy with you involving them in this either. I don't know why you are out for our blood and slandering us. I've told you the reasons why alex didn't go. I also told you why I couldn't call. You also don't seem to understand that I never ran away from you. I didnt hear you calling after me. I have to get to my daughter at carbeile. So if they let alex out last then I have to rush a bit because evie, my 2 year old, walks slow. So maybe that's why you thought I was rushing off. I had no reason to run to run away from you. So please do not state things as truth when you do not have all the facts. Maybe if you actually spoke to me rather than making your own mind up about what happened then none of this would be happening right now. If you had come up to us the first day back and explained about the money, then I could have explained about alex, then maybe we could have sorted something out. Instead you send an invoice.

WTF?

Kind of weird that Alex's dad is referred to by name in the story but his mom is called "the partner."

At least Alex wasn't charged for the VAT. :lol:

I find it odd that Alex's mom would let a little kid go to a party where she had no way to contact the hosts. The invitation must have included an RSVP contact that she could have used.

Anyway, if I were Alex's mom, I would pay the bill, even if it wasn't a legal requirement. It's not worth the grief to fight over it.

If I were the birthday boy's mom, I wouldn't have sent a bill to Alex's parents.

Sad situation to drag the kids into.

It's kind of like reserving a hotel room and not showing up. That bill may look ridiculous, but what do I know?

Kind of weird that Alex's dad is referred to by name in the story but his mom is called "the partner."

I find it odd that Alex's mom would let a little kid go to a party where she had no way to contact the hosts. The invitation must have included an RSVP contact that she could have used.

Anyway, if I were Alex's mom, I would pay the bill, even if it wasn't a legal requirement. It's not worth the grief to fight over it.

If I were the birthday boy's mom, I wouldn't have sent a bill to Alex's parents.

Just thought of something! Were the kids that DID show up asked to pay their share?

It's kind of like reserving a hotel room and not showing up. That bill may look ridiculous, but what do I know?
Except reserving a hotel room is a business contractual agreement. Accepting a birthday party invitation is a social agreement.

Both moms messed up. Alex's mom should have tried harder to contact the birthday mom. The birthday mom should have been more up front about the importance of the RSVP due to the cost involved.

Alex's mom should have offered to pay for any hardship caused by the cancellation. If she had done that immediately, there's a good chance the other mom would have said, "Oh, thank you, but that's not necessary."

In the article it stated that the birthday boy wont play with Alex because of this whole thing. There are no good lessons to be learned from this except for greed.

Just thought of something! Were the kids that DID show up asked to pay their share?
Dutch treat party? Don't know, the story didn't include that information. However, I rather doubt it since that would have been mentioned in the invitation. How else could they show up prepared to pay?

From the emails between both mothers...

"You are paying for 1 x child's party at the ski slope including snow tubing and tobogganing and lunch, to with you said Alex was attending on the Thursday"

I think she should not give a party that she is not willing to "eat the costs" of no-shows.

Otherwise she should have put on the invitation that no-shows would be expected to pay for their portion of the party.

just don't invite alex again...this sort of party would been very expensive depending on the amount of kids there
if they able to fb each other then should been done in first place

Alex's mom told the birthday boy mom her son would be going to the party.
So I can see the people wanting their money back but I disagree with the way this was handled . I agree pay up and hopefully the boys will be friends again.

little alex hopefully learn not be so forgettfull...if day out with granny grandpa could be done anytime the kids 5th or 6th party one off....I only had about 5kids a cake jelly few games...why people spend all this money is stupid .take it back to good old days cake, friends and parents...parents try to outdo each other with these sort of things

little alex hopefully learn not be so forgettfull...if day out with granny grandpa could be done anytime the kids 5th or 6th party one off....I only had about 5kids a cake jelly few games...why people spend all this money is stupid .take it back to good old days cake, friends and parents...parents try to outdo each other with these sort of things

It was not Alex that was forgetful ,it was his mother that forget she made plans for the kids to see grandma and the parents asked Alex which he would rather do go the party or see grandma , he picked grandma. This happen a lot when you have kids , you double book on the same day.

IMO - this little quibbling over cost is trivial and irrelevant. what Julie did was condemnable. she definitely crossed the line by putting an envelope in Alex's backpack. that's just a big no-no.

This mom is a lunatic. My kids party and some one don't show up. I wasted on food. I wasn't whine over it. Someone has a reason not to show up. Let it go!

Omigod. :roll: Won't hold up anyway.

5 year olds = No contract
No contract = No deal

RSVP isn't a legal contract... RSVP is a request to respond to a invitation. You can mark that you can attend or decline... it's all about etiquette. If there is a change of plans in the last minute, would have to contact the host to inform them. I'm not sure why this was not done. Both sides are in the wrong to make matters worse.

If just one kid doesn't show up, I wouldn't worry about it and let my kid enjoy the party and have good time. I can understand it costs money to plan everything and the foods involved. It's not worth the time to fuss over with one kid didn't show up.

My roommate's daughter wants a midnight bowling birthday party this year so I warned my roommate that she would need to save money as it could be a few hundreds of dollars. She asked if she is required to pay for each child and I said " Yes because you are inviting them to a party so you have to pay." She wanted the kids' parents to pay for their child. She hasn't thrown a birthday party for her kids in years. I told her that my husband and I were the ones who paid for everything for our son's birthday parties. Was I wrong to tell her that she is supposed to pay for everything?

Back