Audiological abuse

Has anyone ever delibrately made loud noises in or near your microphone?

• Yes with HA.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Yes with CI.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes with both CI and HA.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No.

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's germ if you let your friend wear your ha.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

This was when I was younger and in school! You never shared a coke with your friends? You never drink from the same canteen? You never ate out of the same plate when you are out with your friends at a restaurant so you could try something new and they can try what you are eating??

There are alot more ways to get germs and sharing HA is the least of my worry.

I've never experienced audiological abuse, but I did have an experience that came close to it. Back in my hearing aid days, a classmate of mine picked up my FM system mic and spoke into it so loudly that I nearly jumped out of my chair. Once she saw the look on my face, she apologized repeatedly and told me she didn't mean for that to happen. Oops! LOL.

In my case, the same thing happened too but a certain group of kids kept on doing it just to piss me off. They went to far one time by stomping on the mic in which I was glad cuz I hated wearing the FM system back then. I told them "Thank you for destroying it!"

I know someone who was having a tympanogram (spelling?) - no, it was not an audiogram, this is what she told me, before anybody says anything! - and the audiologist, who she had not seen before, played the sounds a lot louder than she expected in her ears. She complained her usual audiologist who she saw not long after, and the audiologist told this person I know, who is actually studying for Au.D and wears hearing aids, that the matter would be "investigated", but as far as I know, this person I know has not heard from the hospital where this happened.

A tympanogram is not a test that includes sounds. A tympanogram is done with a small blast of air that then monitors whether the ear drum is moving. A flat line, or no movement, indicates that there is fluid present behind the eardrum that is contributing to hearing loss, and that referral to a physician that prescribe medication or insert draining tubes is necessary.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

This was when I was younger and in school! You never shared a coke with your friends? You never drink from the same canteen? You never ate out of the same plate when you are out with your friends at a restaurant so you could try something new and they can try what you are eating??

There are alot more ways to get germs and sharing HA is the least of my worry.

Unless one wants ear mites.

my fiance used to walk behind me and whistle loud and high pitched to imitate my HA feedback, then laugh as I would try to make it stop... he was just messing with me of course, it was funny.

I had forgotten about that! Yes, it happened to me once when I was 15 or 16, by an obese schoolmate. He walked up behind me, put his lips close to my hearing aid, and yelled, "DAVID!" He did it several times. My repeated requests for him to stop failed. During one class I yelled at him, "Hey, Joe! I'm not gonna sleep over! Quit asking me!" The entire classroom erupted into laughter and he was pissed! A few days later I told him that if he screamed in my ear like that again, I would make the same announcements in our other classes. He left me alone after that.

That's great !!!! :D What a good way to get someone to stop picking on you. Couldn't stop laughing over that.

Oh yes! I have had many young kids "test" me by yelling in my ear. It hurts like hell.

There was a friend that would have a screeching scream, and she would scream as loud as she could....she knows it annoys the $hit out of me. I would seriously get mad at her and explain to her that I can hear her and it physically hurts my ear. You know what? She continues to do that because she knows.

Funny thing was, after she was implanted (she only has one)...she stopped. My guess is that she now knows how badly it can hurt!

In my case, the same thing happened too but a certain group of kids kept on doing it just to piss me off. They went to far one time by stomping on the mic in which I was glad cuz I hated wearing the FM system back then. I told them "Thank you for destroying it!"

I had that problem too. Some kids just didn't like the attention I was getting with people wearing the hearing aid so they broke it.

I also had this kind of thing done as an adult by another adult.

All the time when I was younger. Almost every day in primary school. Got into fights because of it.

Not Funny Anymore

I used to scare some full Deaf people. Making squealing noises behind them or sneak up behind them and jump hard on floor to make vibrations.Thought this was very funny. Well, it's NOT. I have a teenaged "friend" who thinks it is SO FUNNY to "sneak up" behind me and then touch me to scare me. I felt like crying. I have neurological problems and cortical deafness. She doesn't GET it. So, I snuck up behind her. I FINALLY got her REALLY GOOD. Oh, she was SO MAD! She was playing "hide and seek" with me in the grocery store.:confused:

Back