Best Webcam??

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
I notice that we, the Deaf community, got different concerns about webcam that many major websites (liek Amazon.com) doesn't discuss in depth...

BLURRY IMAGES while signing!

Some webcams have low FPS rate which result in blurry images if you move your hands/fingers too quickly. Some webcams do have high FPS rate but poor image quality...

So I am asking you-- what do you use (brand/model), its FPS rate at which image resolution (30fps at 640x480 for example), and your satisifcation rating with it.

What else do we have to keep in mind when purchasing a webcam??

(I am interesting in having a webcam that is designed for laptops/notebooks-- to clip on or whatever. I do definitely need a portable webcam. So if you do use a webcam for your laptop, DO MENTION IT so I can pay extra attention to your webcam. :thumb: I also refuse to pay big bucks for something meaningless like a webcam. 50$ is the highest I can go... I am fully aware that I get what I pay for, but I just want to get more bangs out of my buck!)

Well, I got webcam built in my Lappy and I have used HOVRS, not bad... close, but not equal to stand alone VP.

I notice that we, the Deaf community, got different concerns about webcam that many major websites (liek Amazon.com) doesn't discuss in depth...

BLURRY IMAGES while signing!

Some webcams have low FPS rate which result in blurry images if you move your hands/fingers too quickly. Some webcams do have high FPS rate but poor image quality...

So I am asking you-- what do you use (brand/model), its FPS rate at which image resolution (30fps at 640x480 for example), and your satisifcation rating with it.

What else do we have to keep in mind when purchasing a webcam??

(I am interesting in having a webcam that is designed for laptops/notebooks-- to clip on or whatever. I do definitely need a portable webcam. So if you do use a webcam for your laptop, DO MENTION IT so I can pay extra attention to your webcam. :thumb: I also refuse to pay big bucks for something meaningless like a webcam. 50$ is the highest I can go... I am fully aware that I get what I pay for, but I just want to get more bangs out of my buck!)

It is built in my lappy, I can't take it off from my lappy! And I believe it is 30 FPS. Check out ACER lappy with AMD Turion 64x2 multimedia edition. It got everything built in! Going to test it wirelessly at RIT soon. :-D

Its model, brand, FPS rate??

Question... :confused:

Is a 1.3 Mpixel resolution at 30 fps on a 640x480 pixel window clear enough to be used for a conversation between two Deaf people fluent in ASL?

TIA! Dave

If anyone have Apple computer, it's fortunately, you can ONLY use iSight, the only best webcam for Mac. It's very smart compress.

Shush, EDGE, with MacTalks...

;-)

I am using PC-- I know isight is good, but NO MAC HERE!

now now, Edge, don't go crazy on me, "GET MAC THEN!!!"
shush...

I have read that Logitech QuickCam Pro is the best (and it is expensive at over 70$)...

I have used "www.cowboyfrank.net" which provides honest review of various models the webowner brought. BUt he doesn't explain whether somewebcams are blurry if you move too quickly etc... wish we do have a Deaf cowboy frank so we can know which webcam is better for US the Deaf people to use for signing. :-/

Allright I got a question that you geeks can answer--

What is the MINIMAL frame-per-second rate for crisp images while signing??????

I know that for video-phone it is 10-12 (which is the LOWEST you can go) fps, but is it the same for a webcam??

Any webcam you likely try will lag. That's just the nature of webcams. You're using a system that has other programs running and sharing the internet connection. With a video phone, you have a device that is dedicated to one purpose, therefore of course the quality will be better. In short, to get the best out of a web cam, sign slower. :thumb:

Any webcam you likely try will lag. That's just the nature of webcams.
I would actually expect that result with the current webcams and associated computer system.

Anybody out there successfully use or have any practical experience with a "cheap" (less than $100) webcam on an "average" SOTA (state of the art) computer purchased new within the past year?

Just curious... :) Dave

Logitech 4000 Pro, 5000 Pro, Fusion or Ultra Vision would be good webcam to buy. It may be expensive. Can get refurbished one cheap in Ebay like I have.. You can try different brands.

It have to do with sensor quality. CMOS sensor is bad for videochat. Can't see dim light well. You might have experienced problem with Sorenson VP100 which uses CMOS. Any Webcams that have CCD or High Quality RGB are very good. Can see dim light well and runs smoother.

Ebay may be a cheap place to buy. Avoid CMOS at all cost!!! Find one that have either CCD or CMOS. You be suprised of it's quality.

IF you decide to get Logitech 5000 Pro, Fusion or Utlra Vision, Be sure to download or use software version 9.5.0 instead of newer 10.0.0. Because it have issue with Netmeeting and HOVRS. It crashed PC or Laptop if run video on Netmeeting or HOVRS. Use version 9.5.0 cuz it works nicely with both webchat softwares. Logitech Technician was nice enuf to inform me of problems and hopefully they will have it fix for next software version.
Good Luck
Catty

While having a better frame rate is good, it would also depend on the internet speed and how well the computer can send frames.

The higher speed connection you have, the smoother the frame rate will be. :thumb:

I tried using my Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe to sign to 2 members of this forum, and they could read me.

It's capable of up to 640x480 with 15 fps (though I swear I got more out of it than that). As a nice bonus, it's Linux-compatible, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it. For Linux users, here's the driver: http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

I'd have no trouble recommending this to people. Just sign slowly enough so you don't blur it.

personally i have quickpro notebook for laptop and quickpro 5000 for my home pcs. they work super ! but yea they are $$$ but worth !

i can chat with my deaf friends - from my webcam to vp device and of course i call some hearing friends through VRS with my webcam. they work just fine.

personally i have quickpro notebook for laptop and quickpro 5000 for my home pcs. they work super ! but yea they are $$$ but worth !

i can chat with my deaf friends - from my webcam to vp device and of course i call some hearing friends through VRS with my webcam. they work just fine.

Second that! Deafclimber! LOL :ty:

Recommand best:

1) 640 x 480 / 30 fps

2) high Speed Internet downstream 1024k / upstream 1024k for 640x480
(but downstream 256k / upstream 256k for 320 x 240)

3) high speed CPU

all = VERY FAST SMOOTH, NO BLURRY!

if you have no.1, but no.2 and no.3 mean they will blurry!
if you have no.1 and no.3 but no.2 mean picture and blurry is slow bad picture

iSight on Macbook are better with iChat AV

I notice there is problem that it wouln't let me move freedom like normal webcam. :-/ That mean, you would have to move laptop around. but for desktop such as iMac. whoooaaa.. that heavy if someone cannot lift. lol lol

im using webcam for months and my mom let me use webcam to my friends and she found out my mom got removes of my webcam because i met my boyfriend and he wanted show my breast on webcam all the times im really pissed off im 25 years old i wanted my own computer! but i dont have webcam i told my boyfriend about that i will get webcam very soon.

im hope i wanted my webcam hide from my mom and my brother they dont distrub my webcam! im hope dont remove! im pray

Back