attended a mainstream school??

Asl101student

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Lupe. I would love to ask a deaf and a hard of hearing a few simple questions on ur experiences. This is for school, and I would really really appreciate anybody's help. Thank you thank you. can't wait to hear from you

whats your question...although your subject would not include me

I have to do an interview on someone who attended or attending in a mainstream school. It's only 5 questions, it's for my ASL class. I need help in finding someone. Any help will be greatly appreciated:)

Mainstream is the kill stream of our culture......

I believe I can help you with this area, I am a deaf student attending Rockville High School, which is the main school for the DHOH program in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Mainstream is the kill stream of our culture......

I hate mainstream schools (elementary and high school). Gawd, what we had to put up with. **sigh**

Yep, Hoichi, mainstream schools are killing our primary ASL and Deaf Culture. :(

I hate mainstream schools (elementary and high school). Gawd, what we had to put up with. **sigh**

Yep, Hoichi, mainstream schools are killing our primary ASL and Deaf Culture. :(

Yep..and us Deaf seem at the moment powerless to stop and prevent it.
main stream is the death stream of our culture, by oralist design and dreams of a dsy when all Deaf are assimillated and not one Deafie school remains...
Mainstream is a very important snd powerfull weapon in their arsenal To prevent Deaf from really learninf sign as fluent, at a young age, so is Agenda, they want to rid the world of sign and Deaf culture which they find an abomination.
Mainstream is one ofbtheir tools, and at present a veey successfull one in their end goal...
The death of our signs and our culture, the assimilation of Deaf. Against there will Into hearie culture..
Yep
I know bebonang, its only a matter oF time my friend

To be honest, I don't think you understand the idea of mainstream. I like being in mainstream school because, how am I suppose to know anyone who is deaf in my family. I am the first and will probably be the last in my time within my family to be deaf. Unlike other deaf families where deafness has been the norm in some of their children for generation, they have connection.
Also, I like mainstream because I can get a education I want that I may not find at deaf schools. I am in the PLTW program at RHS and it pretty awesome. I don't even know any deaf schools within 100 miles of Montgomery that deals with technical or engineering programs. Not to mention that there ASL class that TEACHES about deaf culture. I'm taking it cause it is kinda my skate course plus I get to learn more about culture. Turns out that ASL classes isn't all about just teaching signs, they teach deaf cultures and history too.

To be honest, I don't think you understand the idea of mainstream. I like being in mainstream school because, how am I suppose to know anyone who is deaf in my family. I am the first and will probably be the last in my time within my family to be deaf. Unlike other deaf families where deafness has been the norm in some of their children for generation, they have connection.
Also, I like mainstream because I can get a education I want that I may not find at deaf schools. I am in the PLTW program at RHS and it pretty awesome. I don't even know any deaf schools within 100 miles of Montgomery that deals with technical or engineering programs. Not to mention that there ASL class that TEACHES about deaf culture. I'm taking it cause it is kinda my skate course plus I get to learn more about culture. Turns out that ASL classes isn't all about just teaching signs, they teach deaf cultures and history too.

Don't be rude to your elders. She know all about it from being forced to attend it against her will.

I was partly dhh program and Jr High and Highschool mainstreamed, and I don't give it incredibly high marks either.

This post is a great example of mainstream being the death stream of our culture.
Our language is reLegated to one class, ofbteaching asl, (rolls eyes), with some culture tid bits tossed in yeaaaaay
(Shakes head)
bebonang knows full well aboit mainstream young man, she knows full well...
you stand to learn allot from her, if you wish see through your blinders...

I am sorry if I was being rude, I should have not said that and I realize that there was a time when deaf people were being forced to do one thing and only this. I am living in a world where I didn't grew up and went to a deaf school. All my life, I have been mainstreaming.

I am sorry if I was being rude, I should have not said that and I realize that there was a time when deaf people were being forced to do one thing and only this. I am living in a world where I didn't grew up and went to a deaf school. All my life, I have been mainstreaming.

Why?

I think the OP may have meant inclusion mainstreaming, rather then dhh program mainstreaming.
If it helps I do think that a dhh program at a public school can be a good set up for dhh kids who are very academicly strong, but who can still benefit from a regional program set up.

I think the OP may have meant inclusion mainstreaming, rather then dhh program mainstreaming.
If it helps I do think that a dhh program at a public school can be a good set up for dhh kids who are very academicly strong, but who can still benefit from a regional program set up.
This is really true, for me and couple other in school. A lot of the deaf students in my school tend to be academically strong. BTW Dhh means deaf?

How do you know if the grass is not greener on the other side? How do you know if you may be happier at a Deaf school?

I never knew how unhappy I was being mainstreamed until I learned ASL and got involved with the Deaf community as an adult. Hit me hard how much I missed out on communication, information, and language by being mainstreamed. Looking back, I realize where my self -esteem issues and anger came from.

Being mainstreamed sucked.

How do you know if the grass is not greener on the other side? How do you know if you may be happier at a Deaf school?

I never knew how unhappy I was being mainstreamed until I learned ASL and got involved with the Deaf community as an adult. Hit me hard how much I missed out on communication, information, and language by being mainstreamed. Looking back, I realize where my self -esteem issues and anger came from.

Being mainstreamed sucked.

I'm sorry if your experience sucked. I really like being in schools with my friends.

I'm sorry if your experience sucked. I really like being in schools with my friends.

I had a lot of friends but I missed out so much on what is being said both socially and in the classrooms. To me, that's WRONG to deny deaf children 100% access to language and information in the academic setting. I am sure you are missing out more than you think but just don't realize it. I never realized it until I learned ASL and for the first time in my life, I wasn't left out or missing out. That was a huge wake up call for me.

I so wanted to go to my deaf school but my parents wouldn't let me. I hated every minute of being mainstreamed.

I so wanted to go to my deaf school but my parents wouldn't let me. I hated every minute of being mainstreamed.

My parents wouldn't let me but let my brother go to the deaf school. Looking back, I had to scratch my head on that one.

You know, Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off in a deaf school since it would be easier for me. I know I might have a harder time adjusting since I haven't learn ASL until recently(I learned it years back, but I forgot it when I went mainstream and I'm trying to learn it again.)

Back