"Audism Unveiled" Film on DVD

wonder if library might have one? just borrow dvd from the library. :dunno: i d like to see it too.

I saw Audism Unveiled at class in college, I cried tears of joy and sadness.

This is something I encourage you all to see.

Have you seen it? Maybe someone can give a little review about it.
We watched it about a month ago in my interpreting class. Basically, it explorers the roots of audism from an historical perspective and looks at how it manifests itself today. The entire film is presented in ASL, and it's basically Deaf people talking about their experiences. For instance, there's one section where several Deaf people are shown in quick succession talking about whenever they missed something in a family gathering and asked for more information, they were always told, "Later," or "It's not important." The film also discusses the consequences of not teaching a Deaf child to sign and not learning sign language if you have a Deaf child. The most heartbreaking story was told by a man who never "heard" his mother's dying words because she couldn't sign to him, and when he eventually found a pen and paper for her to write on, she died before she could finish.

It's a good film that could open a lot of ignorant eyes.

I just watched this movie in my ASL 1 class on Tuesday we didn't see the whole thing. We maybe say 20-25 mins of the video while our teacher kinda prepared herself. They only told her she was teaching an hour before the first class. I want to see the whole thing I wish it was available online. I was writing notes. and a few things that I wrote down were:

I noe realize that deaf/HOH people all over the world not just USA and Canada face oppesion or what we now call Audism and it's sad.

In my opinion parents should learn ASL. Since I'm learning it neither of my parents want too and it kinda hurts because i have no one to practise with and i've been telling people since i got my HA's that i know one day I will actuallly be deaf and won't be able to hear at all. So im just saying parents should learn to communicate with their kids.

Why would we want a cure for deafness? it only means one cannot hear. it's not the end of the world we are still smart, but alot of people think because we can't hear were dumb. Which isn't fair.

I should of been paying attention to the actual signing but i just kept reading the subtitles and not the way the people were signing.

where is CC? subtitles? I don't understand anything.

what will I learn if I don't understand anything ??????????
also, I feel oppressed - where are my CC?

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

If only they spoke more clearly...

In my opinion parents should learn ASL. Since I'm learning it neither of my parents want too and it kinda hurts because i have no one to practise with and i've been telling people since i got my HA's that i know one day I will actuallly be deaf and won't be able to hear at all. So im just saying parents should learn to communicate with their kids.

Why would we want a cure for deafness? it only means one cannot hear. it's not the end of the world we are still smart, but alot of people think because we can't hear were dumb. Which isn't fair.

I don't quite understand why the use of hearing technology (i.e. HA's/CI/Baja/whatever) leads to the token phrase, "a cure" by people (in general). They are tools that are used to assist in the ability to access sound/environment/spoken language etc.

I agree that the use of sign language is of tremendous benefit.

It's unfortunate that there are still some knucklehead people in this world who are dense enough to believe that being deaf = "being dumb". It can and will make a difference if you take a moment to educate them in their ignorance.

This was a very good movie. It may be available at a library near you- depending on where you live.

I don't quite understand why the use of hearing technology (i.e. HA's/CI/Baja/whatever) leads to the token phrase, "a cure" by people (in general).
Because that's how many people look at it. I had a guy tell me recently that Deaf culture was essentially immoral because it's "celebrating a defect" (his exact phrase) and that Deaf people should feel compelled to seek out a remedy for their condition. So in the eyes of many people in the hearing world, hearing aids and cochlear implants really are a "cure" for deafness.

Because that's how many people look at it. I had a guy tell me recently that Deaf culture was essentially immoral because it's "celebrating a defect" (his exact phrase) and that Deaf people should feel compelled to seek out a remedy for their condition. So in the eyes of many people in the hearing world, hearing aids and cochlear implants really are a "cure" for deafness.

That's why people should take a moment to educate them.

Hearing technology is not a "cure". People are still deaf, even with such technology.

Fuzzy

When we saw the DVD they had CC. There was no audio and because this is only a intro course im the only one in my class that knows the most ASL.

That's why people should take a moment to educate them.

Hearing technology is not a "cure". People are still deaf, even with such technology.
This is also not without its frustrations. Some people simply don't wish to be educated and remain willfully ignorant even when you offer resources with which they could educate themselves.

That said, I agree that we should do what we can, but sometimes you just can't cure willful ignorance.

I wish hearing people would realize were not dumb. and that sometimes there is no cure. My dad said i should get a CI but I know it's not for me and my HA is good enough but since it's getting old i'd like a new one which will never happen i proably have to wait til the HA's are at least 10 years old before i can think of getting new ones. I'll be 26 by then and turning 21 tomorrow so another 5 years before i can new better ones again. sorry went off topic. that's my rant for the night.

Back