Bodyworn vs. BTE

Isaacsmom

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I had a question... On tuesday we went to pick up Isaac's equipment for his CI. When we initially were given the choice between the bodyworn and BTE we chose one of each although the Director of the Audiology department at CHOP tried to push us into getting 2 bodyworns. ( I think it is b/c they just came out with them at the Cochlear corp. for the Freedom model). When we got home, we tried them on Isaac and found that the bodyworn seems very cumbersome for him. For example the processor kept getting caught on stuff and pulling the magnet and earpiece off his head. We then tried the BTE and although it was bigger on his ear, he didn't seem to mind it. He has pretty strong ears. My question is, what are the benefits of the bodyworn? We were thinking of trading it in for another BTE. Parents of children with CI's, what did you choose and how is it working out? Please let me know. Isaac gets turned on October 20th. We want to give our decision then. Thanks!

Good question. I can't wait to see the answers. How is your son doing? Activation day is getting closer, you must be so excited.

I used to have a body processor...I had to run the cord under my shirt so that nothing would damage the cord. The body processor was very cumbersome--didn't like it!

I think a BTE would be a good option--plus, the BTEs are easier to put on in the mornings (no belt--just attach to the head!), which makes those early morning conservations easier.

Fragmenter and his wife decided on the BTE for their son (he's 5) and he seems to be doing well with it. I'll just sit back and let Fragmenter tell you himself.

Hi, Isaacsmom!

We also ordered both a BTE and a Body Worn. Toes is a peanut and I don't think the BTE is going to be able to sit on her ear for quite awhile.

But as soon as that BTE fits on the ear, we are making the switch.

Our audiologist suggested one of each.

That is great that you have the equipment already! We won't see ours until activation day.

6 more days!!! I can't wait to compare notes. :dance2:

Hi Isaacsmom, I'm not sure if the Freedom is similar to the Nucleus 24 which is what my daughter has but we went with the bodyworn first until Kayla was able to tell us that the batteries were dead or that it wasnt working. You can see all that on the screen of the bodyworn, where as on the BTE it's a guessing game until Isaac can tell you that something is wrong. Again i'm not sure if they are alike in that way but if they are getting the bodyworn first definately made things easier when there is a problem.

Im confused with this question? When Lilly was activated (1 year oago), with the freedom, the kit came with 2 processors. The kit had come with the capability of converting either processor to BTE or bodyworn. All you have to do if being worn BTE and you want to convert it to body worn is remove the BTE batterypack, connect the bodyworn cable the the processor then the battery pack. The whole process takes abou ttwo minutes. Did they change anything?
When we went through the activation, her body worn unit was not realeased yet. So we had to make due with the BTE. Fortunately, the body worn came in a week later. Is the body worn unit and cable FDA approved yet? At the time of Lillys activation, they were not approved. We were/are involved in the field study of the equipment.
Back on topic.
if he is under 5 years old, I would not use it as BTE. If it falls off, there is not really anything keeping it secured to his body. If it falls off and gets lost, you are out alot of money. And trust me, it will fall off several times a day. When body worn and it falls off (coil and processor), it stays connected to her by the cable.
Advice for the body worn, do not use the harness that came with it. It is too much of a pain in the ass, and the cable is exposed over the clothes. That is probably why it kept getting caught on things.
We came up with a pretty good way to carry the body worn device. We made a small pouch to put the body worn in. Make very sure that the pouch is narrow enough to prevent the unti from laying on its side. If it does, it will force a bend in the cable just above the plug into the batt.pack. this will cause the cable to fail. The wires in the cable will break. Keep the pouch narrow. Sew a velcro closer on the top of the pouch. Also sew 1 side of velcro to the back of the pouch. Then sew the other side of the velcro to the back of several under shirts and shirts that he wears alot.
By doing all of this, you will have a puch that you can interchange with several shirts, and is alot easier than messing with the harness. It will also add a layer of protection for the battery pack. It will also conceal the pack so other little kids will not be tempted to mess with the pack or cable. Trust me, you do not want to replace the cable when they break, they cost over $200.
Sorry so long, but I have had a year to mess with the whole battery pack and cable stuff.
Another bit of advice, I noticed you referred to ordering two processors. I would suggest using only one and holding on to the other as a back up. If you want to change from body worn to BTE, just do it on the one processor. If the plastic seal on the other processor is broken, you will not be able to exchange it for the next model that cochlear releases. Try to use the other as a last case resort. We keep the extra in my fire proof gun safe, which is bolted to the basement wall and floor in my basement.
If you would like pictures of the whole battery pack pouch velcro thing I described, please let me know.

Another vaild point made by kayla. When the freedom is worn as body worn, there is a little red L.E.D. light that blinks just above the ear peice (on the clear plastic hook). This fblinks very fast to show you that everything is working correctly. There is also a display on the body worn that shows you the life of the batteries, and it shows trouble codes if anything is wrong. Lilly is not old enough to tell me if the CI doesnt sound right, if there is a problem, or the batteries are dead.
When you wear it as BTE, none of these things are used. If there is a problem, it is up to the wearer to notice it and say something abou it.

Advice for the body worn, do not use the harness that came with it. It is too much of a pain in the ass, and the cable is exposed over the clothes. That is probably why it kept getting caught on things.
We came up with a pretty good way to carry the body worn device. We made a small pouch to put the body worn in.
I think that most people don't like the coachlear harness. There ARE harnesses out there that work better.
You really gotta experiment. I do remember off the top of my head, that some people do say that the body worn seems to be "louder and clearer".....The body worn also might be more durable for toddlers.

Use the BTE and put in on like this.
Lotte has never had a problem wearing them (bi-lateral).
Note the BTE's in little bags on the back. She has them on both sides.

Here's another view of the bags with BTE's on her schoulders...
Lotte%20-%20afgewend%20detail.jpg

Im confused with this question? When Lilly was activated (1 year oago), with the freedom, the kit came with 2 processors. The kit had come with the capability of converting either processor to BTE or bodyworn. All you have to do if being worn BTE and you want to convert it to body worn is remove the BTE batterypack, connect the bodyworn cable the the processor then the battery pack. The whole process takes abou ttwo minutes. Did they change anything?

I'm not sure if they changed things, but there is a separate earpiece for the bodyworn and BTE. The bodyworn earpiece is smaller and doesn't have the light on that blinks when it picks up sound. The BTE is heavier and does not connect to the bodyworn processor because it has the processor already on it. I'd show you, in a pic, but Isaac is at his grandma's house and she has the equipment.

The harness that they gave us is terrible for the bodyworn. I think it is meant to hook onto a belt loop. It actually looks kind of cool like a mini Ipod. The harness is actually a leather case (like a cell phone case) that hooks onto a clip that goes onto a belt loop or pants. It gets caught on everything when Isaac moves around, even if we put the cord under his shirt. The clip is terrible because it falls off so much and pulls the coil off Isaac's head....so there goes the earpiece too.

Lilly's Dad, I would like to see the velcro pack you guys created. My mom is trying to help me figure something out. I like the idea of sewing pockets onto onesies (it helps that it is winter time soon...time for layers), but I think it would be less work to only make one pouch that I can use with every outfit, not making a bunch of pockets.

Use the BTE and put in on like this.
Lotte has never had a problem wearing them (bi-lateral).

Cloggy,
Did you have to order a longer cable from the coil to the BTE? The cable we have is much shorter and is not long enough to reach from the coil to Isaac's shoulder.

Cloggy,
Did you have to order a longer cable from the coil to the BTE? The cable we have is much shorter and is not long enough to reach from the coil to Isaac's shoulder.
Yep, the cable is the longest available. I believe 60cm (24")

Believe me... It's a walk in the park compared to the bodyworn system or hanging it on the ears...

Plus, I believe that her sense of direction is better because the "ears" are even further apart!

Try it... it's worth it.
In the beginning I used clipped-off fingers of gloves. Now we actually get them from the company that distributed Freedom.

I like the pouch idea, too.

My MIL is a fabulous seamstress and I know she would love to create something for Toes to help with her CI.

The GParents feel so left out at times.

My MIL is a fabulous seamstress and I know she would love to create something for Toes to help with her CI.

The GParents feel so left out at times.

I can't sew to save my life... I'll find someone to make one for us when we are ready. I think my MIL can sew too, she will feel needed if I ask.

My MIL is a fabulous seamstress and I know she would love to create something for Toes to help with her CI. .................
Make some pictures... I might want to order some....

But like I said... A cut-off finger (from a glove!) will do the trick..

Make some pictures... I might want to order some....

But like I said... A cut-off finger (from a glove!) will do the trick..

That's an even better idea!! If everyone wants one, she won't feel left out.

Cloggy - your ideas are good too. I like how you put the BTE on her back.

I really like the idea of a BTE on the back. I know with the medical assistance, they cover the initial cost of the CI for us, but another of my concerns is that later when Isaac wants just a BTE, we will still have a bodyworn processor and I don't think the trade in value of the bodyworn will cover all the cost of a BTE. We are going to see about getting a longer cable from the cord to the BTE so we can do what Cloggy did. I think it will work out better for Isaac.

BTW... found a discussion (and pictures) in my "blog" on AllDeaf... here

Just created a new Blog .... Welcome

Last edited:
Back