Best way to develop oral skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rick
Agreed. However, the risk is that some parents may go overboard. It does seem like the type of parents who overprogram their kids, tend to be attracted to oral only AG Bell style programs. Sure there are some parents and families of kids who are doing OK orally......but doesn't it seem like a lot of AG Bell members tend to be kind of the stereotypical whitebread suburban acheiver type?
Look at the listing of colleges that AG Bell scholarship program winners get accepted to....overall they are to very highly selective colleges. Look at AG Bell's emphasis on private schooling etc.

I do not know what you mean by "overprogram their kids" other than it is something that you continuously use and makes no sense.

You seem caught up in some class war that exists solely in your mind and directed against parents who have chosen an oral route for their kids and it is probably to mask your own shortcomings, failures and insecurities. You really need to grow up and move on.

I was an AGBell member for many years, attended several of their national conventions, spoke at a few of them, was a board member of our local AGBell chapter for years and I never experienced any emphasis on private schooling. The focus, to the extent that you can call it such, was on a mainstream education with the appropriate services for that child to achieve to their potential.

It is truly bizarre reasoning to look at the list at the colleges being attended by its yearly scholarship winners and and find fault that these kids are attending highly selective and competitive colleges and universities.

Please tell me how a kid attending an Ivy League school is a negative? How is attending some of the leading colleges and universities in the nations, schools that appear on virtually every "best" college list a bad thing. What, the goal for these kids should be to underachieve and attend the least competitive and selective colleges in the nation?

Exactly what is a "stereotypical whitebread suburban acheiver type"? Sounds like you are just regurgitating something your teacher once said.

If you mean a nice kid who gets good grades, plays sports or an instrument, does extra-curriculars, is involved in her community and is well rounded and is also trying to get into the best school possible, then you have described virtually the type of kid every parent is trying to raise.

Rick

And that is where I disagree. I have seen many deaf children who have very good, age appropriate spoken language. Sometime it is their only language, sometimes it is one of their bilingual languages. They hear well enough to acquire spoken language in a normal fashion.

I agree with you 100%. I have raised such a child. I also had two others sleep over the house on Friday! :)
Rick

I do not know what you mean by "overprogram their kids" other than it is something that you continuously use and makes no sense.

You seem caught up in some class war that exists solely in your mind and directed against parents who have chosen an oral route for their kids and it is probably to mask your own shortcomings, failures and insecurities. You really need to grow up and move on.

I was an AGBell member for many years, attended several of their national conventions, spoke at a few of them, was a board member of our local AGBell chapter for years and I never experienced any emphasis on private schooling. The focus, to the extent that you can call it such, was on a mainstream education with the appropriate services for that child to achieve to thier potential.
It is truly bizarre reasoning to look at the list at the colleges being attended by its yearly scholarship winners and and find fault that these kids are attending highly selctive and competitive colleges and universities.

Please tell me how a kid attending an Ivy League school is a negative? What, the goal for these kids should be to underachieve and attend the least competative and selective colleges in the nation?

Exactly what is a "stereotypical whitebread suburban acheiver type"? Sounds like you are just regurgitating something your teacher once said.

If you mean a nice kid who gets good grades, plays sports or an instrument, does extra-curriculars, is involved in her community and is well rounded and is also trying to get into the best school possible, then you have described virtually the type of kid every parent is trying to raise.

Rick

What services are those that A.G. Bell would be consider to be appropriate for a majority of deaf students?

I have seen many deaf children who have very good, age appropriate spoken language. Sometime it is their only language, sometimes it is one of their bilingual languages. They hear well enough to acquire spoken language in a normal fashion.
Actually faire_jour I would have to concur with jillo here. Yes, some dhh kids have spoken language which is awesome even for dhh folks. However many kids who have speech skills, still have a lot of "hoh spoken language delays." Meaning they aren't as blatent as deaf spoken language delays......but their spoken language still isn't perfect.
Rick, you missed my point. You don't reconize "white/class privilage."
I'm not bashing that sort of thing. I'm simply noting it. I grew up in a town and grew up with kids who experianced that (both here at home, and as a teen at summer camp) You really don't have an idea of how much advantages your race and social class has contribuated towards oral deaf sucess. It's hard to tell if it's methodology sucess or simply sucess that can be attribuated towards race and class advantages.

I think that you are thinking in terms of vocabulary. Much of what is acuired during the acquisition period has nothing to do with vocab. Vocab can be learned. The grammar difficulties generally seen as life long in language delayed children are one of the most pervasive consequences of failure to acquire language.

And if I'm correct, gaps in grammar and syntax are much harder to overcome than gaps in vob. I recall that when I was in kindergarten I had a a slight language delay but it was in my vob rather than syntax.

And how do you do it? 20 minutes a week?

I did it a few hours a week with a professional for several years including a couple of speech classes per week at schools but it's still an EPIC FAIL! I'm an oral deaf (HOH) but I'm still not clearly understood by many. Maybe the hearies should see audiologist to get HA's because of hearing damage from ipod :dunno:

I did it a few hours a week with a professional for several years including a couple of speech classes per week at schools but it's still an EPIC FAIL! I'm an oral deaf (HOH) but I'm still not clearly understood by many. Maybe the hearies should see audiologist to get HA's because of hearing damage from ipod :dunno:

So if a few hours a week isn't enough.....?

And how do you do it? 20 minutes a week?

Well, when I was little I had speech for 15 mintues 3x a week then as I got older, once a month and then I stopped taking speech classes when I was 15. For some, this will work. For others, no amount of speech therapy is going to produce results.

let's just say that time is better spent on intellectual growth (with a deaf-friendly approach) :cool2:

let's just say that time is better spent on intellectual growth (with a deaf-friendly approach) :cool2:

Oh no. We can't have that. We're only intelligent if we have good speech. :roll:

Just to clarify, I am not talking about spoken language as a L1/L2 acquistition or anything like that. I think it's safe to say that it's almost impossible for a born deaf person to be able to speak without some sort of therapy or extra help (correct me if I'm wrong). I am just asking for your opinion if we should even bother with speech therapy and if so, do we do it earlier or just wait until after they have a good vocabulary or what?

Oh no. We can't have that. We're only intelligent if we have good speech. :roll:

I take your point! Today on my way to my daughter's house, I stopped at KFC. I ordered a side salad and they just gave me all the salad dressing packet varieties. I think it was because they did not understand me say ranch.

How I wish I were more intelligent!! :(

Actually faire_jour I would have to concur with jillo here. Yes, some dhh kids have spoken language which is awesome even for dhh folks. However many kids who have speech skills, still have a lot of "hoh spoken language delays." Meaning they aren't as blatent as deaf spoken language delays......but their spoken language still isn't perfect.
Rick, you missed my point. You don't reconize "white/class privilage."
I'm not bashing that sort of thing. I'm simply noting it. I grew up in a town and grew up with kids who experianced that (both here at home, and as a teen at summer camp) You really don't have an idea of how much advantages your race and social class has contribuated towards oral deaf sucess. It's hard to tell if it's methodology sucess or simply sucess that can be attribuated towards race and class advantages.

Are you saying that you think money/time is more of a barrier for developing oral skills than the ability of the deaf person him/herself?

I take your point! Today on my way to my daughter's house, I stopped at KFC. I ordered a side salad and they just gave me all the salad dressing packet varieties. I think it was because they did not understand me say ranch.

How I wish I were more intelligent!! :(

it's because they don't understand English. damn illegals... :lol:

I think I am a deaf (little d) with near or almost zero speech discrimination. But in return I have almost zero proficiency in any form of signed language.

I am probably the model you want for Kat (speech-only wise) but this required constant immersion with mainstream school and constant interaction plus interest in speaking myself.

The benefit of speech is not that great, I mean, it's just to interact with the hearing with less of a hard time.

As you already knew though, to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back