Best way to develop oral skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sit in on IEP meetings as an advocate, so yes, sometimes I do get to see the assessements.

You do not perform the assessments, nor do you have the professional training and education necessary to interpret those assessments. You can only see them and accept someone else's interpretation of such. And no doubt, the person interpreting for you does not have the training and education necessary to give and intepret those assessments, either. The laws are quite strict regarding this.

And that is where I disagree. I have seen many deaf children who have very good, age appropriate spoken language. Sometime it is their only language, sometimes it is one of their bilingual languages. They hear well enough to acquire spoken language in a normal fashion.

Just because it is their only language does not mean that they have acquired it, nor does it mean that they are using it with native fluency.

Just because it is their only language does not mean that they have acquired it, nor does it mean that they are using it with native fluency.

And you can not assume that they are not.

Yes, the people doing the assessements would be professionals and they present their findings and results at the meetings.

You'll also need to operationally define "many" if a statement such as that is to be given any credibility.

And you need to chill. Why does everything have to become semantics with you? Why can't there just be a civil discussion about people's thoughts on the subject?

And you can not assume that they are not.

Yes, the people doing the assessements would be professionals and they present their findings and results at the meetings.

Can you tell me what their professional qualifications are?

I am not assuming. I am relying on several decades of research into linguistics and cognition.

Profound means greater than a 90 db loss. Deaf could mean many different things.

And you need to chill. Why does everything have to become semantics with you? Why can't there just be a civil discussion about people's thoughts on the subject?

because for the sake of argument - it's very important to be as clear as possible.

Can you tell me what their professional qualifications are?

I am not assuming. I am relying on several decades of research into linguistics and cognition.

My own daughter was assessed by a pediatric neuropsychologist who specializes in deaf and hard of hearing children. She was accessed in many areas including language.

I have never claimed anything that wasn't just from my personal experience.

But you made such statements so I just want to make sure we understand each other clearly.

because for the sake of argument - it's very important to be as clear as possible.

Exactly. It is not a matter of semantics, because the terms do not mean the same things at all.

My own daughter was assessed by a pediatric neuropsychologist who specializes in deaf and hard of hearing children. She was accessed in many areas including language.

I'm not referring to your daughter. I am referring to those "many" other children that you continually claim do not have delays. Were all of these children also assessed by a neuropsychologist? I was referring to the assessments you stated you had access to during IEPs. What are the professional credentials of those?

I have never claimed anything that wasn't just from my personal experience.

I differ with that. You told me I can't be helped with hearing aids because of my damaged auditory nerves.

Yeah, me too! I ignored this thread for a while because of this thought.

On that!

If Deaf does not understand the sounds, I don't see how they can develop oral skills. I would understand if they understand plenty of sounds.

For a minute there I thought this thread should have been over in the Penisarium section since you were asking about oral skills........:giggle:

I differ with that. You told me I can't be helped with hearing aids because of my damaged auditory nerves.

I understand that, Bott. My son suffers from 8th cranial nerve damage, as well, and he has always been able to get some sort of benefit from his HA. He has 110 dB loss on one side, and a 90 db loss on the other. It is not so cut and dried when it comes to etiology or levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back