Banning Sign Language When Driving ????????

Purple

Reaction score
Banning Sign Language When Driving

>By Leonard Hall

>Across the country, there are legislative bills being introduced in state
legislatures to ban the use of a cell phone while driving a motor vehicle.
Several states have adopted such a law.

>In the political world, there are ways to add a section onto a proposed
legislative bill which is on a different subject matter so as to make the bill
so unpopular that it will not pass due to major opposition by a large group.

>In West Virginia, one group supporting the bill to ban the use of a cell
phone while driving added a section to ban the use of sign language while
driving a motor vehicle!

>Studies have shown that drivers using their cell phone are three times more
likely to get into an accident and five times more likely to not pay
attention to traffic lights.

>Everyone knows that using a cell phone while driving on the streets and
highways affects traffic safety. Every week, I have seen a driver who is using
a cell phone who is not driving in a safe manner.

>However, there has been no study that shows that the use of sign language
by a driver while driving carries a higher risk of having an accident than
those people who did not use sign language.

>According to my recollection, a few studies showed that deaf people are
better drivers with fewer accidents than their hearing peers. Based upon these
studies, insurance companies stopped charging higher premiums for deaf people
many years ago.

>A representative said that the group is not attacking the deaf people, but
is attempting to drive down the number of distractions on the road. They do
not see how a deaf person can drive and sign safely at the same time.

>Even if there is a study supporting the ban on the use of sign language
while driving, the law should be expanded so that drivers should not talk while
driving. Talking while driving a vehicle involves the same brain functions as
a deaf person using sign language.

>Whether we communicate by talking or by signing while driving, it is the
same distraction. Our brains are focusing on communication, not on our
driving. Sometimes, the person talking will turn to the other person and look for a
feedback.

>Talking while driving is just as unsafe as a deaf person using sign
language while driving. While driving my vehicle, I may use sign language when I am
talking to other passengers in my car.

>My son often tells me not to use sign language while driving, yet, when I
am riding with hearing people, I find that verbal communication is a major
distraction to the driver.

>There is a big battle now going on in the West Virginia Legislature about
the bill banning the use of cell phone and sign language while driving.

>The belief of the group proposing the ban of sign language while driving is
not much different from groups in foreign countries that continue to
advocate that deaf people should not drive at all.

>There are still countries in this world that will not allow deaf people to
get a license to drive a motor vehicle. It is a dishonor to see that deaf
people in West Virginia would have to battle the state legislature to remove
the section banning the use of sign language while driving.

>(Leonard writes weekly column for the deaf community and can be reached at
Legalnetwk@aol.com)

I cannot count the number of times my mom and I (both hearing) have said, "I was having a GREAT conversation and just missed the turn/exit/whatever..."

I must say it's true about signging while driving, I almost hit the curb when I was looking at my son signing to me while I'm driving....Yike!

I agree. There should be a law against signing and driving. I've seen people swerve left and right... and drive slow... cuz they're signing and driving. In Rochester, this is bad cuz almost all streets are 1 lane. Some streets are 2 lanes, but it isn't gonna do any good since they're swerving all over the place and we can't pass. :roll:

My step mother and I signs in the car while she was driving that we signs and she miss it to exit on the road so she has to drive other way to get out on the highway :giggle: .. never hit on the curb or else. .. when I signs to my mom but my mom telling me " I AM DRIVING!! I cant look at you when you are talking" :lol:

Hold up!

http://www.odsc.org/news/banning.htm

This article that the thread starter is referring to was WRITTEN IN 2004! There's nothing to argue about!

Now, some other people have suggested that it's a good law and it should be enacted. I think those people are out of their gourds. If you're going to ban sign language, then you're going to have ban all vocal language in the car (speaking and music) and all signs on the road and on other cars. If you can do that, you can have my full attention on the road.

Dennis.. thanks for bring it up.. :giggle:

When Im driving during turn.. I refused talk.. wait until done turning around or U turn or else...

Straight driving.. I can communcation w/you same time pay attention big picture what you're driving..

If suppose you're in BIG CITY alikely Toronto.. Forget it.. I'll keep eye OPEN and watch ... ain't fun!

ia gree with this.. sometime i driving and my car went to off road oops then drive back on road hwy.. gee!

Dennis said:
...If you're going to ban sign language, then you're going to have ban all vocal language in the car (speaking and music) and all signs on the road and on other cars.

Er...your comparison is not exactly correct. One cannot compare speaking and listening to music while driving similar to using cell phones and signing. This is not to say that the former activities couldn't be distracting to the driver. Of course, this could be the case. However in general, this is not true. Otherwise, almost everybody driving would be driving erratically as most people are either talking to somebody or listening to the radio while driving. Heck, I do it all the time and have no problem keeping my attention on the road!

The issue here is that it has been observed that using cell phones often lead people driving rather erratically and could and have led to dangerous situations (i.e., accidents). Why would using a cell phone be any different than just speaking to a passenger? There is something about using a phone that forces one to focus on the phone itself and less on what is around you. That is one reason why I don't use a cell phone while driving (except real emergencies). I did it once in the parking lot going very slowly and I couldn't believe how distracting it was! I don't know how others do it.

In the case of signing, I can see that one's attention is definitely diverted as you need to use your eyes to see what's being said. That often means turning your head to the signer and it is obviously not a good thing if you are the driver. Some of you in this thread mentioned the difficulties of signing while being the driver.

Whether or not they need a ban on signing while driving...I dunno as the jury still out on that one plus there aren't that many drivers who sign. I do agree with the need to ban the use of cell phones while driving except in emergencies. The problem I see with such a law how do you enforce it? You got cell phones that have attachments to sit on the ear and it is difficult to see them. About the only way people really get caught is either driving like an idiot or it is very obvious they have a cell phone in their hand.

It drives me berserk the way some of my hearing friends fiddle with their radios while driving. Let me tell you, that caused a few close calls. Sigh...

Yea I have notice ppl driving with cellphone and I even yelled at them to get off the phone you fool!!!!

When my cellphone ring I dont answer it but if my son was with me, I let him answer it for me.

When my son talked to me then I asked him to wait til the car is complete stop then talk to me.

Beo, I know what you mean and that what happened to my son and his friend got hit by a car which the lady was fiddled around with the radio. GRRRRRRRRr

I have a site that I wrote to let deaf ppl know what they can do with sign language while driving. I was following behind my friend's vehicle when we were going to the Los Angeles via freeway. She was weaving like almost a drunk driver. The more I have to remind her, the more she seems to be rebellious and uh-oooh, she got a ticket for "weaving." I warned her but she didn't want to take my advice. Some others did took my advice and they're happy to say they're no longer feel like they have a vehicle problem or weaving. So I decided to post on my website to let deaf ppl know what they can do to avoid gettin' a ticket or an accident. Here is what I posted:

Even some of you weave, making it appear if you're drinking and driving. The reason, you are signing with your friend or relative. You need to stop or limit your signing until you get there to an open space where you can stop and sign as much as you want. I was driving behind my friend's vehicle, she was signing to her friend while she drove in her own vehicle, and she weaved pretty bad. I told her what she should do to avoid. She didn't listen; she got a ticket for weaving. Now she learned a hard lesson, she hasn't sign while driving every since. The only way to avoid getting a ticket is to concentrate on the roads and freeways and tell your friend to hold until you get to an open place. You need to pay attention around you so you won't get a ticket. Take your time and slow down, don't over speed.

As to avoiding an accident, this, too, can happen sometimes, don't sign or limit it and pay attention to the roads and freeways. Then you will be surprised that you will have neither tickets nor accidents on your records for many years. You will have no problem with officers either. But they sometimes need to stop you if there is something wrong with your tire or light. Pull over, stop, keep your hands on steering wheels and be very friendly. Officers will do the same if you do. Then that's it. You're on your way to merry-go-around coming home with no ticket nor an accident, but a warning or letting you know. That's all.

There are some visitors from Yahoo search and direct hit... Hmmm..interesting as I checked the statis(sp?) on my site. I used to have over 1,000 until I embarrassed reset it.. :eek: :o Oh, well. Just becuz I updated it last year but I will update it soon.

Unless if a driver is a very, very experienced signer while driving..he/she can be very lucky. But again, it's better to focus on the driving than watching the sign languages and avoiding gettin' a ticket or an accident. :eek: ;)

I remembered when my first experience driving on the road. I used to focus on my friend's hand signs giving me directions to get to his home. :eek: I was driving thru the Jack-In-The-Box parking lot and looked around. <gulp> So embarrassed, we got back on the street until he signed, "I'm hungry. Let's go to Jack-In-The-Box." I turned my vehicle around and parked there and he ate some of his meal. I wasn't hungry but simply embarrassed. <sigh>

Beowulf said:
It drives me berserk the way some of my hearing friends fiddle with their radios while driving. Let me tell you, that caused a few close calls. Sigh...
Oh, jeez. Maybe it needs a remote control device. :D But it can be costly. :o I always set the radio to whatever the station I want to listen. Usually the country station and trance music (which is in CDs or cassette since no station have 'em), well I even listen to Native American (only in cassettes or CDs).

Pomeranian said:
Beo, I know what you mean and that what happened to my son and his friend got hit by a car which the lady was fiddled around with the radio. GRRRRRRRRr
Jeez, your son and his friend are LUCKY. Some drivers who love to fiddle around with the radios even the cellphones...<sigh>

Some drivers should sign the :deal: insurance forms if they ever hit my vehicle with their lame excuses (cellphones, fiddling the radios, puttin' on the make-ups, etc..). I wish. So I can take their vehicles. :D

Whitewolf1970 said:
Maybe it needs a remote control device. :D But it can be costly. ..
Our 2001 Durango came with the radio controls on the steering wheel, so we can make changes by touch without looking down. I think that is common on newer cars.

Reba said:
Our 2001 Durango came with the radio controls on the steering wheel, so we can make changes by touch without looking down. I think that is common on newer cars.

Kewl! Can't wait for a mini TV on steering wheel.....

Are they for real, trying to ban us for using signing? I do not like to talk while I drive but sometime we need to tell others for istance " I need to stop somewhere to go bathromm or warn me of firetrucks"

But I am against any deafies using pager while they drive, it scares me when they do it.

Mookie said:
Kewl! Can't wait for a mini TV on steering wheel.....

BWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM hit direct the pole...
why you're not pay attention carefully.. ?

HEADLINE... drivers is watching mini t.v. and not pay attention on the road.

Mookie is careless driving... (published the newspaper) :giggle: who knows you gonna be next... :D

GalaxyAngel said:
BWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM hit direct the pole...
why you're not pay attention carefully.. ?

HEADLINE... drivers is watching mini t.v. and not pay attention on the road.

Mookie is careless driving... (published the newspaper) :giggle: who knows you gonna be next... :D

LOL! :giggle: Hmmmm....gosh...mini T.V. on a steering wheel. No way am I gonna install it on the steering wheel. Eyes are sooo glued to any show. :eek2: Tehehehehehehe...Mookie. :)

Reba said:

Hmmmmm....*rubbin' chin* Hmmmm...maybe I should...buy....that...Durango vehicle. I'm a music addict. ;)

Back