Attn: Addressing some issues that has been going on.

For me, posts about sexual assault are a PTSD trigger. I would greatly appreciate if whomever posts something like this would put a trigger warning on it. A trigger warning in the subject line would help me avoid it. A trigger warning is commonly added on sexual assault threads and posts on other sites. I'm not trying to blame anyone. I'm just explaining how I feel when I read these posts.

I generally refrain from postings of this nature, but I will certainly keep it in mind for the future. I'm certain you are not the only one here who has that particular trigger.

For me, posts about sexual assault are a PTSD trigger. I would greatly appreciate if whomever posts something like this would put a trigger warning on it. A trigger warning in the subject line would help me avoid it. A trigger warning is commonly added on sexual assault threads and posts on other sites. I'm not trying to blame anyone. I'm just explaining how I feel when I read these posts.

I apologize if my thread was triggering :( I have the same issue with reading triggering things related to sexual assault. I should have thought to put a warning on my post subject. I am sorry.

That's a good idea for a general forum policy. Maybe in the thread titles we can leave the graphic content out and write something like [GRAPHIC] so that members don't have to see the thread titles unless they want to, in which case they can open the thread to see the title in the first post.

That is actually a great idea! Mods, what do you think?

You know, Alleycat, you've been "on my case" every since I've been here at AD. I'm not the only one who posts threads about abuse of animals, but you like to point me out (It's the 2nd time).

You were given the option to "ignore my post". But it seems out of curiosity, you're still reading them....Why not get on Pinky for her thread of the rape of an 8 day old baby? Isn't that much, much more depressing than animal abuse?

Whether you post or not, I really don't care. I'm sure, almost positive, that if my posts bother anyone, the mods will remove it, and I will apolize. It seems you "do have a personal problem" with me, and I believe it dates back before my being here at AD. I'm not leaving AD, Alleycat! I enjoy my time here, and reading a lot of knowledgeable posts, I just haven't read one of yours.

I suggest you go to the mods and make ur complaint. And I'm asking, again, lay off my case.

I've not been on your case. I have only commented on your threads once prior to this. As for your question about Pinky's post - good question. I wasn't even aware of her thread. Why? Because I haven't been here much. I only visit every few days now because of the very point we're discussing here. And the unfortunate thing about that is that with me not wanting to come here much now, other members here lose out on whatever valuable input I might want to state, especially in the HA/CI sections. I've been deaf all my life and I've contributed a lot to those sections.

(And, FYI, I don't even read the threads you start. Just seeing the titles is enough. And, I am not asking you to leave here, I have never said such.)

Getting derailed here...at the point where someone targeted a specific person.
anyway.....along the 'freedom of speech' thought, internet sites are private property...people have a lot of vfreedom on internet and come to feel it is a public domain....but a web site is created as a private property and retains rights along with that. Teh right to refuse service to anyone...the right to refuse simple access to anyone. In the same manner that you can't go into someone's home and say anything you want...or a businessproperty...you get booted...the same goes for an internet web site. Private property of which the owners have absolute control to limit speech.
I been backing out cuz is someone just playin a game here. not interested. no I don't like to see misinformation spread...or games.....but admin allowing it so whatever. noone likes a liar. I think it's been made pretty obvious regardless of if the person wants to see it.

I decided not to post some disturbing threads after someone complained about it in what are you thinking about thread. I can see why some would rather not see those things.

I think different views should be allowed up to a point. if it ends up in flames, nothing productive is being done. I think debating should be done in a civil manner but that doesn't mean one shouldn't address difficult or converstreal matters.

Hello, Everyone -

As you know, We have been seeing a lot of threads that were closed left and right which typically resulted in to a lot of antics, trolling, provoking, enticing. The lists goes on. Granted, there are a lot of members on this board that has strong opinions. Certainly, we can't have everyone to agree. If we were to agree on everything, it would just make it boring.

But -- It is getting tiresome to see a lot of threads that ends up being locked just because member A and member B keeps going on to the point where they can't agree to disagree or rather, to let the sleeping dogs lie. To disagree is fine. To agree is fine too. If there's a way to say it, fine. We all are adults here on this forum. Come on, I know we all have bright members here that knows how to hold their foot down and still can have a continuous dialogue that can be cordial rather than ending up in an disagreement that turns out ugly.

Just because one doesn't agree does not need to have the say to go "Oh, you're not informed. You're ignorant. You know nothing about this." What's wrong with saying "I'm sorry, I'm afraid that you're misinformed *and insert the correct answer/source* or whatever it is? The point is, time to time, I've said this over and over (which is what I will continue to say so) that when responding to another poster - do it like you mean it with affirmation than just shooting some blank/underlying comments that may seem to go on forever. This is not what we need here on this forum. It's got to stop, really.

Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. While most people on the Internet are ardent defenders of free speech, it is not an absolute right; there are practical limitations. For example, you may not scream out "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, and you may not make jokes about bombs while waiting to board an airplane. We accept these limitations because we recognize that they serve a greater good.

The ultimate response to the 'free speech' argument is this: while we may have the right to say more or less whatever we want, we do not have the right to say it wherever we want. You may feel strongly about the fact that your neighbor has not mowed his lawn for two months, but you do not have the right to berate him in his own living room.

So, with that said; Keep it cordial/clean. If not, It'd be wise to keep it to yourself. It's better that way.

On a final note; If this continues - A ban will be in effect for both sides of the parties. It does not matter who starts it. It lies on both sides because both sides have it at fault for allowing it to happen.

If there's anything else that needs to be said or wants to be discussed about this issue; Please do so, with respect.

Thank You. :)

Thanks, Jolie for creatin' this thread that need to be addressed. Jolie, I don't like what I see about ONE ADer that keeps after each ADer in almost every thread. It's like someone is takin' over this forum. I am gettin' tired of seein' that same person doin' that every day. That same person could create a "problem" for others to start backfire, or provokin' or trollin'.
I already told some of them to find elsewhere where it will interest them, but they tell me that I put my words in their mouth...gee, I find it very unfriendly approach. I thought I was just helpin'. I guess my "help" isn't helpin' at all. :(

I don't like to see one group who jumped in a bandwagon and started throwin' darts against one ADer, if that ADer's opinions/view/etc. is different than theirs. How come they just can't leave it alone and move on to elsewhere instead of bickerin' at that person ? It's like I am watchin' ping pong back and forth. It doesn't matter, if they feel that ADer's informations/or articles are invalid or misinformed or what ever. They should leave it alone and find elsewhere rather than bickerin' at that person for bein' misinformed or what ever they read that person. I mean, come on...just leave that ADer alone, ya know ? It's not necessary to keep pickin' on that person. This AD is NOT high school.

I just don't want ADers to make me to feel that I am NOT part of this family here when they say that I put my words in their own mouth. I don't think it is fair. I was just tryin' to help. I joined here since 2004, I think. I've been around here long enough and some ADers know who I am. I was tryin' to be nice and it is not necessary for some ADers to be mean to me by sayin' like you stated above "Oh, you're not informed. You're ignorant. You know nothing about this."

I supported to some ADers who are tryin' to be nice and explained about their articles when they created their own thread. I can't name names who I supported. :)

I am glad you created this thread, so I can "vent" a little bit to share with you. Many thanks!

I do not want this site to be turned into a site like de******** or Deafnotes where only a certain view is tolerated. de******** seems to be a little more tolerant than Deafnotes. For a site to be successful, different views should be tolerated as long as the poster doesn't belittle or otherwise troll others who disagree with him/her and ending up having threads closed.

However, there has to be limits in how posters treat each other. Although I don't think a certain poster got "ganged" upon because of his unpopular views, rather it was because of inconsistencies in his story; I will leave it to the moderators to make judgements on this. It won't be easy. There could be potenial lawsuits from members here. I don't know much about law but someone pointed out there could be potenial legal issues. However, such cases would be difficult to prove. I am referring to claims of stalking and other stuff which I won't mention.

I can think of one deaf liberal who'd be as unpopular as this certain poster for much the same reason why this poster I have in mind isn't popular. Fortunately for us, he is not a poster here.

Last edited:
I think it goes beyond unpopular belief though. There are other posters on this site with similar beliefs that haven't been ganged up on like this particular poster. This particular poster intentionally starts numerous new threads with provoking titles, which is much of the reason why this poster is targeted so much more than the other members of AD with similar views.

I think it goes beyond unpopular belief though. There are other posters on this site with similar beliefs that haven't been ganged up on like this particular poster. This particular poster intentionally starts numerous new threads with provoking titles, which is much of the reason why this poster is targeted so much more than the other members of AD with similar views.

Yep... I can see the Deaf liberal doing much the same thing to us. Luckily, he's not a poster here.

I'm with you, Jolie_77, I don't particular in those threads anymore where people can't have a civil debates without all the provoking. Politics/Deaf education debates usually aren't very pretty which it has frequently turns ugly.

Words of advice, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. ;)

That can only be true if people are not intentionally trying to bait someone by making cheap-shot comments or type them with snide intentions.

Yeah... I will go over here with my humble violin (with hearing aids, I might add.) :\

It's been said to be civil.....being civil includes being honest, truthful, and speaking with integrity. Spinmiesters are for political campaigning.....it serves no purpose here in AD but to create division.
I don't care if one wants to post about something...but keep it honest, truthful and USE INTEGRITY....don't put a slant on it. Noone denies someone thier choice....but spinmiestering is just filling AD with lies.
Also....as stated...the prez campaign is over...live with it for a while...at least until next election cycle starts...damn......the last one started WAY too early....and next one prolly even sooner....take a damn break......just sour grapes.
I wasn't around here all year.....it just sounds like a continuation of the election campaign.
p.s. I wanted Hillary....was not a fan of who we got......or Bush....but stand behind a president when campaigns are out of season. Give it a rest. The campaign and election are over. And will be back soon enough.
And yes....this rolls over into other subjects the person remarks on.
Opted for ignore button.

That is actually a great idea! Mods, what do you think?

I've not been on your case. I have only commented on your threads once prior to this. As for your question about Pinky's post - good question. I wasn't even aware of her thread. Why? Because I haven't been here much. I only visit every few days now because of the very point we're discussing here. And the unfortunate thing about that is that with me not wanting to come here much now, other members here lose out on whatever valuable input I might want to state, especially in the HA/CI sections. I've been deaf all my life and I've contributed a lot to those sections.

(And, FYI, I don't even read the threads you start. Just seeing the titles is enough. And, I am not asking you to leave here, I have never said such.)

Other members lose out on whatever valuable input you might want to state, especially in the HA/CI sections?......Who or what is stopping you from posting in those sections?....I've never worn a HA and I'm not eligible for a CI, but I've been totally deaf since age 14. So I can't give much input to those sections, you can! What is stopping you to post there? Surely, not me!

So you're gonna blame rockin'robin because of my posts, and not wanting to come here often?....Get real!....You don't see or read of me insulting someone about their post or thread....only if I feel they have insulted me. And a few times, I was mistaken about the "insult" and I apolized. But never, ever have I "singled" out 1 poster for being the "reason" I didn't want to come here!

My being dillusioned and somewhat depressed at AD were NOT because of a poster....basically it was the economy and the jobless, the homeless, etc. And some politics that I did not agree with, but I don't jump in and tell the poster I don't like their post.....BUT, those post were knowledgeble and reality!....We all get depressed and down at times. Even need a break...but to point the finger at "one person" and blaming them for the way "you feel" is wrong.

I'm willing to let it all go. And if you've a problem with me again in the future, pls. PM the mods.

I rarely post anymore because the nitpicking is tiresome to see. I admit I used to contribute to the madness simply because I didn't like certain people, but not anymore. I've got enough drama in my every day life to keep me occupied that I really don't need or want to partipate in it on here. I'm tired of endless arguments that really go nowhere.

Please folks... If you just can't get along with someone, ignore them.

I completely agree with Ocean on all counts. I've read some of the threads and because of so many being closed, I don't post on AD much. I've been guily of doing the things Jolie mentioned, so I try to limit my time on AD because if I don't, it's too easy for me to nitpick, etc.

Other members lose out on whatever valuable input you might want to state, especially in the HA/CI sections?......Who or what is stopping you from posting in those sections?....I've never worn a HA and I'm not eligible for a CI, but I've been totally deaf since age 14. So I can't give much input to those sections, you can! What is stopping you to post there? Surely, not me!

So you're gonna blame rockin'robin because of my posts, and not wanting to come here often?....Get real!....You don't see or read of me insulting someone about their post or thread....only if I feel they have insulted me. And a few times, I was mistaken about the "insult" and I apolized. But never, ever have I "singled" out 1 poster for being the "reason" I didn't want to come here!

My being dillusioned and somewhat depressed at AD were NOT because of a poster....basically it was the economy and the jobless, the homeless, etc. And some politics that I did not agree with, but I don't jump in and tell the poster I don't like their post.....BUT, those post were knowledgeble and reality!....We all get depressed and down at times. Even need a break...but to point the finger at "one person" and blaming them for the way "you feel" is wrong.

I'm willing to let it all go. And if you've a problem with me again in the future, pls. PM the mods.

Not trying to change the subject here, but I'm going to for a second - I'm just curious as to how come you're not a candidate for a CI? I'm not endorsing or "nay'ing" it, just curious. You can answer that elsewhere if you prefer.

Back on track. Listen, I haven't tried to single you out. What I've been trying to say is that there is a good number of us who don't like seeing threads that have disturbing titles, whether it be about animals, child abuse, whatnot. And when any of us click on the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts", there's no way to avoid seeing them. What we have to do instead is go straight to the section (like the HA/CI section, for example) so we can bypass seeing the thread titles that disturb us. Then we miss out on anything new that was posted in other sections that we might've wanted to see and post to. It's clear from other posts that I'm not alone here; there are a number of us who talk outside of AD and we've discussed this issue - there are some posters who have actually left. Some have not posted in months because they won't come here and see these titles that disturb them. This may be a matter of personal opinion among us. It just saddens me that some of us feel limited at what we feel we can look at because we're concerned about what we might not want to see. We can go to CNN and see these titles if we so choose. That's all some of us have been trying to say. I apologize for any personal offense you have taken - it wasn't about you specifically, but the subject nature that's been posted. Ok?

Thanks for your responses - for those who have posted in this thread until now.

Evidently, I can see that there are no easy way to get around this. There's some sensitive issues that has been opened out here which is understandable. Moderators and I, for one, would like to see all of us to work together as an community to come forward to share these concerning issues. After all, Many of us have been on this forum for several years. We've got to know each other over through time. I would hate to see it all crumble. This is why I created this thread so that way we all could share our feedback/ideas, or whatsoever it is.

These issues are;

1) Threads that are disturbing and/or triggering.

Many of you have agreed that it is upsetting to see such threads of news/stories which contains of abuse, sex assault, rape, animal bestiality, so and on. I can understand that as some of it does bother me as well. But, as far as reality goes - we see those in the news or elsewhere every day. A member has brought up an excellent idea which I think we could put to use. We cannot avoid it but what we can do is to flag up a warning sign on these threads that may be disturbing/upsetting in order for other members to to know when to avoid these threads.

So, from now and on - If one of you are to post a thread that contains news/stories which may be triggering/disturbing; Please put some kind of "caution" message on the title of the thread. If these caution message are not incorporated in the thread title, You may ask a moderator to edit the thread title for you. We will give this a trial run to see how this works out.

2) Misinformation;

As you know, there are tons and tons of various sources out there that may seemingly too good to be true. What we can do is to try to clear out the misinformation by providing facts to tag up with it. The thing is, over time to time, we have been told to provide sources along with it as per forum rule. At least, Let's not bring the information in without having something to affirm it. What we need to do is to ensure that the information is correct. Now, if a member came in to post the information that seems to be incorrect; It is each and every one of our duty to bring the attention to this member that the information is incorrect by showing them the correct information.

It is just like when we go to a town hall event or watching a debate; Politician A and Politician B will bring up different information that may be so believable. We as the listeners will have to decide it for ourselves to see if it is true or if it is just all bs.

3) Audism

This forum shouldn't have to abhor to audism; but, however - we have a lot of hearing members on this forum. Most of them start with no knowledge or no foundation of how we deaf people are; the way we live; the way we view at things, so and on. I'm not saying that I'm for audism. No matter how much we try to educate them; it may seem that nothing has been going through to get them to understand it; but what we could do is at least, try not to let anything turn ugly with integrity. The point is; this forum is basically for everyone to come in to learn about what retains with the deafness, culture, and the likes of that.

4) Trolling/Bandwagon -

This will not be tolerated at all. Granted, it may be easy to captivate yourself and jump on the bandwagon to gang up on one person but that should not be an excuse to do so.

For the integrity of this forum, We need to see that we all can at least to cooperate with one and another. If not, you guys are aware of what to do. I'm not going to give you a lecture on this. We still can be able to get in on with a debate. Sure, some of the time it can really get so heated and you get yourself lost in the track of the thoughts of these issues. We've all done it one way or another. Just remember, STOP and THINK before you go with it.

Again, Thank You! I appreciate these responses. :)

Not trying to change the subject here, but I'm going to for a second - I'm just curious as to how come you're not a candidate for a CI? I'm not endorsing or "nay'ing" it, just curious. You can answer that elsewhere if you prefer.

Back on track. Listen, I haven't tried to single you out. What I've been trying to say is that there is a good number of us who don't like seeing threads that have disturbing titles, whether it be about animals, child abuse, whatnot. And when any of us click on the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts", there's no way to avoid seeing them. What we have to do instead is go straight to the section (like the HA/CI section, for example) so we can bypass seeing the thread titles that disturb us. Then we miss out on anything new that was posted in other sections that we might've wanted to see and post to. It's clear from other posts that I'm not alone here; there are a number of us who talk outside of AD and we've discussed this issue - there are some posters who have actually left. Some have not posted in months because they won't come here and see these titles that disturb them. This may be a matter of personal opinion among us. It just saddens me that some of us feel limited at what we feel we can look at because we're concerned about what we might not want to see. We can go to CNN and see these titles if we so choose. That's all some of us have been trying to say. I apologize for any personal offense you have taken - it wasn't about you specifically, but the subject nature that's been posted. Ok?

Curiosity killed the cat....I'm done! :D

Thanks for your responses - for those who have posted in this thread until now.

Evidently, I can see that there are no easy way to get around this. There's some sensitive issues that has been opened out here which is understandable. Moderators and I, for one, would like to see all of us to work together as an community to come forward to share these concerning issues. After all, Many of us have been on this forum for several years. We've got to know each other over through time. I would hate to see it all crumble. This is why I created this thread so that way we all could share our feedback/ideas, or whatsoever it is.

These issues are;

1) Threads that are disturbing and/or triggering.

Many of you have agreed that it is upsetting to see such threads of news/stories which contains of abuse, sex assault, rape, animal bestiality, so and on. I can understand that as some of it does bother me as well. But, as far as reality goes - we see those in the news or elsewhere every day. A member has brought up an excellent idea which I think we could put to use. We cannot avoid it but what we can do is to flag up a warning sign on these threads that may be disturbing/upsetting in order for other members to to know when to avoid these threads.

So, from now and on - If one of you are to post a thread that contains news/stories which may be triggering/disturbing; Please put some kind of "caution" message on the title of the thread. If these caution message are not incorporated in the thread title, You may ask a moderator to edit the thread title for you. We will give this a trial run to see how this works out.

2) Misinformation;

As you know, there are tons and tons of various sources out there that may seemingly too good to be true. What we can do is to try to clear out the misinformation by providing facts to tag up with it. The thing is, over time to time, we have been told to provide sources along with it as per forum rule. At least, Let's not bring the information in without having something to affirm it. What we need to do is to ensure that the information is correct. Now, if a member came in to post the information that seems to be incorrect; It is each and every one of our duty to bring the attention to this member that the information is incorrect by showing them the correct information.

It is just like when we go to a town hall event or watching a debate; Politician A and Politician B will bring up different information that may be so believable. We as the listeners will have to decide it for ourselves to see if it is true or if it is just all bs.

3) Audism

This forum shouldn't have to abhor to audism; but, however - we have a lot of hearing members on this forum. Most of them start with no knowledge or no foundation of how we deaf people are; the way we live; the way we view at things, so and on. I'm not saying that I'm for audism. No matter how much we try to educate them; it may seem that nothing has been going through to get them to understand it; but what we could do is at least, try not to let anything turn ugly with integrity. The point is; this forum is basically for everyone to come in to learn about what retains with the deafness, culture, and the likes of that.

4) Trolling/Bandwagon -

This will not be tolerated at all. Granted, it may be easy to captivate yourself and jump on the bandwagon to gang up on one person but that should not be an excuse to do so.

For the integrity of this forum, We need to see that we all can at least to cooperate with one and another. If not, you guys are aware of what to do. I'm not going to give you a lecture on this. We still can be able to get in on with a debate. Sure, some of the time it can really get so heated and you get yourself lost in the track of the thoughts of these issues. We've all done it one way or another. Just remember, STOP and THINK before you go with it.

Again, Thank You! I appreciate these responses. :)

Ihave a question, Jolie, if you don't mind. What about the situation where a poster asks for supporting evidence, and is supplied with the documents and books that offer that support, yet they continue to demand that they be provided with a link? All information cannot be obtained through an internet link to a website. Sometimes, oftentimes, the supporting evidence is contained in actual documents and books. Once the citation for those have been provided, wouldn't you say that the post has been supported?

Mrs. Bucket got it hands down. My feelings are mutual. However, *mod's edit: removed name* isn't the only one who has audist views. There are other members who constantly impose their audist views on many of us who cherish and value our Deaf-world. It shows lack of respecct for the community here on AD. We already deal with it out in real life so IMO, I don't think we should have to tolerate it here on AD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've applied the ignore feature liberally (for several members). It's not a perfect solution but it's within my power to control what I see.

Thanks to the AD community for considering warnings and thanks in advance for members' cooperation. There is a lot of disturbing news out there. With warnings, I can relax at AD. I enjoy the social aspects of AD.

Back