Audiologist Just Told Me I'm A Possible Candidate

I got my first hearing aid late ,as well. I was 14 at the time.

I got my first when i was 15 and then the other i got when i was......hmmm....18?

I believe that hearing aids can reduce the hearing ability, and it does worse if went high volume than average.

BOTH of my ears seem to be affected.

If HA was the cause, only my left ear would be affected. I have not worn a HA over my right ear since I was a teen.

Yes, HA can reduce the hearing ability but I don't think that is what happened to me.

I got my first body aid when i was 1 yr old for my right ear.. then my first bte when i was 11 yrs old for my bday gift.. then got another bte for my left ear to experiement to see if it work or not.. but it didnt work.. so i saved that for extra in case other not work.. now two are broken.. so i got new one in 97.. and now?? its not clear as it used to be.. now will try digital hearing aid to see if it does help me or not? wait n see.. i havent got email from the audiologist if the aid come in.. :( so waiting.. ugh! i hate it! lol.. :)

i dont think the ha make my hearing get worse its due to meniere's disease .. it sucks!

I went to see an audiologist last week for a hearing test since I needed a new hearing aid. I was surprised to hear her say that my hearing was getting worse and that I was a possible candidate for cochlear implant. After my next hearing test, the results showed that my hearing aid wasn't any good and that I did worse than without my hearing aid. She then reminded me that it would be a good idea to get cochlear implants. I'm like... WTF!?

I think that she was fiddling with the controls to make me do worse so that she can convince me to get cochlear implants. A friend of mine later told me that this woman as well as the rest of the department... are working with a cochlear implant company. So, they do try to encourage everyone to get cochlear implants. :roll:

I went to see an audiologist last week for a hearing test since I needed a new hearing aid. I was surprised to hear her say that my hearing was getting worse and that I was a possible candidate for cochlear implant. After my next hearing test, the results showed that my hearing aid wasn't any good and that I did worse than without my hearing aid. She then reminded me that it would be a good idea to get cochlear implants. I'm like... WTF!?

I think that she was fiddling with the controls to make me do worse so that she can convince me to get cochlear implants. A friend of mine later told me that this woman as well as the rest of the department... are working with a cochlear implant company. So, they do try to encourage everyone to get cochlear implants. :roll:

If you don't feel trust with audiologist then don't visit again.

Just recommended to visit other audiologist then can doing different to way. I'm looking for new audiologist and ask them to order new digital hearing aids that called SUMO and its work so well for me. Analog hearing aids aren't help me and not good as digital hearing aids. You have choose for not get CI then hearing aids are 2nd optional to wear and just ignore at audiologist that who make profit for CI.

CI is bad idea for people who are HoH.

CI is bad idea for people who are HoH.

Excuse me as I beg to differ! Don't make blanket statements like that without clarifying your remarks. It just depends on the person and what they expect from their hearing in terms of the world at large. For some, it is not a good idea...for others it is a great idea. Each to their own. In my case, it was the best thing I ever done for my hearing...pure and simple.

Excuse me as I beg to differ! Don't make blanket statements like that without clarifying your remarks. It just depends on the person and what they expect from their hearing in terms of the world at large. For some, it is not a good idea...for others it is a great idea. Each to their own. In my case, it was the best thing I ever done for my hearing...pure and simple.

This needs to be repeated again. I agree 100%. :)

You don't got it.

It's my o-p-i-n-i-o-n then don't start attack with me.

Pac - if you are stating an opinion then ADDRESS it like an opinion. Don't just make a statement and expect people to agree with you. Say "in my opinion, blah blah blah" - you might find you'll be understood more, as well.

Pac,

If it is your opinion then, preface it with "In my opinion..." and I would had less reason to say anything about it. In any case, note that I wasn't attacking you but disagreeing with you. There is a big difference between the two. To me, an attack is name-calling or a put-down of some sort. I did no such thing but point out why I disagreed with you. If you thought this was an attack, heaven help you when somebody really does!

Pac,

If it is your opinion then, preface it with "In my opinion..." and I would had less reason to say anything about it. In any case, note that I wasn't attacking you but disagreeing with you. There is a big difference between the two. To me, an attack is name-calling or a put-down of some sort. I did no such thing but point out why I disagreed with you. If you thought this was an attack, heaven help you when somebody really does!

I have admit that you are loyal with CI? Right?

then... how about expected for HoH to wear HA? Most of them are wear HA and using oral language, and attend regular classes, and some of IEP aren't required.

I don't care if you are disagree about it.

I have admit that you are loyal with CI? Right?

then... how about expected for HoH to wear HA? Most of them are wear HA and using oral language, and attend regular classes, and some of IEP aren't required.

I don't care if you are disagree about it.

We are talking at cross purposes here. You made a blanket statement that HOH folks shouldn't have a CI. I merely offered a counter argument because it wasn't true. It really depends if they even qualify for one at all. If they don't, then I agree they shouldn't have one and go the HA route if practical. Where it gets hairy, is when they do qualify for a CI. It is in this situation where for one it might be a good thing or a bad thing. This is what I was alluding to for my opinion. Remember one can qualify for a CI and still wear a HA instead. They might decide they do or don't want a CI. Either way is not an issue with me...it is up to them. Hopefully, we can now bury this... ;)

We are talking at cross purposes here. You made a blanket statement that HOH folks shouldn't have a CI. I merely offered a counter argument because it wasn't true. It really depends if they even qualify for one at all. If they don't, then I agree they shouldn't have one and go the HA route if practical. Where it gets hairy, is when they do qualify for a CI. It is in this situation where for one it might be a good thing or a bad thing. This is what I was alluding to for my opinion. Remember one can qualify for a CI and still wear a HA instead. They might decide they do or don't want a CI. Either way is not an issue with me...it is up to them. Hopefully, we can now bury this... ;)

Yea, its up to them.

If HA does work on me then I'm wouldn't get CI but only in case if I'm HoH.

I'm still learning about all this CI stuff so I'll say nothing.

Ok, I'm venting atm :P

I tried to make a call to UNC today and here's what happened:

ME: I want to call UNC at <numbers> ga
operater: dialing ....
operater: press 1 for English press 2 for spanish ga
pressing for english

I'm thinking arrgh.. why can't this be a nice simple call? Why this labyrith?

operator: Welcome to the audiology dept press 1 for outpatent appt
press 2 for outpatient press 3 for hearing aid repairs press four for <audie's name> press five for <audie's name> press six for <audie's name> press 7 yada yada, press 8 yada press 9 yada ga (sounds professional) (RECORDING)(make seletion) (F) hello you have reached the voice mail of Corrie McPhearson at UNC hospital audiology. I am currently unavailable at this time. However if you'd like to leave ur mesg and contact info after the toneI will return your call asap if you're calling to schedule and appt pls hangup and contact Stacy Jordan at 919 843 4479 howevr if you're callling to shecule and xx an appt for a child under the age of 6 months pls leave me info after the tone including details of the referral and contac into thk u (sounds friendly) (BEEP ANS MACH HUNG UP)(LEAVE MSG QQ) GA
(opr here plse supply the nbr you would like to dial) GA

At this point my mind is racing and I've just found out that my regular TTY is broke. All the keys on the left side of the home row are broke. I'm using IP-Relay. How is the hearing going to contact me?

ME: dial Stacy Jordan.

Operator: dialing Stacy Jordan. RING 1234 PLS HD
(ANS MACH) (F) Hi you have reached speech and audiology scheduling it is impreative to the following info when leaving a msg ur name ur medical record ur date of birth and reason for the call if ur a dr office. We need a referral with the same info attached to it. If you're a new patient and need a medical number pls call <number> to obtain the medical number. Otherwise leave a msg and we'll get back to you within 48 hours

Here I am thinking that they'll prolly ignore my request to email me instead of calling me.

operator: (sounds friendly) (BEEP ANS MACHINE HUNG UP) (LEAVE MSG QQ) GA

DIALING <number> 1235 PLS HD (M) thnk u for calling u nc hospital continue in english press 1 (entered for english) cust service 8:30 to 5pm m to f automated system 7/24 yada yada...press 1 if you don't know your accnt number press 2 if you're a new patient to get a new medical record nbr press 3 if at anytime yada yada ur call will be transfred.

At this point I'm starting to feel dizzy trying t o remember everything. This process seems designed to frustrate everyone and I grit my teeth and my blood pressure goes way up as well

ME: press 2 pls
operator: (M) pls hold while we transfer ur call to next avaliable cust svc rep... (click) (HOLDING) hold (F) regigsteration GA

ME: My name is Ellen and my audiologist said I might be a candidate for CI Her hame is Dawn Console GA there are more details but I'd rather not reveal them here.

operator: while u typed (HUNG UP ANOTHER CALL QQ) GA

At this point I start to entertain the thought that hearing are inheritely rude. I know better but moments like this one has me wondering if most hearing were raised in a barn.

ME: Redial pls GA

operator: (thk u redialing pls hd) (opr here would you like to relay that message when some one answer?)

ME: Yes just so I don't get hung up on again.

operator: (RECORDING) (M) We're xping high volume calls pls HD (HD)(HD)(HD)(HD)

ME to operator: *considers slowly strangling the person who hung up on me :P *

operator to me: :)

operator: (HD) (HD) (HD) (HOLDING) (HD) (HD) (HD)(HD) (HD) (HD) (HD)
(F) thk u for calling how can I help you? qq (relaying ur mesg) is she call to resiter for a medical record nbr qq (sounds pleasant)GA

ME: yes.

operator: dob name (first and last) sex ssn yada yada
I give the needed info over relay.

operator: here's your medical number: <number>

once everything is done, I don't feel like calling more numbers as I'm feeling a bit tired..I'll do more calling tommorrow. This call took two hours to do.

WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO FUCKING COMPLICATED? WHY DOES RELAY HAVE TO BE SUCH AN ORDEAL??? </vent>

:

Oh, I hear you. I fucking hate those automated answering machines...whoever invented the automated answering machine should have millions of brazillian fire ants released on her/his body...argh. AND I HATE MAKING RELAY CALLS TOO!

This is the reason why I HATE THE PHONE. I MEAN HATE HATE HATE.:rl:

Oh, I hear you. I fucking hate those automated answering machines...whoever invented the automated answering machine should have millions of brazillian fire ants released on her/his body...argh. AND I HATE MAKING RELAY CALLS TOO!

This is the reason why I HATE THE PHONE. I MEAN HATE HATE HATE.:rl:

*Cackle* A pox on Alexander G. Bell! :rl:

Damn, I hate answer machine and I just hang up so quickly after answer machine is dissing at me.

Answering machines aren't too bad. Now and then, they can be really obnoxious but typically I have no problems with them. Thanks to my CI it is a piece a cake nowadays!!!

It is when one's hearing is not good is when they are the devil aren't they?

Lucia - You might be pleasantly surprised down the road with your CI...eh? :D

i agree.. i hate the automated answering system.. it definitely sucks!!! too many nbrs, etc and which one to press.. grrrr.. never liked those.. thats why i hate to call ... lol

Back