Best Webcam??

IF you decide to get Logitech 5000 Pro, Fusion or Utlra Vision, Be sure to download or use software version 9.5.0 instead of newer 10.0.0. Because it have issue with Netmeeting and HOVRS. It crashed PC or Laptop if run video on Netmeeting or HOVRS. Use version 9.5.0 cuz it works nicely with both webchat softwares. Logitech Technician was nice enuf to inform me of problems and hopefully they will have it fix for next software version.
Good Luck
Catty

Techs at Logitech has acknowledged there is a problem in their software v 10.0.0 and higher? I think not. I had spoken with these guys and incident management people about the problem and they did mentioned that it NOT their software. Its the third party software such as HOVRS videosign 2.5. I had spoken with Customer Care guys at HOVRS and was told that they never heard of the problem with Logitech software and had spent more than a week dealing with this issue and they put the blame on Logitech v10.0.0 or higher, not theirs.

Its a lose-lose suitiation here and I don't like the idea and had forced my to downgrade to v9.5.0

Techs at Logitech has acknowledged there is a problem in their software v 10.0.0 and higher? I think not. I had spoken with these guys and incident management people about the problem and they did mentioned that it NOT their software. Its the third party software such as HOVRS videosign 2.5. I had spoken with Customer Care guys at HOVRS and was told that they never heard of the problem with Logitech software and had spent more than a week dealing with this issue and they put the blame on Logitech v10.0.0 or higher, not theirs.

Its a lose-lose suitiation here and I don't like the idea and had forced my to downgrade to v9.5.0

interest, that's something I learn new. Thank.

i'm awaiting for VideoSign upgrade to be compatible with Vista. Since I have hear very few people have complain that VideoSign isn't work on Vista.

It is built in my lappy, I can't take it off from my lappy! And I believe it is 30 FPS. Check out ACER lappy with AMD Turion 64x2 multimedia edition. It got everything built in! Going to test it wirelessly at RIT soon. :-D

Start->Run->devmgmt.msc to check your webcam model

You can take webcam off with screwdriver.

Which model you have?

Ferrari 5000
Ferrari 4000
Ferrari 1000

Aspire™ 9810
Aspire™ 9800
Aspire™ 9400
Aspire™ 9300
Aspire™ 5680
Aspire™ 5630
Aspire™ 5610
Aspire™ 5100
Aspire™ 5040
Aspire™ 3690
Aspire™ 3100
Aspire™ 3050

TravelMate® 6460
TravelMate® 6410
TravelMate® 4230
TravelMate® 4220
TravelMate® 4200
TravelMate® 3270
TravelMate® 2480

AMD Turion is poor for power consumption. I am not happy with 3 hours of battery life for Amd Turion. Intel 2 core is more than 5 hours of battery life.

Recommand best:

1) 640 x 480 / 30 fps

2) high Speed Internet downstream 1024k / upstream 1024k for 640x480
(but downstream 256k / upstream 256k for 320 x 240)

3) high speed CPU

all = VERY FAST SMOOTH, NO BLURRY!

if you have no.1, but no.2 and no.3 mean they will blurry!
if you have no.1 and no.3 but no.2 mean picture and blurry is slow bad picture

AWWW come on... I met you at the bowling.. met you and Richard...You barely have a good vision.... and you were not training to feel fingerspell.... how can you say the webcam were clear.... you barely could see.that well...

I test the webcam with the messenger msn and I am not happy with this because it is so slow...

I've used a logitec quickcam for laptops, but I don't believe it was "pro". imho, it blew.

I got a microsoft lifecam 3000 recently. Fair/Good image quality, and terrific speed. I like it, and it's not costly, like 25$ used on Amazon. No problems in terms of blurry images or the like, but i've got a fairly high speed connection, which is also important.

I test the webcam with the messenger msn and I am not happy with this because it is so slow...

It have nothing to do with webcam. It's MSN messager being slow. It works fine with Netmeeting, Sorenson Envision SL, HOVRS. MSN Messager uses public server that easily bogs down video chat greatly. Even I had lousy lousy VEO webcam (look like UFO w/ blue light) and with it's video exposure adjusted to lowest (video may be dark) and with brightest light lit. Video run smooth and I tried MSN Messager w/ friend. It was slooow and choppy. My logitech Fusion with normal setting (left alone) had same problem with MSN Messager but runs better than VEO webcam.

Why don't you experiement with your webcam on Soenson Envision SL and ask your friend's VP's IP PUBLIC ADDRESS then you dial it with Envision's dial box (use AUTOMATIC tab) and get connect w/ ur friend. You be suprise how smooth is ur webcam while chatting. If your webcam is choppy. Try uncheck "low light" or any automatic exposure that bogs down many webcams performance. Some require you to manually adjust exposure after unchecking it. If you can't get it smooth then it may be lousy webcam.

Start->Run->devmgmt.msc to check your webcam model

You can take webcam off with screwdriver.

Which model you have?

Ferrari 5000
Ferrari 4000
Ferrari 1000

Aspire™ 9810
Aspire™ 9800
Aspire™ 9400
Aspire™ 9300
Aspire™ 5680
Aspire™ 5630
Aspire™ 5610
Aspire™ 5100
Aspire™ 5040
Aspire™ 3690
Aspire™ 3100
Aspire™ 3050

TravelMate® 6460
TravelMate® 6410
TravelMate® 4230
TravelMate® 4220
TravelMate® 4200
TravelMate® 3270
TravelMate® 2480

AMD Turion is poor for power consumption. I am not happy with 3 hours of battery life for Amd Turion. Intel 2 core is more than 5 hours of battery life.

Highlanders,

There are 6 cells or 12 cells battery pack for Acer. Mine is 6 cells used in my Acer Aspire 5040 Turion laptop that allow up to 2 hours battery consumtion. If I had 12 cell battery pack. It'll last longer than 4 or 5 hours. Acer offer as an option. Intel 2 core still have same problem with power consumtion too if they use 6 cells battery pack. I use minimal power setting plus monitor set to lowest to conserve battery. It did last me long.

As for webcam built on Acer, I don't have webcam on top of my monitor (almost many models don't have webcam on top of it too. Few Acer laptop have webcam built in). As those who have it on top of Acer's monitor, Simply disable the webcam hardware configuration in Hardware" section and then install new USB webcam software and install USB webcam. No need to pry Acer's webcam with screwdriver. Careful that monitor is thin as paper w/ glass in it. I would'nt do that. LOL

Last edited:
Highlanders,

I didn't buy Acer Aspire 5040 laptop. I got it free from my friend. He asked me to sell his stuff in Ebay and I get brand new laptop in return lieu of cash. If I were to buy new laptop. I would go for one that have better power consumtion and is 100% compatible with Linux. I don't want webcams built on laptop cuz they are well know for using cheap webcams on top of it. Hearing people don't care about video, but Deafie DO CARES!!!

What choice do we have!? As long as it still runs Avitars and Face animation. I'm happy with it anyway. It could be an issue with ATI or AMD chipset (not the Processor itself) My friend had Logitech 4000 Pro and using the most recent Logitech's 10.0 software on his Gateway laptop. It works fine without glitch cuz it uses Intel chipsets (north and south bridge). Netmeeting works w/o crash. It won't run Avitars and Face animation cuz his webcam is "old". That explains why Logitech tech didn't know much about it. Maybe I can address issue to ATI service (my lappy use ATI Xpress 200 north and south bridge). I don't know what chipsets your desktop or laptop uses? One of my desktop that use VIA chipsets did crash when using Netmeeting. But if I use VEO's software and run Netmeeting with VEO webcam. It doesn't crash. same goes for my Lappy. It's more likely Logitech's software that's why I am pointing at.

Back