BlackBerry as Modem for Laptop

Q answered: BB as modem w/Purple

Sent more emails to Purple info people. Now they say that BB can be used as modem 4 Purple netbk. So I sent 4 netbk w/fingers crossed. Any one have success w/BB Curve as modem w/Purple netbk?

I thought I could use BB Curve as modem for Purple Netbook. But a Purple info person sent me email telling me I cannot use the BB Curve w/purple netbook.

Does this make sense? If the BB Curve works as modem for laptop, why not Purple Netbook? :hmm:

I was going to buy the netbook, but if I cant use the BB as modem, the netbook is a bad idea.

They're talking bull!! They should think twice that Deafie want to use BB as phone as modem on Purple Netbook!! Trust me.. You can try download Sprintspeed software and Bingo!! It works!!

Same thing what I did few years ago that I asked Sorenson if I can use Wireless Gaming adapter for VP100. They said it's impossible and you can't do it. So I experimented it and it works successfully. Actually not every Tech support know everything. Sometime if they don't know how to answer the question, they simply said "no you can't".

So Just go ahead and order Purple Netbook and install Sprintspeed software for BB Curve.

But the problem is that you can't use videochat using BB Curve as modem. Because of its dial-up speed is too low. BB only can go average 325kpbs download and 90kpbs upload or lower in both way. If actually using, it'll go lower than that..

Once you are using it, you'll dislike video speed. Also using videochat through Curve's Phone As Modem would eat up "unlimited" data to 5GB cap and will end up charging. It's very much akin to watching Youtube often on laptop while Curve as PAM

MY friend was planning on ordering Purple Netbook. He asked me same question. I told him it'll works just fine. I gave him a demo how to use BB Curve PAM on Laptop.

It is same goes for Netbook cuz Netbook's cofiguration and OS are basically the same as Notebook!! No difference. It works with very old laptop as well the newest laptop.

Trust me, ignore Purple tech support. Cuz once you get Purple Netbook, They can't ask you what you installed. If you have to return Netbook for service, Just delete Sprintspeed software or better, reformat Netbook OS using external USB CDrom drive if you know how :rofl:

Catty

Sent more emails to Purple info people. Now they say that BB can be used as modem 4 Purple netbk. So I sent 4 netbk w/fingers crossed. Any one have success w/BB Curve as modem w/Purple netbk?

:rofl2: It'll work, trust me!

Catty

ANY laptop such as these purple netbook WILL work regardless. There are no restrictions in the Purple Netbook, they mentioned in the instructions if you want to 'return' and they ask us to remove all these ncessary items before returning so they are bullshitting their customers like PurpleCatty said

Thank you! Your support and consideration means a great deal to me. I got the purple netbook but it is still in the box. Why? I got email from Purple Communications. They told me: "It has come to Purple Communications attention that the Purple Netbook is vulnerable for being infected with a virus or malware." The email told me to download a free antivirus software called Malwarebytes. I checked the Malwarebytes website and you can get a short version for free, but the good version is not free. So I sent the Purple folks a question: I can get McAfee for free from a university. Can I use McAfee instead of Malwarebytes? They sent an answer that looked like they did not understand me. The answer told me not to use Macfree. But I did not ask about Macfree, I asked about McAfee. So I asked again and got the same answer. They still think I asked about Macfree. They told me Macfree antivirus software will block P3 functions. But what about McAfee? I cannot get an answer about McAfee.

PS: Would I be better off if I sent back the purple netbook and just buy a netbook at a store and download the free P3 software? If this is a good idea, can anyone tell me: What is the best netbook out there that I can buy at a store where the people working there are helpful when something goes wrong?

Last edited:
Thank you! Your support and consideration means a great deal to me. I got the purple netbook but it is still in the box. Why? I got email from Purple Communications. They told me: "It has come to Purple Communications attention that the Purple Netbook is vulnerable for being infected with a virus or malware." The email told me to download a free antivirus software called Malwarebytes. I checked the Malwarebytes website and you can get a short version for free, but the good version is not free. So I sent the Purple folks a question: I can get McAfee for free from a university. Can I use McAfee instead of Malwarebytes? They sent an answer that looked like they did not understand me. The answer told me not to use Macfree. But I did not ask about Macfree, I asked about McAfee. So I asked again and got the same answer. They still think I asked about Macfree. They told me Macfree antivirus software will block P3 functions. But what about McAfee? I cannot get an answer about McAfee.

PS: Would I be better off if I sent back the purple netbook and just buy a netbook at a store and download the free P3 software? If this is a good idea, can anyone tell me: What is the best netbook out there that I can buy at a store where the people working there are helpful when something goes wrong?

I know about Malwarebytes software on P3 netbook. I work for purple but I unfavored it. So I had purchased new ASUS 1005HAB netbook at $299 from Best Buy. It includes 160 GB hard drive and 1.3M webcam. It s better than P3 netbook. I download Norton Internet Security into it. If you may buy other netbook or keep your P3 netbook, either, you may down free download AVG internet security software in it.
AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP

Purple Malware

Thank you! Is the free AVG security better than free McAfee security? I can get McAfee free at a local university. But if you think that AVG is better, I will go for the AVG. I appreciate your help. I am going to get rid of the purple netbook and buy the ASUS that you have. (PS: This frustration has inspired me! I registered for a computer class starting in September. I really need to get rid of my ignorance)

Thank you! Is the free AVG security better than free McAfee security? I can get McAfee free at a local university. But if you think that AVG is better, I will go for the AVG. I appreciate your help. I am going to get rid of the purple netbook and buy the ASUS that you have. (PS: This frustration has inspired me! I registered for a computer class starting in September. I really need to get rid of my ignorance)

Try Avira free Antivirus. They're more effective than AVG!
Try this :

Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir

They do have pop up ads but it only happens when it's updating the file from network. Just click "OK" or cancel the window, it won't bother you for rest of the day until next update. It caught Trojans and other virus and quarantined it.

Catty

I personally hate McAffee cuz it is not effective in blocking Trojans. I had McAffee, no matter if how good it blocks. It just let virus in somehow and screw the pc. My friends had same problems.

Catty

Does anyone here have experience with using a BB 8300 tether, thru Tmobile service? I inquired at the local service desk at Tmobile and they told me it was difficult and cost prohibitive. I would like to use it when traveling but I'm afraid of the $$$$$$ charges.

I did it!

I tethered my BB to my laptop today, and it worked! I was able to use the internet. :P

:ty: to Foxrac for providing me with instructions from crackberry.

I did it!

I tethered my BB to my laptop today, and it worked! I was able to use the internet. :P

:ty: to Foxrac for providing me with instructions from crackberry.

Your welcome. :)

Remember, this member live in Canada and many wireless carriers in Canada isn't cheap for tethering plan.
Actually, it's a bargain (cheaper than USA) if you get the 6 gigabyte plan for $30 per month by Rogers Canada.

It is a special promotion plan, that often happens near iPhone launches. The iPhone 3GS just launched not too long ago, so grab the new plan as soon as you can!

I have that on my BlackBerry and I use my BlackBerry Bold as a modem for my laptop.

Actually, it's a bargain (cheaper than USA) if you get the 6 gigabyte plan for $30 per month by Rogers Canada.

It is a special promotion plan, that often happens near iPhone launches. The iPhone 3GS just launched not too long ago, so grab the new plan as soon as you can!

I have that on my BlackBerry and I use my BlackBerry Bold as a modem for my laptop.

Check this out Foxtrac! Canada do offer data plan cheap for PAM!

:giggle:

Catty

Check this out Foxtrac! Canada do offer data plan cheap for PAM!

:giggle:

Catty

I have checked Rogers and you don't have valid proof about 6 GB tethering for just $30 per month, however I had seen all plans from Rogers are more pricey than US carriers, you need check before you make misled.

Catty, you don't make any sense then go check Rogers website by yourself.

Short answer is no.

I have checked Rogers and you don't have valid proof about 6 GB tethering for just $30 per month, however I had seen all plans from Rogers are more pricey than US carriers, you need check before you make misled.

Short answer is no.

No problem. I'd be happy to check but although, I'm USA citizen.

Catty

Short answer is no.

I am sorry to tell you that you got it wrong.

I have been a Rogers customer for more than nine years and I have used it sometimes.

Back