BlackBerry 8700g vs Sidekick 3

BlackBerry 8700g is more faster and better than before, but someone told me the monthly price will be up and down... I wasnt sure abt this, so I will ask one of my friend who own BlackBerry 8700g, so lets see...

You are wrong about this. It is same monthly price as sidekick 3.

After visiting Gallaudet this past weekend, I realized that I had to drop my Luddite persona, ASAP! :)

I folded like a cheap suit and went for a BlackBerry 8700g through DeafPagers.com. The provider will be T-Mobile and I'm on the unlimited data plan ($30/mo), w/ no voice minutes.

I did take a look at the SideKick III closely, but the camera was a factor against it. More and more places are banning cameras. I was never a camera enthusiast, my vlogs notwithstanding. Moreover, the SK is viewed as a teenager's toy. Unfair or not, I felt I needed to project a 'professional' image, and marketing is one tool in a legal professional's arsenal!

However, the SK3 does have one good thing going for it; the IM client. The BB 8700g should address this shortcoming through third party clients, though. Also, if the BB OS update comes through, the unit should have BB Maps support, like the Pearl does.

It doesn't hurt that the BB 8700g is lighter and smaller than the SK3. The SK3's width does have the BB 8700g beat, though. And then there's the alarm vibrate function of the 8700g. (I suspect the SK3 does have a similar function, no?)

I did see the leaked information about BB's next messaging pager, the BB 8800 (Indigo/Crimson), to be released sometime in 2007. There's a couple of neat features about the next generation BB units; They will have memory card support and have WiFi. However, I felt I wanted a pager now, and didn't feel like waiting, and then paying through the nose for one.

Upgraded my Sk1 to Blackberry 8700g last week. I totally love the 8700g. It totally rocks!!! The factor for getting the 8700g over the SK3 is the quality of the product-no filmsy flip screen, better screen resolution, longer battery life, capability of downloading software applications (there are tons of 'em). I was able to get the 8700g for $99.99 after rebates from deafpagers.com There arent any Sk3 going for $99.99. Even if the Sk3 was $99.99, I would rather get the 8700g.

USEFUL FEATURES:
RAMBLE IM-used for AOL IM
GOOGLE MAP-great for finding addresses or directions on mobile phones
Blackberry IP-Relay-very user friendly
Up to 10 email accounts to be delivered to 8700g
Great web browser-4x faster than SK3 (on T-Mobile EDGE coverage)
Smaller QWERTY-great for one hand typing or somebody with use of only one hand. It'll take about a day or 2 to get used to the smaller keyboard.

CONS:
NO Camera- WHO CARES!!! I have a 5MP digital camera that does a better job of taking pictures than a phone camera.
I cannot think of any bad thing for the 8700g.

Upgraded my Sk1 to Blackberry 8700g last week. I totally love the 8700g. It totally rocks!!! The factor for getting the 8700g over the SK3 is the quality of the product-no filmsy flip screen, better screen resolution, longer battery life, capability of downloading software applications (there are tons of 'em). I was able to get the 8700g for $99.99 after rebates from deafpagers.com There arent any Sk3 going for $99.99. Even if the Sk3 was $99.99, I would rather get the 8700g.

USEFUL FEATURES:
Smaller QWERTY-great for one hand typing or somebody with use of only one hand. It'll take about a day or 2 to get used to the smaller keyboard.

CONS:
NO Camera- WHO CARES!!! I have a 5MP digital camera that does a better job of taking pictures than a phone camera.

This sentence in bold. I would NEVER get used to the smaller keyboard than the sk2/3 because I'm one of them with thumbs that are too big to type on the tiny keyboard that are closely spaced together. That's the major flaw with the blackberry devices. If the blackberry has a keyboard that's like the sk2/3 or similar then I would buy one.

USEFUL FEATURES:

CONS:

You forgot to mention that SK3 support EDGE. :roll:

Upgraded my Sk1 to Blackberry 8700g last week. I totally love the 8700g. It totally rocks!!!
Cool! I got mine a few days ago! I love it so far.
How did you get that? I tried the software developer's website and put in my email address, but I never did get a reply. Is there another website where I can d/l Ramble?
The form factor is still a little bit bigger than the Pearl, for example. I'll take a BB 8700g over a SK3 anyday, as the latter is much bigger and heavier. The keyboard still takes time getting used to, also.

The biggest drawback is, the BB does not have file system support. (I suspect the SK3 suffers from the same aliment!) Thankfully, the BB 8700g does have 64Mb of memory for application/heap usage. What I mean of lack of filesystem support is that you do not store files on the BB unit; rather, such information is stored at a server elsewhere. I would be more comfortable in knowing that my critical data is stored on the unit. The upcoming BB 8800 and the Pearl does have memory card support.

Cool! I got mine a few days ago! I love it so far.How did you get that? I tried the software developer's website and put in my email address, but I never did get a reply. Is there another website where I can d/l Ramble?

Ramble™ Instant Messenger

click on download and type in the email address of your blackberry to start the OTA download. You'll get an email and click on a link to start the download.

This sentence in bold. I would NEVER get used to the smaller keyboard than the sk2/3 because I'm one of them with thumbs that are too big to type on the tiny keyboard that are closely spaced together. That's the major flaw with the blackberry devices. If the blackberry has a keyboard that's like the sk2/3 or similar then I would buy one.

True. Its easier for me to type with one hand. Its really hard for me to reach the letters A and s (most common letters) with one hand.

BB 8700 vs SK3

I have the PPC 6700 but decided to get the BB 8700g. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PPC 6700. The 6700 gives me freedom to work anywhere, connects to GPS using bluetooth GPS for driving and geocaching, and playing various games. The cons on 6700 is the batter life (recharged 2-3 times a day), weak backlight on keyboard, and weak vibration.

Now, why I got the BB 8700g? The biggest factor I decided on BB 8700g is the contact list. You can import all of the contact list from Outlook address book into 8700g INSTANTLY. SK3 doesn't have that capability and you will have to individually enter each people email address each time. No question that it will take looooong time. Forget SK3.

I am happy with both ppc 6700 and BB 8700g. :)

What I'm seeing now that Sidekick 3 are being offered as 'refurbished' for less than $100 each. Means already lot of people are trading up their sidekick3's for other devices.

I'll just hang on to my sk2

Richard

Either that, or the Sidekicks keep getting replaced and those broken phones get repaired or put back on the market.

Nobody knows the real reason why there are refurbs out on the market besides T-Mobile.

Back