blu-ray player VS DVD player

I know about the inernet companies/providers putting caps. I don't see it lasting. Consumers are not going to like it, and it will hurt companies such as Microsoft. Microsoft has big plans for their downloadable movie service(HD and SD videos), and capping GB downloads hurts that market, and the gaming market, because gaming is a constant download and upload process.
If I am not mistaken the reason companies are putting a GB download cap is to try to fight pirating. IMO they're doing it wrong, and not being smart about it. If they know how much each household downloads a month, then follow up on it, not put it out on everyone else.

Pacman, Banjo. I don't see Downloadable stuff taking over DVD and Blu Ray soon. 10 years from now. Down the road, I don't see as many discs.

The quality is an issue, I see, Banjo. Interesting. Have you seen XBL Marketplace's HD movies? I am curious what you think of the 'HD' they claim to be in. Maybe watch a preview or something, since XBLM videos aren't captioned/subtitled unless you have a Windows Media Center hooked up to the 360. If you don't have a 360, ignore this, lol.

I know about the inernet companies/providers putting caps. I don't see it lasting. Consumers are not going to like it, and it will hurt companies such as Microsoft. Microsoft has big plans for their downloadable movie service(HD and SD videos), and capping GB downloads hurts that market, and the gaming market, because gaming is a constant download and upload process.
If I am not mistaken the reason companies are putting a GB download cap is to try to fight pirating. IMO they're doing it wrong, and not being smart about it. If they know how much each household downloads a month, then follow up on it, not put it out on everyone else.

Pacman, Banjo. I don't see Downloadable stuff taking over DVD and Blu Ray soon. 10 years from now. Down the road, I don't see as many discs.

The quality is an issue, I see, Banjo. Interesting. Have you seen XBL Marketplace's HD movies? I am curious what you think of the 'HD' they claim to be in. Maybe watch a preview or something, since XBLM videos aren't captioned/subtitled unless you have a Windows Media Center hooked up to the 360. If you don't have a 360, ignore this, lol.

It is likely that there may not be as many discs in the future as the co-existence of each format will cut into each other's share of the market. That's a likely possibility when downloadable movies and TV shows catch on. However, they will remain a multi-billion industry like they are now.

I don't own a Xbox 360, I don't play as much games as I used to. I do play games sometimes, I am currently playing the new GTA game on PS3. I cannot say what I think of the movies you can download off Xbox 360 because I haven't seen any. I have seen iTunes though, I would say it's more comparable to the DVD, video-quality wise. Still, not bad for a downloadable movie even though I spotted some pixel bursts and several instances of pixel blurriness. Artifacts is still a major issue though. They are worse than the DVDs.

The reason why I bought a PS3 was because of what it was capable of. Media streaming, upscaling DVD, play Blu-ray, music, photos and all that. Oh yeah, it can play games too as well, but I don't need to mention that. I know Xbox 360 is capable of doing some of these. However, it was the built-in wi-fi capabilities that did it for me. Now, I am able to stream DivX files from my computer to PS3 with subtitles using the wi-fi router. Yes, there is a way to use subtitles and it's pretty easy. You have to zip both subtitles and the video into a file ending with .divx. It's basically a video file but with subtitle tracks included. That means you can include more than just one subtitle track and select it as an option whenever you play a movie or TV show on the PS3.

I believe I already mentioned the freeware for the DivX subtitles earlier in this thread. So far, it is doing pretty good for a media centre. Apparently it is said that they will be bringing movies and TV shows to the Playstation Store soon too. But will they have captions or subtitles? Hmm, I wonder.

On a big screen, the difference is quite significant. I used to watch DVDs on a screen that is at least 100 inches wide. Once I started using Blu-ray, the difference I saw was astounding. The problem with playing DVDs on a screen of that size is the digital artifacts (noise). It's often the worst in dark scenes where you can see a lot of blocky pixels. But with Blu-ray, that's all gone now. It's clean, no blocky pixels as long they do a good job on the encoding. Plus the image is much sharper too. Also, I use a 1080p projector now, so that makes a difference. I can even see a significant difference on a 37" 720/768p HDTV.

Some people are just blind. No offense. :)

Oh, I see. I watched blu-ray on my partner's new DELL computer with LCD monitor but hard to tell if 'I, Robot" on blu ray movie and original DVD movie. You think that might be LCD monitor?.

Maybe I'm blind. I have to look at it again and again. I will get blu-ray player when it's on sale.

Why do you prefer black block closed caption?? D:

I do not care black block CC. Our two HDTV, we set up any color text or style. It is great for over the air (antenna). Soon, I will get 3rd HDTV.

As you know what I talked about DVD movie. They showed right side CC or left side CC. You know which person talked.

Blu-Ray movie does not show left side CC or right side CC. Always bottom center with yellow or white texts. Feel like old day at deaf school's dorm. They got film with english subtitle - always caption on bottom center.

Most important to clear understand better than confuse.

There's no other option, even you would struck with DVD.

Yeah, I refuse to buy blu-ray player. We hope... they will no more bottom center SDH.

Most important, we want to pleasure watch and clear understand better than confuse (bottom center SDH).

Oh, I see. I watched blu-ray on my partner's new DELL computer with LCD monitor but hard to tell if 'I, Robot" on blu ray movie and original DVD movie. You think that might be LCD monitor?.

Maybe I'm blind. I have to look at it again and again. I will get blu-ray player when it's on sale.

The bigger the screen, the better. Especially if it's in 1080p.

Yeah, I refuse to buy blu-ray player. We hope... they will no more bottom center SDH.

Most important, we want to pleasure watch and clear understand better than confuse (bottom center SDH).

I don't have that problem with SDH, I can always tell who is saying this and that. I've never had a problem with that.

Besides, there are some movies that are like that. The SDH Sony movies on Blu-ray looks a lot like the old fashioned CC with black bars and is positioned in different places all of the times.

Personally, I prefer subtitles with no background as long they have strong strokes around the subtitles. There is a reason why I don't support analog/digital CC on Blu-ray. I have said it enough times, it's because not all HDTVs and projectors are the same in how they transmit the CC signals.

With SDH, it's always right there on the disc, you don't need a decoder on the TV to use it. I'll rather be able to use it right from the disc.

What is the point of owning a HDTV if you will not utilize it?

That's something a lot of people obviously don't think about before buying a HDTV. That's why I didn't buy a HDTV until I had a HD source to hook it up to.
Exactly!

That's the problem my parents have with their HD television. They don't have anything that's HD. The only thing they have is digital cable. They're still using the same old VCR and DVD player. They're afraid to get an HD DVD or Blu-Ray player.

I don't have that problem with SDH, I can always tell who is saying this and that. I've never had a problem with that.

Besides, there are some movies that are like that. The SDH Sony movies on Blu-ray looks a lot like the old fashioned CC with black bars and is positioned in different places all of the times.

Personally, I prefer subtitles with no background as long they have strong strokes around the subtitles. There is a reason why I don't support analog/digital CC on Blu-ray. I have said it enough times, it's because not all HDTVs and projectors are the same in how they transmit the CC signals.

With SDH, it's always right there on the disc, you don't need a decoder on the TV to use it. I'll rather be able to use it right from the disc.
I'm that way too. I've always preferred that over old-fashioned captioning. I don't even have to put up with the black boxes blocking out parts of the movie. ;)

Hate to say, get a life.

You are one of fewer deaf people who are upset about SDH on BD, SDH is MORE superior and nice on HDTV when compared to DVD.

Analog CC cannot be function on digital source, also digital CC is limited to tv shows and others that's related to watch tv.

I'm favor into HD world, bye bye to SD world.

Yike, I have agree with you.

SDH looks superior to me when watch BD movies, I will planning to install BD drive on new XPS and watch on computer with no weird pixel or blurry at higher resolution.

The bigger the screen, the better. Especially if it's in 1080p.

Oh ok, his LCD monitor 19 inch.
He has sony projection 51" (2005) in living room. When we get blu ray dvd for his sony TV. see what happens.

I have read numerous times from various posts, blogs, etc on the internet that Blu Ray does not really show until you have it on a 50' or larger TV. With smaller tvs it seems to be less noticeable in quality between DVD and BD. 1080p also applies to 50' or larger.

I have read numerous times from various posts, blogs, etc on the internet that Blu Ray does not really show until you have it on a 50' or larger TV. With smaller tvs it seems to be less noticeable in quality between DVD and BD. 1080p also applies to 50' or larger.

For the average person, 50" would be when it's really noticeable. 720p or 768p will do fine on a 40" or less. It also depends on how far you sit from the TV.

Oh ok, his LCD monitor 19 inch.
He has sony projection 51" (2005) in living room. When we get blu ray dvd for his sony TV. see what happens.

19" is awfully small if you want to enjoy HD movies on it. 51" would be good.

Also BD is best for normal size of monitors with higher resolution, such as 1650 x 1080.

I do prefer to stay with DVD player.. Then why blue ray is sooooo important? Look at unemployees are increase, and economic market goes bad. anyway bold and blue ray, I would purchase the BOLD over blue ray. ROFL!

19" is awfully small if you want to enjoy HD movies on it. 51" would be good.

yeah, that's his DELL LCD monitor. when we get blu-ray player then we will watch TV sony. I'd rather wait until christmas for SALE.

I do prefer to stay with DVD player.. Then why blue ray is sooooo important? Look at unemployees are increase, and economic market goes bad. anyway bold and blue ray, I would purchase the BOLD over blue ray. ROFL!

hey, thanks for the info about BB-Bold a few days ago or so on other topic. i will buy Bold next year 2009. i want to get both BOLD and blu-ray.

you're not the only one, some others will stick with DVD player.

i think DVD player is going to stay in business. but will see what happens with blu-ray.

For now, I'll carry on using current DVD player until it dies. (had the same DVD player since 2001) I don't have that many DVDs.

As for Blu-ray player hopefully it will be cheaper to buy in the next few years later.

Ditto!

We bought LCD TV at few years ago after long years waiting for good price. I have 2 normal TV - this is for games and watch TV at 2nd living room and LCD at 1st living room for us... :D

We own DVD player (for boys) and DVD/VHS recorder for ourselves. We are happy with them... We own a lot of VHS with subtitles and also DVD as well. Why should we give all up when we are happy to own them?

Back