Black ice in Chicago nearly did me in

Do you have a neighbor who drives that could pick up some necessities for you?

No, but I have other options I am thinking about exploring, just for safety's sake. I gotta obtain that information from someone, and then make some calls.

The slip on rubber Spikies work like a champ and you do not need the most aggressive ones although I would buy a pair if I saw them for sale. The milder spikes work really well and they will take you up hill and down. I used to run with them. There is a fitting to go on a cane or crutch or walking stick too that stabs into ice really well. It is very practical to have this stuff. I keep a pair of Spikies in the truck just in case and keep a pair in the house. I do not wear them in the store. I just keep a small plastic bag with me in my pocket and grab a cart and throw the bag with the spikies in the cart. Get them big enough that it is easy to take them on and off.
There is such good safety stuff out there now it is well worth it to get it and use it.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

goodonya said:
The slip on rubber Spikies work like a champ and you do not need the most aggressive ones although I would buy a pair if I saw them for sale. The milder spikes work really well and they will take you up hill and down. I used to run with them. There is a fitting to go on a cane or crutch or walking stick too that stabs into ice really well. It is very practical to have this stuff. I keep a pair of Spikies in the truck just in case and keep a pair in the house. I do not wear them in the store. I just keep a small plastic bag with me in my pocket and grab a cart and throw the bag with the spikies in the cart. Get them big enough that it is easy to take them on and off.
There is such good safety stuff out there now it is well worth it to get it and use it.

There IS good safety stuff out there, that's true, but it would probably take me a while to save up for them, and considering I wear size 10 shoes, they won't come cheap.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Shoes with spikes wouldn't be much help around here.... I live between three hills, and it would just make things more treacherous. One of these hills is really STEEP, and is a long way down, so yeah, it's not much help (that's my opinion only).

Why do you feel that shoes with spikes would make walking on hills more treacherous? I would think that if you're on a steep surface, it would be even more likely that you'd slip, and so the extra traction on your shoes would be even more beneficial. It's very hilly here, and my sister has those chains you put on the bottom of your shoes - she loves them.

There IS good safety stuff out there, that's true, but it would probably take me a while to save up for them, and considering I wear size 10 shoes, they won't come cheap.

I don't think they gouge you for larger sizes. Here's a link with lots of choices and it seems (I just took a quick look) that there's just one price per model, not varying by size.

I'm probably going to get a pair of Yaktrax - that's what my sister has.

Why do you feel that shoes with spikes would make walking on hills more treacherous? I would think that if you're on a steep surface, it would be even more likely that you'd slip, and so the extra traction on your shoes would be even more beneficial. It's very hilly here, and my sister has those chains you put on the bottom of your shoes - she loves them.

I don't think they gouge you for larger sizes. Here's a link with lots of choices and it seems (I just took a quick look) that there's just one price per model, not varying by size.

I have a set of those too. This stuff last a very long time and is well worth the money. At size 11 and a half they have them to fit me.

amylynne said:
Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Shoes with spikes wouldn't be much help around here.... I live between three hills, and it would just make things more treacherous. One of these hills is really STEEP, and is a long way down, so yeah, it's not much help (that's my opinion only).

The chains I've heard of, and know they work, but I've never brought winter safety gear before, so I honestly couldn't say if it's good or not, because I just don't know.

Sick of black ice and snows - come down to Atlanta or New Orleans.

Enjoy mild weather in southern states.

Sick of black ice and snows - come down to Atlanta or New Orleans.

Enjoy mild weather in southern states.

The AllDeaf Mobile site has suddenly stopped cooperating with me :(

Anyways, I COULD use a break from the nastiness around here, and I'm supposed to be running errands on Tuesday, and the weather this week does not look promising, and by the looks of it, it may be a while before it warms up again, so while waiting to head to the bank, my money will build up nicely.

Update: Per www.accuweather.com, the earliest I could go to the bank would be Jan. 6th, when the temps would be barely above freezing. I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Maybe it needs refreshing? Or a temporary glitch? (It happens.) Reception problem?

What exactly happened?

Anyways, I COULD use a break from the nastiness around here…
If there is any nastiness, just ignore it or go to another thread. No ADer is required to participate in threads that are uncomfortable.

...Update: Per Local Weather from AccuWeather.com - Superior Accuracy™, the earliest I could go to the bank would be Jan. 6th, when the temps would be barely above freezing. I'll be keeping an eye on that.
Have you tried on-line banking?

Reba said:
Maybe it needs refreshing? Or a temporary glitch? (It happens.) Reception problem?

What exactly happened?

Anyways, I COULD use a break from the nastiness around here…
If there is any nastiness, just ignore it or go to another thread. No ADer is required to participate in threads that are uncomfortable.

...Update: Per Local Weather from AccuWeather.com - Superior Accuracy™, the earliest I could go to the bank would be Jan. 6th, when the temps would be barely above freezing. I'll be keeping an eye on that.
Have you tried on-line banking?

The website just froze, and my post wasn't entered. Done the refreshing, and it didn't help.

I was referring to the weather, not the posts here. The posts here are okay.

Yes, I do on-line banking, but not everything can be done that way, but for the most part, yes, I do set up my bills online.

The website just froze, and my post wasn't entered. Done the refreshing, and it didn't help.
How is it now? It seems to be working again.

Heh, heh, my bad! :lol:

I'm glad that the posts are OK.

Reba said:
How is it now? It seems to be working again.

Heh, heh, my bad! :lol:

I'm glad that the posts are OK.

Must've been the wifi reception. For some reason, it works better on the 1st floor than it does on the 2nd.

Update: the region is about to get slammed with four or more inches, starting tonight through Jan 2nd. How much we're getting is not yet known. Just great.

Today's weather will see light snow between tenths of an inch to 1 inch, and it might potentially impact rush hour, as the NWS says that roadway treatments may not be effective.

For Dec. 31st through New Year's Day, the snow will begin around 10 AM or so, and the total accumulation is supposed to be 3-5 inches, but the roads will be slick, and travel will be impacted. For those of you traveling through here, please use extreme caution, as it may not be safe. (The City has 274 snow plows; they're gonna be needed). Drive safe, and be careful!!

Last edited:
I live in Chicago as well, and black ice sent my parked car flying down my driveway in the middle of the night and set off the car alarm.

arao6 said:
I live in Chicago as well, and black ice sent my parked car flying down my driveway in the middle of the night and set off the car alarm.

That's no fun. And it's only gonna get worse. I am SO not looking forward to leaving this house when all is said and done. In fact......

There. Got that one errand taken care of for Jan. 2nd. I was supposed to pick up a check for doing some computer work, but I recently asked them to send it by mail, and that'll allow me to stay nice and warm. :)

Last edited:
Ouch! Any damage done?

It rained here heavy last night and the steps where very icy in the morning. I put some sand /salt on the steps so no one would fall and when I came home later in the day my idiotic neighbor swept the sand off the steps again. We have a rug right in the hallway to wipe the bottom of your shoes off so there is no needs to sweeping the sand off. The guy is a tenant not and an owner so if anyone fall and get hurt it will not affect him.

whatdidyousay! said:
It rained here heavy last night and the steps where very icy in the morning. I put some sand /salt on the steps so no one would fall and when I came home later in the day my idiotic neighbor swept the sand off the steps again. We have a rug right in the hallway to wipe the bottom of your shoes off so there is no needs to sweeping the sand off. The guy is a tenant not and an owner so if anyone fall and get hurt it will not affect him.

Explain to him that having ice on the sidewalk could potentially do somebody in, and they could be seriously injured, and that the sand was a safety measure. If he keeps it up, you have options. If you own/run the place, you can warn him that you will not tolerate his sweeping the sand off the steps, and if he doesn't listen, you might be able to evict him for safety violations (don't know if that's applicable there or not), and tell him he needs to be compliant with what you want to do, or you'll kick him out (that's only if you own/run the place, which I don't know that you do).

Last edited:

Explain to him that having ice on the sidewalk could potentially do somebody in, and they could be seriously injured, and that the sand was a safety measure. If he keeps it up, you have options. Report him to management, or file a complaint to prevent him from doing it. Either way, you have rights.

The sand is on the steps and you're right I am putting it there as safety measure and I am putting there just encase some does fall my condo can say they got took some measures to keep someone from falling. However we have a new company managing our condo and the guy is not too bright and he got ice melt to put down, and once the ice does melt it has no place to run off and the water refreezes . I am going to try and move out this place before is get any worst here. I can't stand living with stupid people. It's so good to have someone that understand what I am doing, thank you.

whatdidyousay! said:
ChicagoBlue2 said:
Explain to him that having ice on the sidewalk could potentially do somebody in, and they could be seriously injured, and that the sand was a safety measure. If he keeps it up, you have options. Report him to management, or file a complaint to prevent him from doing it. Either way, you have rights.

The sand is on the steps and you're right I am putting it there as safety measure and I am putting there just encase some does fall my condo can say they got took some measures to keep someone from falling. However we have a new company managing our condo and the guy is not too bright and he got ice melt to put down, and once the ice does melt it has no place to run off and the water refreezes . I am going to try and move out this place before is get any worst here. I can't stand living with stupid people. It's so good to have someone that understand what I am doing, thank you.

Just happy that you are happy that I understand why you're doing it. :)

Last edited:
Back