Bilingual Education is the Best Option

Hahahahahahaha! OHHHHHH U really haven't met many, then.

are you kidding me right?

Seriously? Otay.

:lol:

Yes seriously. The comment expressed was....

Txgolfer, the trouble is that hearing parents think that it's an either or approach. Like they think if they do ASL, they can't do spoken language....or they think that Deaf Schools are some glorious utopia where everyone Signs only and speech training isn't offered.

1) There are parents that seek ASL tutors,parents that send kids to bi-bi schools, parents that send there kids to publics schools with ASL Terps. So sentence one is false. Not ALL parents think this.

2. The second sentence is completely flawed. If a parent recognized a school as lacking something (speech training in this case) they couldn't , at the same time, view it as a "glorious utopia". "Utopia" a community of perfection therefore one cannot see a flaw in a community AND refer to it as a "Utopia" correctly.

1) There are parents that seek ASL tutors,parents that send kids to bi-bi schools, parents that send there kids to publics schools with ASL Terps. So sentence one is false. Not ALL parents think this.

2. The second sentence is completely flawed. If a parent recognized a school as lacking something (speech training in this case) they couldn't , at the same time, view it as a "glorious utopia". "Utopia" a community of perfection therefore one cannot see a flaw in a community AND refer to it as a "Utopia" correctly.

U said you don't believe that they think this. My mom and several of my friends' parents did.

Ok, I admit my response was not really needed. I did that out of 1) disbelief, 2) sarcasm and 3) disbelief, again.

How many parents have come on this board defending their choice to use oral-only? A good number. Some stayed a while, some left right away. It's not a new concept. We have seen parents who DO believe that if their child is exposed to ASL, their English will rot. For them, it is either/or. But, too many of us are living proof that isn't true. But it IS what some parents think. I'm sorry to say, I think you're being naive to think that some parents don't think this way.

U said you don't believe that they think this. My mom and several of my friends' parents did.

Yes, but if you read the next part (lumping parents together) you will understand the context.

Ok, I admit my response was not really needed. I did that out of 1) disbelief, 2) sarcasm and 3) disbelief, again.

How many parents have come on this board defending their choice to use oral-only? A good number. Some stayed a while, some left right away. It's not a new concept. We have seen parents who DO believe that if their child is exposed to ASL, their English will rot. For them, it is either/or. But, too many of us are living proof that isn't true. But it IS what some parents think. I'm sorry to say, I think you're being naive to think that some parents don't think this way.

I totally agree that it is what "some" parents think. Absolutely. And some parents think that if kids get hearing aids the deaf community will cease to exist. Both are extreme viewpoints rather than the norm.

gotta say, parents really need balanced information, and same time, balance approach in education (which also means balance outlook of deafness to be expected inside 'it'_) so then as we could hope the kids not pressured to adopt an opinion to appease, but to affirm how really they feel, I worry that parent never asks their kids...and that 'missing' social 'norm' if you will, really can make 'alternative' as 'Deafnes' rather than 'deafness' , (cultural, or redefined normal vs medical need to get over POV)...seeme more OK, like the 'overcoming or to be NORMAL ' SEEMS right...seems the best becaue tse it means we 'choose' to be mixing in the hearing world, it sounds nice (sometimes it is until reality hits)...and then...but if the 'message' has carried that 'not wanting perfect speech' is NOT a failure...and if wanting to learn WITH sign its not a failure again,, now
not only the kids have to really know this or feels this, but also the people who are NOT deaf /Deaf have feel OK about the existence of d/Deaf people...
too often we're treated like some kind of accident culture or pretend we didnt fail but we have deaf culture... or pretend there deaf culture is only for those who cant make the grade for speech and English...

what im saying is
its all about clarifying and not to say use less words to say something, but create more literature use your imagination, and dont hide behind the likes of Paddy Ladd or Harlen Lane, what about YOUR unbanished expressions!

and parents really have to realise communication is NOTHING compared to connection with feelings and souls, its like you can communicate so will with someone of a million words and can mean nothing just consumption and pretence

young deaf children, teens and young deaf people are sensitive not as 'because deaf overreacts' never, its more about 'making up for lost meanings, it is a habit of deaf-ness...in a way that it is NATURAL for d/Deaf to feel like this...

whih is way so often we ALL, including those 'gone hearie' knows this and remember this urge to escape the imprisioning of having lack of communication'...

its that sort of thing we need to really explore more... and not repeating the same old culture vs ci or mainstream vs segregation etc etc

its something I just felt to share now that we need to try be more inventative about expression and at the same time, inventative about politicalising ourselves

Yes, but if you read the next part (lumping parents together) you will understand the context.

Sorry..u said you don't beleive parents think that way at all.

I say that they do.

That's all.

All parents think that way?

No, I don't believe hearing parents think those things at all

The way you phrased it...u stated that you don't believe that any of them think that way at all.

No, I don't believe hearing parents think those things at all

The way you phrased it...u stated that you don't believe that any of them think that way at all.

Like I said the comment has to be put in context. Regardless, the comment has been clarified.

Back