Atkins

typeingtornado19

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about it? I am trying to decide what to do.

It's basically a low-carb diet.

The way it works is that you eat 2 to 3 full meals a day that consists of food that contain less than 20 grams overall.

Food that contain less 1 gram or less in carbs are usually meat and cheese products. It also includes most vegetables.

That means, no bread... no sweets... no milk or ice cream... etc.

A good 3-meal plan would be eggs (fried, scrambled, omelet, etc) for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and some kind of meat (hamburger, ham, chicken, sausage, etc) for dinner.

A little salad dressing is fine as long as it's normal, not diet salad dressing. Most diet stuff contain more carbs than regular stuff. (Diet soda is an exception since it contains 0g carb.)

As long as the overall carb count is less than 20g a day, you're fine.

You could lose 30 to 40 pounds in 3 months on this kind of diet. :)

It does work but it's not exactly the ideal diet though.

Although it is widely accepted that what Atikins diet does is force the body to use fat as a primary source of energy instead of glucose. Normally, people get most of the energy from carbohydrates but if the body doesn't have any more carbohydrates, it starts using fats/protien as a source of energy. What puzzled people was how people continued to lose weight despite high fat intake. My theory is that even though fat has more calories than carbohydrate itself, I believe it takes MORE energy to convert fat to glucose than to just burn direct carbohydrates hence it makes the diet quite effective at making people lose weight.

Just be sure to eat prescribed diet as suggested by Atkin's. I believe you need a much higher consumption of Vitamin C and naturally most of it is found in fruits, a big no no so taking a Vitamin C should be good along with the daily supplement.

Atkins is a good diet for short term. You can go on the diet for 3 months to lose some weight, then go off as long as you don't gain weight. Then 3 months later, try again.

Yes, it does really work. I have several friends who have been on the diet and it worked very well for them.

There is a very specific diet program by Atkins where you start with under 20 grams of carbs per day for a few weeks. Then after that, you increase your intake to 25 grams of carbs per day for a week, then increase to 30 grams... and so on.

Since your body is getting used to 20 grams, you have to jumpstart it by increasing the carb intake. So, increasing to 25 grams helps... then 30 grams... and so forth.

The general idea is low-carb. But if you want to be more specific with a detailed plan, then read the book or visit their website. :)

you can check out the south beach diet too. I have not look at, atkins for long time ago! i only remember off the top of my head that atkin is completely no carb while south beach diet is a low carbo.

that's all i remember.

My mom have both Ankins and Southbeach diet book. I will ask her if I can borrow hers since she had not been using it. She said it works if follow exactly on Ankins. She lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks. As for me, I would need to lose 50 to 60 lbs!! Just to keep my wife happy and to reduce chance of health issue in future.

Catty

The diet is very effective. Rapid weight loss.

I know of a person that was on it and lost a lot of weight. But had some issues with being constipated often due to the things that often contains carb are the very same, that contains fiber.

My opinion, it would work if you balance with carb and others, that we all need to have some carb in our bodies system. Just cut down on food that has lots of carb slowly i mean very very slowly then your body would get use to it and change the eating habit. i know one person who was totally completed on atkins for a year and she lost about 100 lbs or so. one day she decide not to follow the atkins and the result was that she put 50 lbs back on!!! I think balancing every food is moderatre and watch waht you are eating and cut down on your bad habit of eating at this odd hours etc. good luck!~

The diet is very effective. Rapid weight loss.

I know of a person that was on it and lost a lot of weight. But had some issues with being constipated often due to the things that often contains carb are the very same, that contains fiber.

Yay! rapid weight loss is good. Thanks for all the info.

It's a gimmick diet at best. Resuming eating a HEALTHY diet in which carbs are the staple of all your foods will more likely than not cause you to regain the weight, not to mention the ill effects you may suffer from not consuming nearly enough carbohydrates to keep a human body healthy while on the diet, and overloading on fatty and cholesterol laden foods instead. It is neither a healthy, nor sustainable, diet. It goes against the basic logic of what humans need to eat to survive.

The only way to lose weight in a healthy and long term fashion is to control calories, choose foods that give you better nutritional value for your calorie, and work out.

Weight loss is nothing but making your input (calories consumed through food/drink) less than your output (the calories your body spends functioning, as well as those you burn working out.) Rapid weight loss feels good when it happens, but you're going to feel pretty bad when you put it back on and then some. The key to KEEPING weight off is following a diet that you can stick to long term- one that produces slow and sustainable weight loss.

It's a gimmick diet at best. Resuming eating a HEALTHY diet in which carbs are the staple of all your foods will more likely than not cause you to regain the weight, not to mention the ill effects you may suffer from not consuming nearly enough carbohydrates to keep a human body healthy while on the diet, and overloading on fatty and cholesterol laden foods instead. It is neither a healthy, nor sustainable, diet. It goes against the basic logic of what humans need to eat to survive.

The only way to lose weight in a healthy and long term fashion is to control calories, choose foods that give you better nutritional value for your calorie, and work out.

Weight loss is nothing but making your input (calories consumed through food/drink) less than your output (the calories your body spends functioning, as well as those you burn working out.) Rapid weight loss feels good when it happens, but you're going to feel pretty bad when you put it back on and then some. The key to KEEPING weight off is following a diet that you can stick to long term- one that produces slow and sustainable weight loss.

:gpost:

Atkins "works" by forcing the body to burn fat instead of carbs for energy. This is a physical state called Ketosis and it's not good for the body. At best, it's a short term solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

I would not follow this diet. I did once follow this diet and lost weight then I gained weight plus more. Now I am following my own doctor's order. 60 carb per meal( three times) plus protein and alot of fiber food so far I have lost 15 lbs.

wish u alot of luck.

I would not follow this diet. I did once follow this diet and lost weight then I gained weight plus more. Now I am following my own doctor's order. 60 carb per meal( three times) plus protein and alot of fiber food so far I have lost 15 lbs.

wish u alot of luck.

The best way to lose weight is to do what you did. Go to your Dr and follow a food plan give by your primary physician.

Thats awesome that you've lost weight! :)

A low carb diet like Atkins has been shown very beneficial for type 2 diabetes.

Study backs worth of Atkins diet
Meat counter
Atkins is easy to follow
The controversial low-carbohydrate Atkins diet has scored well in a major US analysis.

The Stanford University study, of more than 300 women, rated Atkins ahead of three other popular diets.

Those who followed Atkins for a year lost the most weight, and recorded the most beneficial effect on their cholesterol and blood pressure levels.

However, the Journal of the American Medical Association study did not look at possible long-term health problems.

It seems to be a viable alternative for dieters
Dr Christopher Gardner
Stanford University

Critics of low-carbohydrate diets say they can store up problems for the future.

The Stanford team found no evidence of such problems emerging after a year on the Atkins diet - but admitted potential long-term problems could not have been identified in a 12-month study.

They also accept that several basic vitamins and minerals can be difficult to get in adequate amounts from a very-low-carbohydrate diet.

However, researcher Dr Christopher Gardner said: "Many health professionals, including us, have either dismissed the value of very-low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss or been very sceptical of them.

"But it seems to be a viable alternative for dieters."

The researchers randomly assigned 311 women to one of four diets:

* Atkins diet: the lowest carbohydrate diet

* The Zone diet: also low-carbohydrate, focuses on a 40:30:30 ratio of carbohydrates to protein to fat, a balance said to minimize fat storage and hunger

* The LEARN diet: Low in fat and high in carbohydrates

* The Ornish diet: Very high in carbohydrates and extremely low in fat

The study was set up to mimic real-world conditions. The participants attended weekly diet classes for the first eight weeks, and received a book outlining how to follow their specific diet.

They were then left to their own devices to follow the diets as best they could.

Easy to follow

At the end of the year, the 77 women assigned to Atkins had lost an average of 10.4lbs (4.7kg).

Our concern about low-carbohydrate diets is that they severely limit the amount of healthy wholegrain foods that people can eat
Dr Frankie Phillips
British Dietetic Association

The LEARN group lost an average of 5.7lbs (2.6kg), the Ornish group 4.8lbs (2.17kg), and the Zone group 3.5lbs (1.59kg).

The Atkins group also registered larger decreases in harmful cholesterol, and blood pressure levels, and a larger rise in beneficial cholesterol levels.

BBC NEWS | Health | Study backs worth of Atkins diet

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! My neighbor is on Adkins, and has lost a lot. I am so jealous, I cant wait!

My mom did really well with atkins until she modified it just a bit and then she gained all her weight back. My mom has been doing LA Weight Loss and loves it. No certain foods just mostly moderation and such. She has lost 110 pounds (she gained all her weight with my brother and I and then she was depressed after my brother died so she gained alot of weight)

My mom did really well with atkins until she modified it just a bit and then she gained all her weight back. My mom has been doing LA Weight Loss and loves it. No certain foods just mostly moderation and such. She has lost 110 pounds (she gained all her weight with my brother and I and then she was depressed after my brother died so she gained alot of weight)

I'm so sorry you lost your brother. I have one I am really close to; but he is 3000 miles away. ((hugs))

Back