Bluffing...

I do it a lot. Like my mom's boyfriend just doesnt grasp that fact that I cant hear him, yet he wants to start this huge conversation. I've got to the point that I dont even try with him anymore. I can read lips pretty well but he has a mustache so its like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........dude I cant understand you"

I vote you shave his mustache in his sleep!! teehee Ya my moms boyfriend has one as well with an accent to go with it but he has trimmed it upon my request,didn't help too much but it was nice. My mom on the other hand still hasn't grasped my hearing loss and insists I don't wear my HA's in public with her, and refuses to look at me when she talks (to be honest I don't really mind, never enjoyed talking to my mother:giggle:)

Options:
1) Stop pretending.
2) Interrupt every time you get lost asking for clarification. "Im sorry, what?"
3) Don't even bother "listening" anymore. You can just zone out. And if they ask you why you weren't paying attention, state that if you did, you still wouldn't get everything anyway. So why work hard for so little?

Why should she apologize? She has nothing to be sorry for. I understand that it's polite but it irritates me when people apologize when they did nothing wrong- especially this.

Last night, a hard of hearing friend came over. I bluffed my way through 80% of her conversation. I'd catch a word there or there and then say "Oh yeah, Montana... Keep going." She barely signed.

Ive been bluffing for years... never even realized how bad i did it till recently. I think i just get tired of telling every single person that I don't understand what they are saying to repeat there selves.. I lip read too.. and it can get very mentally tiring by the end of the day... I got pulled a while back by a Hispanic police officer with a mustache.. it was totally crazy trying to understand what he said... when my son was younger when he wanted something he would just talk real fast... i would only get half of what he was saying and he usually got what he wanted then i would always find out later that If i would have known what he really wanted he wouldn't have gotten it. he got away with alot of stuff doing that...

Why should she apologize? She has nothing to be sorry for. I understand that it's polite but it irritates me when people apologize when they did nothing wrong- especially this.

I agree, but I do apologize but not really because I don't understand them its more apologizing because i feel stupid... does that make sense?

I agree, but I do apologize but not really because I don't understand them its more apologizing because i feel stupid... does that make sense?

yeah it does. and i do it too, sometimes, without thinking. i just apologize automatically. like when i sneeze while somebody's talking to me. i apologize and ask them to continue. lol wtf why should i be sorry? i couldn't help sneezing! :giggle:

Hearing people thinks that we deafies are very good at lipreading! :lol:

But really we're master at bluffing. We should be poker players!

Some of us are. ;)

Had one all-deaf poker tournament at my place. Deaf guy says he plays poker all the time with hearing and he's pretty good at picking out who's bluffing and whatnot. Then goes on to say, 'you guys are pretty honest. not a whole lot of bluffing.'

Needless to say, the league which I play in and hosted for that day have a impressive group of avid poker players. National champions and whathaveyou. Bluffing extraordinaires. :) I chuckled a bit to myself when he said that.

Although I don't lie, I am guilty of bluffing, do it all the time. So I am deep in - hook, line and sinker :-D After reading this thread, I noticed a lot where I'd respond as if I heard everything, setting myself up for continual embarrassment or continual repetition of what was being said. It is more of a habit than a deliberation. Should reverse it and not respond at all. He he.

Some of us are. ;)

Had one all-deaf poker tournament at my place. Deaf guy says he plays poker all the time with hearing and he's pretty good at picking out who's bluffing and whatnot. Then goes on to say, 'you guys are pretty honest. not a whole lot of bluffing.'

Needless to say, the league which I play in and hosted for that day have a impressive group of avid poker players. National champions and whathaveyou. Bluffing extraordinaires. :) I chuckled a bit to myself when he said that.

Thats it, I'm learning to play poker!! :giggle: I need to put my good bluffing to use... I'm damn good at go fish, is poker anything like go fish teehee

we all do it. I hate saying "what" all the time. the flow of converstation goes no where. If I bluff.. I'll catch up eventually by taking bits and pieces and figure out what they are talking about. but hey, if a hearing person what to change his communication method style for me, great! better than saying "never mind".

Me 29 or is the count at 31 now. :giggle:

I most often will laugh when hearies laugh because sometimes I don't quite understand what the joke was. If I don't laugh it is noticed more than if I do. Then they'll say, "Didn't you get the joke?"

Iam not tuning out, I'm trying really really hard to understand the conversation but its like some of the words aren't there and I get stuck on one and miss all the others, and instead of saying I cant hear you can you speak clearer or repeat everything you just said I say uh uh... ya... oh I see.

OMG! That is *exactly* what happens to me. I try to interpret a word in my head because I am stuck on it and I miss the rest of the conversation.

I've been told that ALL deaf get tinnitus-some degree of it anyways...I get it a little bit, but not so often that it annoys me. My oldest sister, who started losing her hearing as a teenager and now wears 2 HA's gets it really, really badly and it annoys her soo much.

AuslanGirl :)

Every time I have ringing in my ears I ask hearies if they can hear it. :laugh2: They say, "No.":giggle:

I vote you shave his mustache in his sleep!! teehee Ya my moms boyfriend has one as well with an accent to go with it but he has trimmed it upon my request,didn't help too much but it was nice. My mom on the other hand still hasn't grasped my hearing loss and insists I don't wear my HA's in public with her, and refuses to look at me when she talks (to be honest I don't really mind, never enjoyed talking to my mother:giggle:)

Aww, that is so sad. :hug: I know how you feel.

Back