Bluffing...

blank canvas

Reaction score
Ok so I was hanging out with a friend of mine and her bf he is hearing she is deaf with CI, well I got called out on my 'bluffing' I do this thing where someone will be talking and I miss most of what they say but I don't point it out or ask them to repeat it, I just act like I heard it or understood. She said she did the same thing and thats how he knew I was doing it because I had the same look as her when she did it. Damn and I thought I was totally slick about it...

So my question is does everyone do this, and any advice on stopping? I don't know why I do it and I really don't even think about it when I do.

we all do it. I hate saying "what" all the time. the flow of converstation goes no where. If I bluff.. I'll catch up eventually by taking bits and pieces and figure out what they are talking about. but hey, if a hearing person what to change his communication method style for me, great! better than saying "never mind".

we all do it. I hate saying "what" all the time. the flow of converstation goes no where. If I bluff.. I'll catch up eventually by taking bits and pieces and figure out what they are talking about. but hey, if a hearing person what to change his communication method style for me, great! better than saying "never mind".

Yep.

make me three. :giggle:

But is there a way to stop?!?! I feel bad especially when I'm called out on it....

Options:
1) Stop pretending.
2) Interrupt every time you get lost asking for clarification. "Im sorry, what?"
3) Don't even bother "listening" anymore. You can just zone out. And if they ask you why you weren't paying attention, state that if you did, you still wouldn't get everything anyway. So why work hard for so little?

Options:
1) Stop pretending.
2) Interrupt every time you get lost asking for clarification. "Im sorry, what?"
3) Don't even bother "listening" anymore. You can just zone out. And if they ask you why you weren't paying attention, state that if you did, you still wouldn't get everything anyway. So why work hard for so little?

lol ok point taken :giggle:

:giggle: but sometimes it happens tooooooo often.. know what its called? "tired of repeating! therefore pretending is easier". my bad!

I go through this constantly with my MIL while I am driving. She is forever talking and asking me questions and expecting me to follow along and answer her. She's worse at night while in the car. Ye Gawds!! It's just mind-blowing what she doesn't understand, even after repeatedly explaining it to her. It is getting harder and harder to read her lips, so I miss a good 90% of what she has to say. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Because I miss so much, I tend to do the "uh huh, yep, right" routine. Most times I will have a blank look on my face. Most people will understand and work with me, but not my MIL.

I do the same. It become habit with me. I nod when I don't understand without thinking about it. I don't want to say what all time and have people getting very annoyed at me and making it sounds like my fault. So it easier to pretend and they are happier.

I only say what or let them know if I don't understand to people I KNOW won't be like I said above.

I do this all the time .. It does get old to always ask "what?"

It's funny though when somebody does catch me! :) (Often it's that they ask a question and I just smile and give no answer. :lol: )

Guilty as charged! FWIW, my hearing teenager does the same thing. I think that he hears the Peanuts teacher when I talk. :giggle:

I am hearing and I do alot. So it's not just a 'deaf thing'. If people want you to be into the conversation then they should make sure you are able to understand it. IMO!
icon_3nodding.gif

I am hearing and I do alot. So it's not just a 'deaf thing'. If people want you to be into the conversation then they should make sure you are able to understand it. IMO!
icon_3nodding.gif

I never did it when I was able to hear, and now I'm worried I will agree to something I don't want to like, dress shopping with my mother something tragic like that lol

But I know saying what all the time is annoying, I annoy myself when I do it.

I never did it when I was able to hear, and now I'm worried I will agree to something I don't want to like, dress shopping with my mother something tragic like that lol

But I know saying what all the time is annoying, I annoy myself when I do it.

Thank you for this post.

All my life, people I know personally thinks I'm just being silly when I try to explain. They (hearing) brush me off and say they do it. I don't think they really understand.

My Nana used to call it my 'selective hearing'. When I was bored I would tune or zone out during conversations. I can understand about the worries. But what I am saying it's not always on the other person to make sure a conversation is understood.

Back