Baby's reactions to their with cochlear implant

BLeGal2

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDD7Ohs5tAk]YouTube - Jonathan's Cochlear Implant Activation 8 mo., Rt Ear cont'd[/ame]

This is absolutely adorable! It is a very beautiful moment. I am on the fence when it comes to CI cause in my opinion every situation is different so I can't just pick yes or no on them, so as long as these parents don't think their kid is completely hearing now and they realize there is still a lot of work to be done, then this will turn out great. I hope they work hard to ensure that the CI will work the best for their child.

still an adorable video. SO CUTE!:aw:

I love how i messed up the title. It is supposed to say Baby's reaction to their CI** haha w.e.

Yeah i figured, but i wasn't on the site then, so i hadn't seen it yet. besides its cute enough to watch more than once.

The baby is very cute. And it doesn't have to be activation to make him look so cute. A mother's facial expression/signing to interact with her child is just as cute.

The baby is very cute. And it doesn't have to be activation to make him look so cute. A mother's facial expression/signing to interact with her child is just as cute.

:gpost:

YES absolutely! :D

Hmm, I wonder how they managed to get the baby implanted at that age considering the fact FDA will only allow it for babies who are at least 12 months old.

Unless this was done in a different country.

8 months is awfully young for a baby to get implanted. Hearing children can be mistakenly diagnosed with hearing loss at that age. Did they fit the baby with hearing aids prior to the surgery?

Hmm, I wonder how they managed to get the baby implanted at that age considering the fact FDA will only allow it for babies who are at least 12 months old.

Unless this was done in a different country.

8 months is awfully young for a baby to get implanted. Hearing children can be mistakenly diagnosed with hearing loss at that age. Did they fit the baby with hearing aids prior to the surgery?

in US, babies can be implant as young as 6 months.The sad thing is, this baby just got over an illness that caused his deafness (notice he can't hold his head up at 8 months old?)

in US, babies can be implant as young as 6 months.The sad thing is, this baby just got over an illness that caused his deafness (notice he can't hold his head up at 8 months old?)

Ugh, I noticed that too as well.

From what I have read, it's 12 months in the USA. There may be exceptions, but according to several websites, it's 12 months and above. I tried to search the official FDA website, but it doesn't mention anything in relation to that.

FDA usually recommend but it isn't the law that babies can not be implanted before 12 months old. If they did say babies can not be implanted before 12 months, it usually mean they have all the facts that the risk is too great.

A baby's reaction to CI activation varies from shock, scared, indifference, surprise, curious, and excitement. Not all show excitement, some cry to the sounds which is perfectly normal as well.

That video is definitely cute though.

Really? That may explain why he seems to pick up sounds better - he probably "remembered" what hearing was like?

Normally, deaf toddlers wouldn't associate sounds to speech and they would likely panic or cry to new sensation of hearing.

The FDA says 12 months, but MANY surgeons implant as young as 6 months bilaterally. Remember Drew's Dad? His son was bilaterally implanted at 8 1/2 months. The youngest boy at Welcome got his first at 6 months, I believe. It doesn't have to be post menengitis, though they do hurry in those cases. Check out the blogs at CI Circle: Connecting Parents of Children with Cochlear Implants (www.cicircle.org) there are parents their whose babies got their CI's very early.

The FDA says 12 months, but MANY surgeons implant as young as 6 months bilaterally. Remember Drew's Dad? His son was bilaterally implanted at 8 1/2 months. The youngest boy at Welcome got his first at 6 months, I believe. It doesn't have to be post menengitis, though they do hurry in those cases. Check out the blogs at CI Circle: Connecting Parents of Children with Cochlear Implants (www.cicircle.org) there are parents their whose babies got their CI's very early.

Why would they implant babies at 8 months despite the FDA's recommendations?

Back