Bilateral!!!!

Inmate23, In Uk we as adults cannot go Bilateral either.

in nz kids or adults cant get bilaterals and you dont another ha for the other ear

Congrats to MissKat, I hope it goes well for her.

in nz kids or adults cant get bilaterals and you dont another ha for the other ear

Actually NZ Deaf kids or Deaf Adults can get bilateral CI. The only thing is bilateral CI is not funded by government so parents would have to find a insurance who would pay for it or pay it out of their own pocket.

I don't get why most insurance companies and governments don't cover bilateral HA's or CI's. Anyone knows hearing out of both ears is better than hearing out of one. Glad to hear your insurance does cover it faire_jour, congratulations! :mrgreen:

Actually NZ Deaf kids or Deaf Adults can get bilateral CI. The only thing is bilateral CI is not funded by government so parents would have to find a insurance who would pay for it or pay it out of their own pocket.

Yup thats correct and also if person who is very profoundly deaf no matter what age, still can get CI if they want to. But when finish school, you pay your own pocket to buy a battery which designed only for CI not normal battery for HAs. Cost about $120 a month! Expensive eh!

By the way, congratulations to MissKat and hope it goes success for you! :)

Congrats to Miss Kat!!! Hope she will be able to recover quickly and be able to have 2 ears hearing!!

thats right

I hope Miss Kat's operation will go smoothly and that the CI will work too.

I dunno what Australia's policy is on bilateral. I have seen one child with bilateral CI's but majority of deaf kids have a singular CI.

So I guess one CI is free and the second one have to be paid for by the parents.

Miss Kat is now bilateral!

Surgery went perfectly, she was a little mad when she woke up and threw up twice from the meds, but once we got home she ate, took a nap and is nearly back to 100%! She's in a little pain when the meds wear off, but she takes it again and is doing great. No dizziness, nausea or other complications. She is playing and reading books and just all around doing good.

wow awesome, thanks for the update! glad she's doing well...my friend recently had his daugher who's 2 implanted and he said she was back to herself within a few hrs she was playing and such..kids bounce back so fast from stuff like that! Do you know when A-day is for the 2nd one yet? hope she's 100 percent soon:)

Miss Kat is now bilateral!

Surgery went perfectly, she was a little mad when she woke up and threw up twice from the meds, but once we got home she ate, took a nap and is nearly back to 100%! She's in a little pain when the meds wear off, but she takes it again and is doing great. No dizziness, nausea or other complications. She is playing and reading books and just all around doing good.

I'm glad to hear she came through ok! :)

So glad all is well! Welcome! You've now got a beautiful bi-bi-bi babe: bilateral-bicultural-bilingual!

Though we only expected the smallest improvement in hearing, we've found an enormous difference and experienced a language explosion a couple of months after activation of the 2nd -- the benefit of getting so much more incidental language. We leaped from basic words to full grammatically-correct sentences in a very short time. The change appears small in the booth, in controlled environments, with single words, but where we really saw the difference was in the classroom, in loud chaotic environments, on the playground, where background sounds are high, etc.

And I'm convinced that there's something she recognizes as positive about the balance provided with two -- she began putting them on herself in the morning before we would even think to pull them out of the drybox, requesting a fix if a battery died on one -- she must really notice the difference in sound quality. At the tail end of the day when she's tired, I also notice that she will drop one off (roughy alternating) and go with just one input. And -- considering how often a processor might slide out of position with an active child bouncing around the gym or swinging upside down in the playground -- she no longer has sudden sound blackout moments when a processor temporarily moves.

Li-Li and I wish for good and swift healing to Miss Kat, and a smooth transition as she deals with a new and possibly (initially) wonky sound coming in from that other side until her brain puts it all together. (and good luck juggling twice the equipment ;) )

Activtion is August 25. It is also the second day of school, which is super annoying, but totally worth it!

Ohh too bad you couldn't get it like the day before school...ahh well..what can ya do right? At least she is getting it the first week...the 2nd day is not so bad the first week is getti to know each other and lil stuff anyway usually :) lol good luck Miss Kat!

Back