Born into Deaf families vs Hearing families

blank canvas

Reaction score
So I am taking a Deaf culture class and Deaf people in society class and the reading material for this week has a lot to do with the differences of deaf people born into deaf families and ones born into hearing families. I know with kids (based on my own experiences only) it is easy to tell based on language that they either have hearing or deaf parents.
Well, my question is as adults do you notice a difference in they're signing style.

Oh yea..I have met many CODAs who are much much more fluent in ASL than their deaf counterparts who were born in hearing families. My son's language fluency in ASL is more advanced than some of the 5 year olds who attend my work. It is interesting to see that. I don't find any difference between CODAs or deaf kids from Deaf families as ar as fluency goes.

Yes I see that myself I know at my daughters school I tried to talk to one of the little girls and my daughter got my attention and said the little girl doesn't understand me her reasoning was she has hearing parents. I had to point out to her that she was also born to hearing parents, her response "but her parents are more hearing" and no she wasn't referring to they're ability to hear she was talking about signing ability and style.

So is this obvious as adults.

I'm sorry I realize this is a matajan style question, but I am not finding the answers online. and no it is not for a homework assignment it is my own question.

I see a big difference as well. It's not always the case, but it's generally so.

My child's ASL is far less fluent than a boy with a CI we've known since they were both a little more than 1YO -- same school, both smart little ones. His mom is deaf, dad is hearing but fluent, we're hearing and learning. I think no matter how much exposure in school, the impact of the native language in the home is HUGE and shifts that bilingual balance tremendously. That's why we've arranged a special pull-out from her class into ASL-only Friday class to bring up her fluency.

But on the other hand, my child's ASL is more fluent than another boy in her grade -- and yet he is DOD, both parents are native ASL. They think it may be the influence of TV, he just doesn't seem to want to sign. I think they were planning to move away from using HAs for a while to shift his language. Frustrating for the parents, who are raising him in a wonderful ASL-drenched environment.

My child's ASL is far less fluent than a boy with a CI we've known since they were both a little more than 1YO -- same school, both smart little ones. His mom is deaf, dad is hearing but fluent, we're hearing and learning. I think no matter how much exposure in school, the impact of the native language in the home is HUGE and shifts that bilingual balance tremendously. That's why we've arranged a special pull-out from her class into ASL-only Friday class to bring up her fluency.

But on the other hand, my child's ASL is more fluent than another boy in her grade -- and yet he is DOD, both parents are native ASL. They think it may be the influence of TV, he just doesn't seem to want to sign. I think they were planning to move away from using HAs for a while to shift his language. Frustrating for the parents, who are raising him in a wonderful ASL-drenched environment.

I sense sarcasm here, am I incorrect?

I sense sarcasm here, am I incorrect?

Uh, no. Not at all. Seriously. My daughter is at an ASL school. The ideal for perfecting her development of ASL would be exactly that -- full immersion. Same as if we were going totally oral, in which case we'd want fully spoken language immersion. It just happens that my family is bilingual and we split her immersive experiences, providing her with partial immersion in both. That lack of full immersion is why we have to work to bring up her ASL. And maybe we'll have to work more at spoken language someday.

It really is frustrating for the parents of this child. I suspect it will be fine and he's just being a bit rebellious. I'm sure I'll never have to worry about that with my daughter. << that's sarcasm.

Uh, no. Not at all. Seriously. My daughter is at an ASL school. The ideal for perfecting her development of ASL would be exactly that -- full immersion. Same as if we were going totally oral, in which case we'd want fully spoken language immersion. It just happens that my family is bilingual and we split her immersive experiences, providing her with partial immersion in both. That lack of full immersion is why we have to work to bring up her ASL. And maybe we'll have to work more at spoken language someday.

It really is frustrating for the parents of this child. I suspect it will be fine and he's just being a bit rebellious. I'm sure I'll never have to worry about that with my daughter. << that's sarcasm.

Ok that is why I asked, it is at times hard to tell when things are in black and white.

My son's language fluency in ASL is more advanced than some of the 5 year olds who attend my wor
You know, maybe a good idea might be to offer preschool to CODAs to serve as language models to the kids from hearing families who may not be as fluent.
That lack of full immersion is why we have to work to bring up her ASL. And maybe we'll have to work more at spoken language someday.
:cool2: Glad you realize that! She prolly won't need say a Clarke style intervention (speech therapy THREE TIMES A DAY?!?!) but seeing as even hoh kids can fall behind when they reach the Fourth Grade Glass Ceiling, that's an area of concern.

So I am taking a Deaf culture class and Deaf people in society class and the reading material for this week has a lot to do with the differences of deaf people born into deaf families and ones born into hearing families. I know with kids (based on my own experiences only) it is easy to tell based on language that they either have hearing or deaf parents.
Well, my question is as adults do you notice a difference in they're signing style.

Yes, it is noticed. I have had people actually ask me if I am a CODA. I consider that to be the best compliment I could get on my ASL skills.

I once had a Deaf person ask me if I was deaf, which surprised me because I don't consider myself a very good signer. I think part of it is that so few hearing fathers bother to learn ASL that when they see a man signing to his kids, they just assume he's deaf.

I once had a Deaf person ask me if I was deaf, which surprised me because I don't consider myself a very good signer. I think part of it is that so few hearing fathers bother to learn ASL that when they see a man signing to his kids, they just assume he's deaf.

That could be, because you are correct in that fewer fathers will learn ASL than mothers of deaf children. However, some of it may be the way you are "phrasing" with your signs, or your relaxation while signing. Both would indicate more of a "deaf" exposure.

I am pretty fluent with signs I use all the time like YOUR BOTHER YOU HIT, WHY? NO! WRONG WRONG WRONG! TELL-TO-HIM SORRY!

:D

Maybe you had me asking you that. :shock:

I always ask everyone if they're deaf, no matter if I think they're hearing.

Reason:
If I ask them if they are hearing...
Deaf person will reply "Wtf man! I am deaf..." And remember this for life. :/
Hearing person is "yeah...."

If I ask them if they are deaf..
Deaf person goes "Yeah"
Hearing person goes "No!!!" and they're absolutely thrilled.

I've posted this before.

:laugh2:

So familiar! But with us it's the dog, not the brother. She still has to apologize. In sign.

I am pretty fluent with signs I use all the time like YOUR BOTHER YOU HIT, WHY? NO! WRONG WRONG WRONG! TELL-TO-HIM SORRY!

:D

Reason:

Deaf person goes "Yeah"

I've posted this before.

Love that reasoning!

Reason:

Deaf person goes "Yeah"

I've posted this before.

agree with jill, that's an excellent one i shall try remember this one :cheers:

ps was it you who had the 20 yo PVW ? if yes then nice one btw , got a 18 yo Yamazaki , a 23yo Ron Zacapa, and a 21 Bushmills arrive at some point...

Back