Beware of Nigerian Scams

How does the fake check work anyways? you said they want 90% of the check they give you. why would anyone believe that anyways? if they really wanted the money from the check wouldnt they just cash it themselves?

I never open an email if i dont know who the sender is. either you are on my list of friends and family or i wont open your email.

You would not believe the people who would fall for these scams. Probably because it is so enticing and they believe they are going to get money back on it. This happened recently to my grandparents. Luckily they caught it before they had too much damage done and they moved all of their cash from one account at one bank to multiple accounts at another bank. This way if they ever get conned again, they won't lose everything.

Another guy I know had his bank account cleaned out within 3 days because someone got a hold of his bank account number and a copy of his signature.

The guy says it will be YEARS before he can even think about making a recovery. Now he will have to hold off retirement for at least 10 years now so he can work on getting everything set back up like it was supposed to be.

hi

I have the same problem with a person named DeafSport who talk to me about money yesterday. I don't believe him. He was telling me about VRS and I never ever heard what he say about the money to earn if I use vrs to call all day. lol thats a lied. Good thing I did post another which was Question about VRS and mostly of people like Joliee_77 and more deaf warned me not to do and block him. So I did block him and NEVER give him my VP telephone number lol

I know 2 ex-roommated who are doin'g this

They found information about the Nigerian Scams and they scams my fiance that time, they asked my fiance for money for the 4.8 millions in 3 box are coming, they lied to my fiance...My fiance is taking them to small claims court for the money they owe him...

The BAD NEWS IS: The ex-roommated still go to the DeafChat scamming people for money with false information they are using to fools them, I've tried to warn everybody from the DeafChat, they don't listen.

There are Nigerian scammers out there trying to scam deaf people. They choose to target deaf communities because they think they can fool us.

Here are some things you need to know in order to protect yourself from being scammed.

1.) There is NO such thing as "free money." If anyone offers you free money, you should automatically consider him/her a scammer. Period! If someone on AllDeaf offers you free money, report that member to me ASAP.

2.) No one works for me. I work alone. If anyone says they work for me on AllDeaf and have selected you as a winner of some prize, they are lying. Report the liar to me ASAP.

3.) Never, ever give out your email address to anyone on AllDeaf, unless you know them personally. Use AllDeaf's private messaging system instead, that's why it was created in the first place.

4.) A scammer usually starts by telling you that he/she is looking for a soulmate, they try to sweet talk to you and make you feel special. Sometimes they even claim to be part of a church group or whatever. Don't fall for their nonsense!

5.) Again, there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE MONEY! A scammer usually asks for your home address, then they send you a fake check which looks real but it's not. They want you to deposit the check at your bank (usually around $3,000) and want you to send him/her 90% cash and you keep 10% cash for "helping out." That's a RED FLAG right there!

If you want to help and add some tips on how to protect deaf people from being scammed, feel free to post here.

Edit: Anyone who has been contacted by a scammer via AIM/MSN/YIM, can you please let me know their screen name so I can make it known to the deaf community. By knowing their screen name, we can block them from contacting us.

Also, anyone has a fake check in hand, if you don't mind, can you please scan it and send me a copy via email so I can show our members what these checks look like? I'll make sure your name on the check is not shown.

The BAD NEWS IS: The ex-roommated still go to the DeafChat scamming people for money with false information they are using to fools them, I've tried to warn everybody from the DeafChat, they don't listen.

That is deafchat's problem and all you do is pray someday the deaf chatters will wake up and realized that you were right.

Marie

I wish I could give out information on this person

The people that I used to roommated from Oct 2003 to May 2004, one white girl is from Canada has no green card and is living in Penn with another man and her other husband is black is from Virginia, they both got married in Oct 2003 and I interpreter for them at the courthouse on the day of their marriage...They separated in the fall of 2004, first we roommated in New York and her husband fooled my fiance about the 4.8 millions in 3 box coming from Nigerian and he handed the fake key to my fiance, playing the games on my fiance, made my fiance believed they're getting the money, it was all a lies, my fiance gave him more money in order to get the 4.8 millions, found out until we all moved to Las Vegas which my fiance looks up Nigerian Scams and found those information that our ex-roommated used to fooled him, he felted like an idiots, but I told him you're not the onlys one lose the money, others have lost their money to those couple too, our other ex-roommate lost over $5,000. on those couple, yes my fiance and other ex-roommate got scammed by those couple, both couple are deaf, as long that girl is married to that black guy, she's involved with her husband scamming innocent people, we found out that time she separated from her husband and she said that her husband owe 60 to 100 of people's money, our jaw dropped, it's a shocked.

I like to give their name out, but it might be against the rule here, but these couple are dangerous people, playing tricks on many people, they have to be stopped from hurting more innocent people, yes my fiance lost the money so did the other ex-roommate of ours, we roommated with internet people and we learned the hard lesson from the couple played the tricks on us, they are bad news, they stole my exercise video plus she came close to keeps my heart necklace she stole from me and she puts them back when I mentioned about the heart necklace was missing, so one of my storage bin was missing, she kept it and lied to me saying she don't have it, so I lost some valuable stuff...

I just want you all to know Do Not RoomMate with Internet People you Meet On the Net, there might be more people like our ex-roommate, stealing and lying, using people to get their needs, they are not honest people who cannot be trusted periodly, you should not trusted anyone, either they are deaf or not, hearing impaired or not, I learned the hard lesson from my interpreter from Las Vegas, she was shocked to learned that I was roommated with 4 people from the Net, she told me that people from the DeafChat looks for people to USE, to STEALS, to roommate to use you to help them with rent and bills to live in the state of their dreams, plus to steals your stuff too...

The couple dreamed to live in Las Vegas, we shouldn't have went along with it...

They're desparated for a roommate to live in their dream, because her husband cannot afford to live alone with her, he used us to helps with rent and bills to live in their dream to live in Las Vegas, his wife did not help with the rent and bills, just me one woman and 2 men plus her husband pay half the rent and bills, there's more story to it anyway...

Hope others will learns from my mistake also my fiance's mistake also one other roommate's mistake too....This isn't a Prank, it's Real, it has really happend to us and it sure was a NightMare!!!

That is deafchat's problem and all you do is pray someday the deaf chatters will wake up and realized that you were right.

Marie

The people that I used to roommated from Oct 2003 to May 2004, one white girl is from Canada has no green card and is living in Penn with another man and her other husband is black is from Virginia, they both got married in Oct 2003 and I interpreter for them at the courthouse on the day of their marriage...They separated in the fall of 2004, first we roommated in New York and her husband fooled my fiance about the 4.8 millions in 3 box coming from Nigerian and he handed the fake key to my fiance, playing the games on my fiance, made my fiance believed they're getting the money, it was all a lies, my fiance gave him more money in order to get the 4.8 millions, found out until we all moved to Las Vegas which my fiance looks up Nigerian Scams and found those information that our ex-roommated used to fooled him, he felted like an idiots, but I told him you're not the onlys one lose the money, others have lost their money to those couple too, our other ex-roommate lost over $5,000. on those couple, yes my fiance and other ex-roommate got scammed by those couple, both couple are deaf, as long that girl is married to that black guy, she's involved with her husband scamming innocent people, we found out that time she separated from her husband and she said that her husband owe 60 to 100 of people's money, our jaw dropped, it's a shocked.

I like to give their name out, but it might be against the rule here, but these couple are dangerous people, playing tricks on many people, they have to be stopped from hurting more innocent people, yes my fiance lost the money so did the other ex-roommate of ours, we roommated with internet people and we learned the hard lesson from the couple played the tricks on us, they are bad news, they stole my exercise video plus she came close to keeps my heart necklace she stole from me and she puts them back when I mentioned about the heart necklace was missing, so one of my storage bin was missing, she kept it and lied to me saying she don't have it, so I lost some valuable stuff...

I just want you all to know Do Not RoomMate with Internet People you Meet On the Net, there might be more people like our ex-roommate, stealing and lying, using people to get their needs, they are not honest people who cannot be trusted periodly, you should not trusted anyone, either they are deaf or not, hearing impaired or not, I learned the hard lesson from my interpreter from Las Vegas, she was shocked to learned that I was roommated with 4 people from the Net, she told me that people from the DeafChat looks for people to USE, to STEALS, to roommate to use you to help them with rent and bills to live in the state of their dreams, plus to steals your stuff too...

The couple dreamed to live in Las Vegas, we shouldn't have went along with it...

They're desparated for a roommate to live in their dream, because her husband cannot afford to live alone with her, he used us to helps with rent and bills to live in their dream to live in Las Vegas, his wife did not help with the rent and bills, just me one woman and 2 men plus her husband pay half the rent and bills, there's more story to it anyway...

Hope others will learns from my mistake also my fiance's mistake also one other roommate's mistake too....This isn't a Prank, it's Real, it has really happend to us and it sure was a NightMare!!!

ahh now I understand what you mean about the problem you have. Thank you for explain to me about it. Lucky I did not have a roommate or etc because I don't trust anyone from internet or in person. I have to be more careful with it. Thank you very much.:ty: :bowdown: I will do becareful for what you told me

Marie

Pepe no worries I know who your talking about and now thanks to this post I now know WHO you are!

What a beautiful name you have, Taric. I'd like to comment about your vlog regarding nigerian scams. That was a real clever video decitated for deaf people. I get that kind of BS everywhere especially in email but RARELY on IM's I am on (Yahoo and AIM). I have noticed that Nigeria is very poor, they don't have very much to hold on. I've never been victimized or conned of a scam like this in my whole life. Not only deaf people get scammed by nigeria scammers, hearing people do get scammed, too.

My two cents,

LeezaC

Wow, PowerWCRulez, I didn't expect to see you on AllDeaf. Remember me from HipTop?

Anyway, the FBI cannot do anything about it, if it goes through UPS, DHL FedEx, etc. Make sure to tell the scammer to send it through the regular USPS (United States Postal Service) mail. If they send it through USPS, then it's mail fraud, and they can do something about it.

I blogged about this.
Taric Alani's Video Blog (VLog) 0002 on

Hi, I'm Taric Alani. I'm here, in my room, using American Sign Language, but you may notice, this time, I'm not voicing. The reason why is a lot of people, in the Deaf community, prefer sign and voice separate. The reason why is English and ASL are not the same language. For example, word order is not the same, so my blog will still have voice, but it'll be separate from the sign. In my first blog, I discussed scam in Nigeria, because my videos are not available there. A lot of scammers get the IM screen name or e-mail of a Deaf person on deafVP.com and vplist.com, and they try to steal money from them. How do they do that? They send counterfeit money orders, and a lot of times, the Deaf person completely buys it. Don't believe their mendacity! Please, if you have IM name or e-mail address on there, please remove it. Ok, I hope I've been helpful today. If you have any more future comments or suggestions, tell me. I want to know what you want to see in my future videos. Thank you for watching!

*Rolls eyes* at those idiots.

I've never been scammed, thankfully. I haven't even gotten a single scam letter since I got my first email address.

I'm now majoring in IT, and part of an IT admin's job is to keep up with security.

And to shel90, lol at your comments about yourself capable of being a bitch. Heck, look at me; I'm a grouchy guy for now (I think you know why). So, the scammers can't prove if I'm "caring" or not.

They are such idiots, period.

LOL at "douche-monkies"!! I love that. What a stupid sorry story I've heard of.

My two cents,
LeezaC

Here's another one for YIM name is yetti_sweetie23. This person claimed someone kidnaped her mother and took her to Nigeria, she had to fly there to get her mother, and now has no money to get her and her mother back. I saw this one coming from a mile away.

I even went so far as to get how much money she "has" to get her and her mom back home and found a site to get tickets from there to her supposed home. Found 2 tickets she could afford as well. Just in case. It's funny how hard she fought that info and said she still needed the money.

Anyway, watch out for her/him.

Oh yeah, I met this person in deafchat chatroom. I can't remember the name they used though. Watch out for these douche-monkies in there.

Question About Nigeria Scam

This is for Alex and everyone who reads this forum,

I'd like to know how Nigeria scam evolved everywhere and why they are targeting hearing, deaf, especially older people? Your input here is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

My two cents,
LeezaC

Yeah, I don't know why people go for online relationships.

I don't like it when people are like... "So, we're boyfriend/girlfriend? We've known each other online for a year. So, we should be boyfriend/girlfriend!" Come on. Seriously. Why the hell should it be considered a relationship?

I've seen people become boyfriend/girlfriend after knowing each other online for a few weeks and then meeting in person for the first time. Will those relationships last? I don't think so.

With Nigerian scammers, an engagement can also be used as a scam itself. "I am going to do this, you mind helping me? I need money for this and that for our wedding. After time goes by, the scammer is collecting more and more money. At the same time, "Oh, while I'm working on this... you mind sending me a check for this much? I can't cash it here. Thanks." At the end, the scammer either disappears or calls off the wedding... with you losing a lot of money. :(

True True, here's how I prevent getting those emails, I simply have my filter set so that it scans the body of the email message, so if it detects the words Nigeria or Africa. The email is immediately discarded. TAKE THAT SPAMMERS!!

I've seen people become boyfriend/girlfriend after knowing each other online for a few weeks and then meeting in person for the first time. Will those relationships last? I don't think so.

heh..look at me, I'm getting married...:D But I do understand where you're coming from, not all will have a positive ending. ;)

~RR

I totally agree with you VamPyro

One thing I could not understand what makes people thinks they know each other a week or months or years and then meetin' in person or movin' in with the person and then later you find out this isn't the person I thought I once knew from the online...

Funny my fiance walks into this girl's townhouse both of them ran upstair and had sex right away, this is the stupidest the dumbest thing to do, sleepin' with a completely stranger you just met for the first time, my fiance thinks he know her real well for 2 years, yes onlys on the online is stupid, not smart...

Because this girl has mental plms, which I talked to her ex-boyfriend who they had a child together, he told me she threw a baby kitten on a wall and killed it plus this girl has PID, it's a sexually transmitted diseased, I thought my fiance was smart enough to wears a raincoat, no he wasn't too bright when he jumps in the bed with her not knowin' anythin' about her, it'sss stupid!!!

My fiance talks to this girl for 2 years, he really thought he knew her very well, but over the online ??? Wait a minutes he was wrong, he has wasted 2 years talkin' to this girl he doesn't even know and he moved in with her after talkin' to her for 2 years and guess what happen, she left him within 9 mos and 3 day, it's a long story anyway...

Once you meet someone on the online for the very first time, should not be talkin' forever until you meet the person in real life, get off the computer and meet the person at a public restuarant is the safe way to do that, actually a person needs to know that person very well should just move there or stay at a motel get to know that person real well, online do not works...

Talkin' on the phone, E-mailin', Talkin' on Aim or Msn or Yahoo, writin' letters, there's no magic bullet, it doesn't work to get to know the person, I was told by a counselor, that meeting a person in real life is better than talkin' on the phone, aim, msn, yahoo or email or writin' letters, these doesn't help nor works to get to know the person's behavior, it's best to face to face the person to get to the know the person's behavior and the person's family, etcs...

I don't believe in talkin' to a completely stranger over the net, not interestin' wastin' my time on the person I don't know at all on the net, I rather do it in real life then the Net ...

My hearing sister said there's a bunches of Losers on the Internet, I totally agrees with her.

Also met my interpreter in Las Vegas she was shocked to learned that I was roommated with internet people, she warned me about people on the internet, they steals, they use people, they're just desparted, it's awful...
Yeah, I don't know why people go for online relationships.

I don't like it when people are like... "So, we're boyfriend/girlfriend? We've known each other online for a year. So, we should be boyfriend/girlfriend!" Come on. Seriously. Why the hell should it be considered a relationship?

With Nigerian scammers, an engagement can also be used as a scam itself. "I am going to do this, you mind helping me? I need money for this and that for our wedding. After time goes by, the scammer is collecting more and more money. At the same time, "Oh, while I'm working on this... you mind sending me a check for this much? I can't cash it here. Thanks." At the end, the scammer either disappears or calls off the wedding... with you losing a lot of money. :(

The scammers got busted!

60 Minutes AU - "The Big Sting" Catching Nigerian Scammers Video

The big sting - transcript of the video (video is not captioned, read the transcript so you know what it talking about)

The old guy who got scammed is soo damn foolish to give the scammers money for 15 yrs and now he lost everything. He finally wakes up and realise that he is not getting many millions as promise by the scammers. Idiot!

Back