books for learning asl/ culture

Meghan123

Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Meghan and I am hearing. I will be going to school in the next year or two and it is my goal to major in Public Relations with a minor in deaf studies and/or american sign language. The deaf culture and language just fascinates me and it always has. When I was younger a friends mom who worked as a secretary at a school for the deaf, would teach our class signs and how to sign songs. I have been working on learning the language steadily for about 7 months now and am realizing that while I am learning ASL, I need to be studying the culture as well to ensure that I am doing things correctly. I have been searching for a couple of books, including the 3rd edition of "For hearing people only" but I am not sure which to buy so I figured who better to ask than the people who know the culture and language best. Can any of you reccomend any books and/ or videos that will help me learn ASL properly and learn more about the culture? Thank you in advanced!

thank you guys tons! I have been searching amazon.com and taking a look around. The ones I was going to buy were A Journey Into the Deaf-World - Harlan Lane, Deaf Child Crossing - Marlee Matlin, and Inside Deaf Culture - Carol A. Padden. Do you guys know anything about these?

Hello you search find book I will more search find information!

Also read I'll Scream Later the autobiography of Marlee Matlin, it will teach you just a little bit about deaf culture and what a real actress had to go through in life. I really enjoyed it.

I read Inside Deaf Culture for my senior project and was not impressed. It was more a history of Deaf education and discrimination more than the culture itself (granted, this could also be because I hate history in general). I like Open Your Eyes: Deaf Studies Talking by H-Dirksen L. Bauman. :)

You might want to get books by Harlan Lane from the library before you buy them. I found him to be a very wordy author and could not get past the first two chapters. He either never seemed to make his point or he made the same point many times. Other people I have talked to enjoyed his books so it is probably a personal thing.

Face with Deaf World by J. R. Hutto

It is about culture with deaf

Back