BlackBerry as Modem for Laptop

Jant

Reaction score
BlackBerry Curve as modem with laptop? Can I get by w/out having to pay for internet access for the laptop? Sounds like a great deal to combine cell and laptop costs, but will it work?

lol we should have a sticky thread for this kind of thing :lol:

in most cases yes. If you have data plan on your pager, and you install your carrier pam software from cd or download from your carrier website on your windows machine. Its much easier for you to call your internet provider and ask them this question as they can help you faster. Just don't expect your pc to be as fast as your high speed cable/dsl. It works and i use it when i am on the road or if my isp goes down from the storm or something.

Blackberry as modem

I checked out the Sprint "data only" plan w/BlackBerry Curve. But hesitant to commit to 2-yr plan if it won't work good as a modem. Alternative: Just get "air card" for laptop and not bother w/phone. But "air card" about $60. monthly. Blackberry about $40. monthly. Not sure what to do. (I am ignorant about technology.)

I will get my new Blackberry Storm this Tuesday evening. I will be able to hook it up with my laptop thru its provided software. It can work in either Windows or Mac.

Blackberry Curve vs Storm

Is the Storm better than the Curve?

*sigh* :roll: I already posted one on my thread couple of time. It was for Linux and also Bluetooth connection (to turn it into modem without using USB tethering).

Actually, If you use XP or Vista, Download Sprintspeed software from Sprint (just google "Sprintspeed" for Blackberry) and Install the software. Plug in USB cable to Laptop and to Blackberry. Then run Sprintspeed and click "Dial up" and click "Connect".. Typically, it'll download between 325kpbs to 450kpbs and Upload between 90kpbs to 120kpbs (Sprint claim it can go up to 600kpbs but it doesn't happen). It varies on signal strength and location if it have EVDO (CDMA) signals around. Don't expect to see your browser load up as fast as your Cable broadband or DSL broadband... But if you are using Blackberry Storm, you're using 3G network which is much faster. Remember it's only Cellular dial up speed.

I've used that many times and it's worth it IF you are just browsing nets. Don't freak out about Sprint's Blackberry plan.. Cuz you don't need to get Aircard when you want BB to text, AIM, Email and browse net on BB's browser if not using Phone As Modem (PAM).

I've used Bluetooth tethering many times and it works nicely and DON'T NEED to download and install Sprintspeed software. So if you're good with Bluetooth, Any laptops that have Bluetooth built-in or using Bluetooth dongle would work. Be sure the dial up is #777 and no user name or email and no password. Just set it up by adding #777 and you're in. It save all hassle if you forgot or dislike carrying USB tether cable.

Lastly, Even though it's UNLIMITED use. What Cellular co do not tell you (like Sprint, Verizon, ect) are that there are ACTUALLY 5GB usage Cap. So Don't watch Youtube video often while using BB Curve as modem tethered to laptop or desktop PC. Just browse net, use Google map (any online map like Mapquest, Yahoo map would do too), Send and Receive Web Email, and check out Facebook ect but avoid using Streaming video. (Flashplayer or Java video ads are not a problem).. I have been using alot and I allocated 100mb to 500mb a month which seem alot of use per month which is plenty of room. If you want to know about your usage, just type www.sprint.com and log in your account and click "Usage" and you should see "Data Usage". You'll find out it's not reach to its limit.

Same goes for Aircard, makes no differnce..

Any Questions
Let me know

Catty :cool:

Last edited:
Is the Storm better than the Curve?

You'll have to ask Sprintrelay.com sale technician to see if BB Storm will have same Data plan as BB Curve. Remember that Storm use 3G network while Curve use EVDO (CDMA) network. Which is why the Data plan may not be the same.

It makes no difference if you are using Storm and Curve cuz the OS basically the same even it's touchscreen or not (if you are navigating the menu ect). But the big advantage for Storm is that it have bigger video screen if you know how to transfer converted DVD movie to BB Storm. Also Storm works with Sorenson's Signmail directly from download to watch signed answering machine. The disadvantage is that Storm require frequent screen cleaning because your finger smears the screen while typing if you recently ate chocolate or sticky candy, ate greasy food ect.. It sucks big time if you don't have anything to clean its screen.

So, If Sprintrelay.com sale technician say that it for Curve only, then stick with Curve to save your $$. $30 a month Unlimited Data plan is really worth it. I've had BB Curve for a year now and never had issue with it. I added $7 for insurance in case if my BB Curve breaks or got stolen. So It won't hurt to add Insurance so you won't have to worry about buying replacement BB Curve.

My friend who have HTC phone from Sprint and he didn't have $30 Unlimited Data plan cuz he was using Family plan. He got stuck with text only and can't use it to check Email, browse web ect (anything with Data plan). He regretted about it and felt it's waste of his money cuz he waited too long to return HTC phone... So don't get stuck with that. You'll end up drooling over other deafie's BB that have $30 Unlimited Data plan on their BB phone. (Youtube video is included in BB Curve! I've watched it many time but video is small and grainy). BB Curve have GPS built in that you can locate where you are at (I downloaded and installed Google Map for Blackberry via OTA {On The Air} download and it's free including Satellite view plus Street View which is far better than BB's Map). Don't use "Sprint Navigator" that came with Cuve, If you decide to use it, it'll charge $10 monthly extra. So Be careful. It does have SprintTV. I did use it but don't use "Preminuim" channels cuz it'll charge if using it. (tan color bar is "free", Blue colored bar is "fee base").

Catty

You'll have to ask Sprintrelay.com sale technician to see if BB Storm will have same Data plan as BB Curve. Remember that Storm use 3G network while Curve use EVDO (CDMA) network. Which is why the Data plan may not be the same.

It makes no difference if you are using Storm and Curve cuz the OS basically the same even it's touchscreen or not (if you are navigating the menu ect). But the big advantage for Storm is that it have bigger video screen if you know how to transfer converted DVD movie to BB Storm. Also Storm works with Sorenson's Signmail directly from download to watch signed answering machine.

So, If Sprintrelay.com sale technician say that it for Curve only, then stick with Curve to save your $$. $30 a month Unlimited Data plan is really worth it. I've had BB Curve for a year now and never had issue with it. I added $7 for insurance in case if my BB Curve breaks or got stolen. So It won't hurt to add Insurance so you won't have to worry about buying replacement BB Curve.

My friend who have HTC phone from Sprint and he didn't have $30 Unlimited Data plan cuz he was using Family plan. He got stuck with text only and can't use it to check Email, browse web ect (anything with Data plan). He regretted about it and felt it's waste of his money cuz he waited too long to return HTC phone... So don't get stuck with that. You'll end up drooling over other deafie's BB that have $30 Unlimited Data plan on their BB phone. (Youtube video is included in BB Curve! I've watched it many time but video is small and grainy). BB Curve have GPS built in that you can locate where you are at (I downloaded and installed Google Map for Blackberry via OTA {On The Air} download and it's free including Satellite view plus Street View which is far better than BB's Map). Don't use "Sprint Navigator" that came with Cuve, If you decide to use it, it'll charge $10 monthly extra. So Be careful. It does have SprintTV. I did use it but don't use "Preminuim" channels cuz it'll charge if using it. (tan color bar is "free", Blue colored bar is "fee base").

Catty

Both of Storm (9530) and Curve (8330) are use EVDO, that's part of 3G family.

You can't use data plan from Sprint relay for Storm since they are exclusive to Verizon and part of unlock phone if use on Sprint but you have full pay on data only, such as over $50 per month.

You need research more before start assume.

Remember, I'm Verizon user, don't assume if I use Sprint like you said before. :roll:

Both of Storm (9530) and Curve (8330) are use EVDO, that's part of 3G family.

You can't use data plan from Sprint relay for Storm since they are exclusive to Verizon and part of unlock phone if use on Sprint but you have full pay on data only, such as over $50 per month.

You need research more before start assume.

Remember, I'm Verizon user, don't assume if I use Sprint like you said before. :roll:

Yup. I know Sprint don't have Storm. That's only if Jant want to use Unlocked Storm. :giggle:

Catty

Tk U Catty!

Thank you so much! I feel silly about my ignorance. But I am new to this stuff. Appreciate very much your time!

i've heard stories of people that used their cell phones, iphone, or blackberry as a modem and got a bill of $5,000. are you sure people are able to use their cell phones as modems for free?

i've heard stories of people that used their cell phones, iphone, or blackberry as a modem and got a bill of $5,000. are you sure people are able to use their cell phones as modems for free?

yes but it's because they used it too much by downloading music, heavy files, etc. It's supposed to be for light use such as light internet surfing and emails.

hmm, i have only 500MB on my bb (rogers wireless) so i don't think i would be able to use it since i already use it so much away from home.

hmm, i have only 500MB on my bb (rogers wireless) so i don't think i would be able to use it since i already use it so much away from home.

500mb is cute :roll: . I've used that much in a month. Like I mentioned above post, 5GB cap is what Cellular co set. Just like Jiro say above my post, people use it assuming that it's unlimited when they downloaded big files like Music, movies, ect. The reason why Cellular co impose 5GB limit is because they don't want to anyone to bog down Cellular network. I wish they change from "Unlimited" to "5GB" so customers will know how much before they go over. But the politics of Cellular co is that they want to trick uninformed customers so they can make $$$ unless customer fights back cuz it's their first time.

Basically, if you want to be sure that you don't go over, you just log in your Roger.com account and check Data Usage so that you'll know how much you use in a month if you worry about charges.

Does your Roger offer Unlimited Data plan? If so then find out what is their Data cap limit so you won't go over.

Catty

500mb is cute :roll: . I've used that much in a month. Like I mentioned above post, 5GB cap is what Cellular co set. Just like Jiro say above my post, people use it assuming that it's unlimited when they downloaded big files like Music, movies, ect. The reason why Cellular co impose 5GB limit is because they don't want to anyone to bog down Cellular network. I wish they change from "Unlimited" to "5GB" so customers will know how much before they go over. But the politics of Cellular co is that they want to trick uninformed customers so they can make $$$ unless customer fights back cuz it's their first time.

Basically, if you want to be sure that you don't go over, you just log in your Roger.com account and check Data Usage so that you'll know how much you use in a month if you worry about charges.

Does your Roger offer Unlimited Data plan? If so then find out what is their Data cap limit so you won't go over.

Catty

Remember, this member live in Canada and many wireless carriers in Canada isn't cheap for tethering plan.

Remember, this member live in Canada and many wireless carriers in Canada isn't cheap for tethering plan.

On bottom of post, I asked Lemontree:

"Does your Roger offer Unlimited Data plan? If so then find out what is their Data cap limit so you won't go over."

Just want to know what is her reply.

Catty

BB Curve as modem for Purple Netbook

I thought I could use BB Curve as modem for Purple Netbook. But a Purple info person sent me email telling me I cannot use the BB Curve w/purple netbook.

Does this make sense? If the BB Curve works as modem for laptop, why not Purple Netbook? :hmm:

I was going to buy the netbook, but if I cant use the BB as modem, the netbook is a bad idea.

Back