Baby's reactions to their with cochlear implant

Why would they implant babies at 8 months despite the FDA's recommendations?

Because all the research shows the earlier they get their implants the better the child does with spoken language. The FDA hasn't reveiwed it's recommendation for many years, and surgeons (and insurance companies) see the benefits of doing it younger, so they proceed.

I could say that, but then people would throw their arms up in the air denying it all.

yeah I recall that any doctors won't surgery on infant until 10 to 12 months old for many reasons yet they go for performing on infants' hearing when they are before 6 or 7 months. *shrug*

What if those cutie who were born hard of hearing, not profound deaf. I thought hard of hearing may have chance of hearing ok with hearing aids. My son was born and failed the hearing screen for 3 days in a row then fourth he passed.

Because all the research shows the earlier they get their implants the better the child does with spoken language. The FDA hasn't reveiwed it's recommendation for many years, and surgeons (and insurance companies) see the benefits of doing it younger, so they proceed.

It really shouldn't matter what the studies are showing. The FDA lowered it to 12 months back in 2000. If you feel they need to review its recommendation, file a request with them.

so doctors can perform more babies coming up before other doctors take over the babies. :aw:

What? There are only a few dozen pediatric cochlear implant centers in the US. For example, if you want a CI here, there are only 2 surgeons, one for adults, one for kids. It doesn't matter if you are 6 months or 16 years old, you will have the same surgeon. It is like that in most areas. It isn't like pediatricians. They isn't one down every street.

In an industry that thrives on capitalism, that's the problem. Money talks.

exaclty that's how they don't bother to check ASL or to check Deaf kids' needs. All they care is to make noises that everyone wants deaf babies to hear something. everyone is so joy that deaf babies won't miss the closed door to open the other things.

It really shouldn't matter what the studies are showing. The FDA lowered it to 12 months back in 2000. If you feel they need to review its recommendation, file a request with them.

The guideline may be changed in the future, but right now many children are being implanted much younger than 12 months. (My daughter also got her CI programming "off label" because it is only approved for use in adults in the US, but is being used by children every day)

What? There are only a few dozen pediatric cochlear implant centers in the US. For example, if you want a CI here, there are only 2 surgeons, one for adults, one for kids. It doesn't matter if you are 6 months or 16 years old, you will have the same surgeon. It is like that in most areas. It isn't like pediatricians. They isn't one down every street.

It's YOUR opinion.

My different two doctors refused to perform on my kids' ears for inserting the tubes into their ears till they turn 11 months old and 12 months old. I asked doctor, why can't they do it while my kids were 6 or 8 months old. They say babies ears are too fresh, too small and may have more risk if anything can happen, rather to see the better picture in their ears once they get older the better.
That's how i got under the impression that they do care about how old babies are. All of a sudden, doctors go for it when babies are not reaching to 8 months old yet. because of the fad with CIs going on lately.

exaclty that's how they don't bother to check ASL or to check Deaf kids' needs. All they care is to make noises that everyone wants deaf babies to hear something. everyone is so joy that deaf babies won't miss the closed door to open the other things.

I went to a conference put on by a private oral school last week. Every child there (except Miss Kat who will have surgery next month) had bilateral CI's. These kids are very successful using spoken language as their primary mode of communication, the average age was about 7 years old. We went swimming, and you know what I saw? Every single family signed with their child when their devices were off....just thought I would share......

They are talking about how one doctor will only do what the FDA recommend while another doctor won't. The parents will switch doctor.

I suppose it is all about money.

I could say that, but then people would throw their arms up in the air denying it all.

It's also people who just don't think over their options and act accordingly to "what doctor say, we do", verbatim.

Money is obviously involved in this one way or another, otherwise CI practices wouldn't be making as much or out of business if they were giving honest suggestions.

It's YOUR opinion.

My different two doctors refused to perform on my kids' ears for inserting the tubes into their ears till they turn 11 months old and 12 months old. I asked doctor, why can't they do it while my kids were 6 or 8 months old. They say babies ears are too fresh, too small and may have more risk if anything can happen, rather to see the better picture in their ears once they get older the better.
That's how i got under the impression that they do care about how old babies are. All of a sudden, doctors go for it when babies are not reaching to 8 months old yet. because of the fad with CIs going on lately.

What is my opinion? That there aren't surgeons on every corner? That is what I posted and you quoted????

I have never said that I support implanted kids before 12 months. I was just giving information....

They are talking about how one doctor will only do what the FDA recommend while another doctor won't. The parents will switch doctor.

Some times there are option, like in NYC, or other very large cities, but in general, most people don't have an option of changing surgeons.

I went to a conference put on by a private oral school last week. Every child there (except Miss Kat who will have surgery next month) had bilateral CI's. These kids are very successful using spoken language as their primary mode of communication, the average age was about 7 years old. We went swimming, and you know what I saw? Every single family signed with their child when their devices were off....just thought I would share......

sorry if we talk off the topic that Banjo was talking about the fda law. In your post, yes im sure that some of kids do it very well and the other kids don't do well. There would always have pros and cons. I hope those kids are happy about their lives in the future. thats all matter to me.

What is my opinion? That there aren't surgeons on every corner? That is what I posted and you quoted????

I have never said that I support implanted kids before 12 months. I was just giving information....

but it was implied of your talk in your post. If you did not say that then Ok.

It's YOUR opinion.

I think they didn't want to ruin a perfectly good ear. But deaf ears are already ruined in their eyes.

They are concern because they discovered that children with implants at 12 months still struggle to keep up with their peers. So their solution is implant earlier. I wonder what they are going to do if they discovered that 6 months and 12 months don't really make that much of a different AFTER both group reach to high school (I know it seem like they are doing well while they are children). Then they will have to accept the fact that implant is just an implant and not a substitute for natural hearing.

Anyway being deaf is not a bad thing. They don't need to hurry.

I think they didn't want to ruin a perfectly good ear. But deaf ears are already ruined in their eyes. BTW, My son was suppose to get umbilical hernia surgery at six months of age. I didn't go for it. He is still due for it . I put it off because I was waiting to see if it will close up on it's own, but it never did. Well it did closed up a lot but not fully.

Yeah that's true. But what if they may hear some when they were born then hearing aids might help a little. [/

They are concern because they discovered that children with implants at 12 months still struggle to keep up with their peers. So their solution is implant earlier. I wonder what they are going to do if they discovered that 6 months and 12 months don't really make that much of a different AFTER both group reach to high school (I know it seem like they are doing well while they are children). Then they will have to accept the fact that implant is just an implant and not a substitute for natural hearing.
True. However, you already know it's depend on what indivdual's capabilties with either, their better language, or better socialize life or varies. Again, it's 2010 lots of babies who are not even 8 months old and already got CI. so we have to wait till 2020 to 2040 to see how they are doing? so i can't say it right now
Anyway being deaf is not a bad thing. They don't need to hurry.

Yes. If there are more deaf kids then those people who would make better for deaf kids' needs in school such as improving the academic systems and go on but they didn't. Guess thanks to the oral program that government ( states) are too focusing on it mroe than ASL program. =?

I was born deaf, and rely on ASL all my life. I admit that schools where I grew up, didn't have good academic system. I could have done better such as i could have work harder on writing skill but i wasn't. It was a long story. :)

Back